Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 05:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Very hard to sort through this thread. Has anyone been downtown in the last two days? What is it like in terms of activity relative to Monday and last week?

Haven't been down, but it looks like pretty dead from the pics in this story;

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...urgh-is-empty/

Old 03-19-2020, 05:12 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
As of 8 p.m. all non life sustaining businesses in PA are to shut down.

This includes construction.

I'm kinda glad actually. I've been working from home, and there's really no room for me to dig any more holes in my back yard...
this will hurt a lot of people. a lot of guys who work very hard in all facets of construction are either now idle, or, in the case of hard working laborers, now without work.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Here is the UK's perspective. I like it to be honest. I feel we need to understand what the intelligent countries are doing.

https://youtu.be/u9pYqjpr7zc

I have no problem with us going 14 days, but after that we need to get back to business and let the sick people stay at home. This thing is very mild. We need to learn from this and remember if we get something with a real death rate, then we go from there, but at least 80% of people will never be tested. Throw that into statistics and this thing is very mild. Sorry, but the media wants you to tune in. Scientists only look at their data and they don't consider untested and they want to scare us into not going out. We need to learn from the top dogs. The UK.

Last edited by gg; 03-19-2020 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
I cant figure out if plumbers/electricians/roofers are included - you need water to live, the stores have uncertain supplies, etc. What if you need a plumber so that you can have water in your house???

Old 03-19-2020, 05:23 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Haven't been down, but it looks like pretty dead from the pics in this story;

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...urgh-is-empty/
It felt like a ghost town yesterday and today. Not like Black Friday or Christmas Eve level of ghost town, but pretty darn close. At least I should be able to park closer to my office tomorrow.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:27 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
It felt like a ghost town yesterday and today. Not like Black Friday or Christmas Eve level of ghost town, but pretty darn close. At least I should be able to park closer to my office tomorrow.
the usual characters at Smithfield Street's bus platform haven't gotten the message. The guy there selling drugs is his usual, confident self. "You all right!?!"

Old 03-19-2020, 05:39 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I cant figure out if plumbers/electricians/roofers are included - you need water to live, the stores have uncertain supplies, etc. What if you need a plumber so that you can have water in your house???
The Governor's Office released a five page document which lists which businesses can and which cannot stay open. I am not sure if it is comprehensive, but it does answer your specific question.

"Personal and Household Goods Repair and Maintenance" is allowed to stay open. I assume that means any businesses that might need to make a repair to your home (e.g. burst pipe, hole in your roof, etc.)

Here is the list: https://www.scribd.com/document/4524...UzuS0VFzeu9gZc

Old 03-19-2020, 06:21 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What do you get out of not taking this seriously?
I'm simply pointing out the fact that the numbers that some people are citing are critically flawed.

This is not my opinion, it is verifiable fact.

You cannot mix two completely different sets of data, and not end up with critically flawed calculations.

People are already acting irrationally, spreading veritably false statistics is irresponsible, and outright dangerous.

Yes, people are going to become infected, and some will die, this is serious.

However, based on everything we know now, there is no realistic possibility that 1.6 million Americans are going to die from the coronavirus.

The questing you should be asking is, what do people get out of posting verifiable false information.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:29 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I'm simply pointing out the fact that the numbers that some people are citing are critically flawed.

This is not my opinion, it is verifiable fact.

You cannot mix two completely different sets of data, and not end up with critically flawed calculations.

People are already acting irrationally, spreading veritably false statistics is irresponsible, and outright dangerous.

The questing you should be asking is, what do people get out of posting verifiable false information.
Facts are often unpopular. By posting exaggerated info, they get more clicks, ratings, joys of blasting political leadership, putting people in panic mode, etc...but it is interesting how so many can be controlled by “but’s” and “if’s”...yet some of the same people that believe it are willing to travel and go into closed spaces and risk being a stat.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:29 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Looks like an old malaria drug has potential to curb the severity of the virus. 5 days of doses mixed with another antibiotic and 70 percent of patients were over it. Hopefully this is it. Easy to manufacture. Bayer made a huge donation of this drug. It is treating patients hospitalized in Boston.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-ma...navirus-study/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies