Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 05:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times

Advertisements

PPS is closed today, because a Colfax student may have exposed to Covid-19.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:14 AM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
PPS is closed today, because a Colfax student may have exposed to Covid-19.
Just Colfax is closed.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Just Colfax is closed.
Yeah, apparently the 5:55am message from the teacher was incorrect.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Can you all stop bickering about Trump and keep this specific to PA, please? Yac has been coming down very hard lately with moderating on here, and I don't want to see yet another thread closed.

Pittsburgh-specific: We went to the Home & Garden Show last night at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. We figured a Wednesday night would be a great night to go after work because there wouldn't be any crowds. Sure enough the place was deserted. We spoke to a woman from Troy Hill who was manning an HVAC company's booth. We said "I bet this place was crushed on Saturday!" She said "No. Not at all. Just a few more people than are here now." We saw a lot of hand sanitizer around.

This shows that people are self-isolating from major public events that have not been canceled. I will say that going to an event like that when it's deserted is highly annoying because instead of just letting you walk around the vendors aggressively push things on you because they're bored and trying to squeeze more sales out of fewer people to justify the likely high cost to appear at the show.

Beforehand we ate dinner at a nearby Qdoba that was also deserted, so restaurants may also be feeling the squeeze from this.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:02 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Can you all stop bickering about Trump and keep this specific to PA, please? Yac has been coming down very hard lately with moderating on here, and I don't want to see yet another thread closed.

Pittsburgh-specific: We went to the Home & Garden Show last night at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. We figured a Wednesday night would be a great night to go after work because there wouldn't be any crowds. Sure enough the place was deserted. We spoke to a woman from Troy Hill who was manning an HVAC company's booth. We said "I bet this place was crushed on Saturday!" She said "No. Not at all. Just a few more people than are here now." We saw a lot of hand sanitizer around.

This shows that people are self-isolating from major public events that have not been canceled. I will say that going to an event like that when it's deserted is highly annoying because instead of just letting you walk around the vendors aggressively push things on you because they're bored and trying to squeeze more sales out of fewer people to justify the likely high cost to appear at the show.

Beforehand we ate dinner at a nearby Qdoba that was also deserted, so restaurants may also be feeling the squeeze from this.
Interesting, I went to Benihana's last night in Green Tree and that place was absolutely bustling like nothing was going on. I'm supposed to see a movie Friday too but probably late so it likely won't be that crowded

After the NBA suspending the season, I'm guessing the NHL will do the same today.

This morning I noticed WAY less traffic than usual on 65 before the McKees Rocks Bridge, though Downtown didn't really seem less busy than normal still, so might have just been a lucky day with traffic.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,024 times
Quote:
This shows that people are self-isolating from major public events that have not been canceled.
I wonder how many folks will still go out on Saturday to celebrate St Patricks Day?

Usually I'm HIGHLY critical of the City of Pittsburgh, but they appear to be very pro-active and responsible about this at least...

Quote:
Director of Public Safety Wendell Hissrich also said the city will be sending letters to bars and restaurants asking owners to limit occupancy due to the coronavirus. Inspectors will be patrolling during the weekend checking how many people are in establishments, issuing fines as necessary and shutting facilities down if needed.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...DG7KUAAUWLNVE/

Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I wonder how many folks will still go out on Saturday to celebrate St Patricks Day?

Usually I'm HIGHLY critical of the City of Pittsburgh, but they appear to be very pro-active and responsible about this at least...
A friend and I were going to, but not now. I'm guessing some will have the same idea too.I'll still go out to the stores and restaurants here and there, but not if they're ridiculously packed.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
though Downtown didn't really seem less busy than normal still, so might have just been a lucky day with traffic.
Yeah, Downtown hasn't seem any less crowded to me. I'm guessing most major employers aren't permitting their employers to telework---yet--until there are confirmed cases in Allegheny County.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Yeah, Downtown hasn't seem any less crowded to me. I'm guessing most major employers aren't permitting their employers to telework---yet--until there are confirmed cases in Allegheny County.
The Crazy Mocha in my building in Gateway Center has been dead the last few days. Both the women who work there are single mothers, and said with their tips being down so much they're going to have a hard time paying their bills. The same is probably going on with everyone who is waitstaff, bartenders, etc.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,024 times
Quote:
Agreed. If anything 28 traffic seemed heavier this morning - perhaps folks are preferring to drive instead of taking the bus due to a desire for social distancing?

Its also going to take at least a few days to spin-up plans for employers to have their employees begin teleworking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies