Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2020, 08:33 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
not sure i'd call Obama a 'clown show'. he was a hard worker, and at least strived to keep his promises.

he always seemed honest to every question. tactful and diplomatic, the way they all are, but not a BSer - if he needed to save face, he did it, but never danced AROUND the question.

i just don't get the right's disdain for Obama. I get there are differences in philosophy, but i wouldnt have called him the anti-christ, exactly.
I disagreed with a lot that Obama did with foreign policy, but I have to agree with that point. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact he is a minority. And a lot of minority centered movements gained traction during his presidency. All the while the rural areas that are mostly white and make up most of the Republican base fell on really hard times. It was going downhill for them well before Obama. The 2008 recession was the stab in the heart for a lot of those places. Growth came back but most of it was going to the cities and coasts. This enraged a lot of the poor whites and republican base. First came the tea party and then that evolved into MAGA.

They blame Obama for all their issues meanwhile Reagan and Clinton polices had the most negative impact on those places. This was brewing for a long time. It all came out during the first minority president, who other than failed foreign policy did a good job with the overall economy and allowing suppressed minorities to gain traction and rights. And no major scandal.

The white population in rural and rust belt America is suffering economically and with declining longevity and poor health in this country. A lot of people are upset and angry over it. Always east to blame somebody else. Why not blame the black guy in office. Trump is beloved because he makes these folks proud to be white and straight with his rhetoric. Because they have very little else to be proud or happy about with their lives. The country is changing and these folks cannot stop it. Gerrymandering and winning the electoral college only without capturing popular votes is not a long term strategy for success. For the first time ever this country will be a majority minority nation. And a lot of people are uncomfortable about that. And with the younger white population struggling mightily in large rural and rust belt areas.

It’s a sad reality and I don’t. See it changing anytime soon. Both sides need to tone down their rhetoric and meet in the middle but I don’t see that happening.

Last edited by Independentthinking83; 12-06-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
not sure i'd call Obama a 'clown show'. he was a hard worker, and at least strived to keep his promises.

he always seemed honest to every question. tactful and diplomatic, the way they all are, but not a BSer - if he needed to save face, he did it, but never danced AROUND the question.

i just don't get the right's disdain for Obama. I get there are differences in philosophy, but i wouldnt have called him the anti-christ, exactly.
Anti-Christ is excessive, but depends on who you ask, especially with the Benghazi incident and his remarks about it....and a lot of the divide started under him. Many were far done with him, and thankfully Obama 2.0 under H didn’t occur.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:49 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Copy that. Certainly not the best or worst president. Financially, I did very well during his 8 years, and after all, that's all that counts in the good ole US of A!
Copy that, however, with a quality advisor, it’s hard not to make money...and I’ve done much better in a 4 year comparison with Trump, than Obama.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:32 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Rudy has the virus and he’s now hospitalized.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/3850967001/
So what? A ton of people have it. Half the Baltimore team has it. Pittsburgh is breaking records in cases. PA is also breaking records. Point?

I am starting to think the red states that stayed open had it right. A ton of people got it and now they are on easy street compared to the lockdown democrats. Wolf sure made a mess of everything! Maybe Trump should have controlled the crazy people like Wolf, but he is a freedom type of president. Damn, who know Wolf would do such a horrible job! We are toast in PA. Pittsburgh is really going in a bad direction. All that will be left is Chipotle and a few fast food places after Wolf gets it way. Shame. In Florida, everything is open and the little places are going to survive. They did it right.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:37 AM
gg

Two PAT drivers died. I don't really think driving a bus is very safe considering in the article they say passengers have coughed in driver's faces if they asked them to wear a mask. I can see that on a bus for sure. Why wouldn't they have protective glass around them? Cut routes in half during COVID, or shut it down. Too dangerous.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...I2QHOIMM4WAUM/

Old 12-08-2020, 01:17 PM
gg

Remember the good old days when Allegheny County was having a handful of cases here and there. I think Szug-bot was reporting the numbers for a while. Damn, the world is spiking like mad.

I did see a feel good story from the UK earlier today. The first vaccine was giving to a 90 year old and I like when she said, If I can do it, you can too. Love that old generation. Tougher than nails.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-1...st-dose-v-day/

Old 12-08-2020, 01:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Remember the good old days when Allegheny County was having a handful of cases here and there. I think Szug-bot was reporting the numbers for a while. Damn, the world is spiking like mad.

I did see a feel good story from the UK earlier today. The first vaccine was giving to a 90 year old and I like when she said, If I can do it, you can too. Love that old generation. Tougher than nails.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-1...st-dose-v-day/
It's not the old we have to worry about, it's the young that think they don't need it.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:35 PM
gg

Quote:
It's not the old we have to worry about, it's the young that think they don't need it.
Hmm, that is a good point, but will the young just say no to the vaccine? Not sure how many people need to get it as a percentage to knock this thing down hard??? I guess if most everyone that is at risk get the vaccine, then it will just run its course with the young and healthy and it will go away. Maybe once we get at risk people vaccinated, we can just let the young go clubbing and party like rock starts to get this thing over with?

I honestly have no answers. I was looking for any "good news" story I could find in our area and to be honest, I was coming up empty. The 90 year old gave me a little hope this thing will end someday. Damn, it is no doubt going to go a year +.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:45 PM

159 posts, read 172,284 times
Quote:
Because the vast majority of them don't need it.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:57 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Because the vast majority of them don't need it.
Simple sentence, but has a lot to it. So the young never get the vaccine or a fair amount of them. Maybe that is okay if we can protect at risk people. I don't care when I get the vaccine if I ever get it. I just want at risk people to be protected, so the death rate goes to a small number. I think it is going to take some time to get this going. I think the UK will have this kicked much faster than we will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies