Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,688,149 times

Advertisements

If we are naming the virus based on blame, then we will need to work WHO into its title. Taiwan reported to the World Health Organization in December that there was human-to-human transmission for the virus and were ignored. It wasn’t until late January that they announced that there was “limited” human-to-human transmission.

https://www.ft.com/content/2a70a02a-...d-df28cc3c6a68

Old 03-21-2020, 06:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...orary-closure/

What a mess this is. At least grocery stores are back up and running. Most were pretty good today.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...orary-closure/

What a mess this is. At least grocery stores are back up and running. Most were pretty good today.
When were grocery stores down and not running?

Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,119,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
When were grocery stores down and not running?

Yeah, my wife hates to be stuck at home. Between her or me we have likely been to the grocery store everyday all week. We were at Costco yesterday, she was at Target Thur. I went to Shop & Save today to pick up a few things for my mom over in Crafton since her place is not allowing visitors and she can't drive.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:11 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,029,737 times
i have to be almost glued to the web, for work - related communication. sorry, but its dumb. i powered down, turned off the modem, and powered down the phone to be left alone.

strangely, through this isolation, i realized for some reason i miss knowing that SCR was in Polish Hill. I lived there for a short while a couple decades ago. i always loved Polish Hill, even though i never thought it was "loveable".

someone i never met, but i always liked hearing SCRs notes from life based in PH. at times driving up through there to cross Upper Hill and get to the birmingham bridge, i'd wonder "if that guy jogging SCR"?

now another non-elitist, non-snob youngish east sider gone.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:06 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,432,847 times
Anyone else locally now playing the fun game of “Is this allergies, a cold, or COVID-19?”

I had a tickle in my throat yesterday and a congested nose. Whenever I blew my nose the mucous was clear. This is typical for the start of seasonal allergies for me annually. This morning the mucous is green as I’m blowing my nose. This makes me think it’s a cold.

I’m not coughing or wheezing and don’t have shortness of breath, so I’m highly doubtful this is COVID-19. Me and my fiancé are both considered essential workers to our employers, so we’ll both be at our offices tomorrow. Out of all the jobs I am cross-trained to do my role as taking non-emergency police reports over the phone has now become critical because I’m the only one cross-trained to do it in the mornings. We spent last week training officers to do my job, too, so hopefully if I DO contract this (as I’m also still taking public transportation to work, and our office can’t really always follow best practices for social distancing), then officers can take over.

On the other hand with almost all bank branches shifting to drive-through business only, and with my fiancé employed in “back office” work to process account openings, credit card applications, check orders, address changes, etc. I’m hoping his work volume becomes so low that they start letting him stay home after this week.

This thing is about to spike in this country. We’re already just behind Spain to claim the number three spot for most cases behind China and Italy. Also, is anyone else as suspicious as I am about China lying about their numbers? There’s no way a nation of ~1,500,000,000 people can consistently be showing ZERO new cases while Italy, Spain, and the US are still rapidly escalating.

Also, if anyone wants to be tested the Central Outreach Wellness Center (COWC) will be conducting testing all week at the zoo parking lot in Morningside and their office in Aliquippa. You do not need a referral from a physician OR insurance. Dr. Stacy Lane, who runs COWC, is a saint! Proud to call her a fellow North Sider!

Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,432,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i have to be almost glued to the web, for work - related communication. sorry, but its dumb. i powered down, turned off the modem, and powered down the phone to be left alone.

strangely, through this isolation, i realized for some reason i miss knowing that SCR was in Polish Hill. I lived there for a short while a couple decades ago. i always loved Polish Hill, even though i never thought it was "loveable".

someone i never met, but i always liked hearing SCRs notes from life based in PH. at times driving up through there to cross Upper Hill and get to the birmingham bridge, i'd wonder "if that guy jogging SCR"?

now another non-elitist, non-snob youngish east sider gone.
Thanks for thinking of me.

After living in Polish Hill a decade I don’t miss anything about that neighborhood now that I’m gone. Went from paying $1,000/month to rent a 1-BR apartment due to the rental shortage in this city to paying $400/month for a 2-BR home. It was a no-brainer.

Since I’ve moved to Marshall-Shadeland I’ve already enjoyed being able to walk to a coffee shop in Brighton Heights, Tom Friday’s Market, and, closer to home, a corner store/bodega (Polish Hill needed one of these), and the local Kuhn’s (albeit them boarding up their doors starting at 6 PM due to crime is certainly disconcerting). A corner cafe and Cerasoli’s Pizzeria are next on our list to try out.

In any event stopped by Polish Hill yesterday to pack another hatchback-load of possessions. Numerous couples were out and about jogging or walking dogs as if no pandemic was going on. NONE of them were the first to say “Hello” to me as I passed them, and only a few returned my pleasantry or acknowledged me. I will not miss the snobbery of the East End at all.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:26 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
what 'blame'? it is a fact - this started in china.

should history books be rewritten to replace "GERMAN measles"? why "blame" germany?
It’s not the 19th century anymore. We have official naming conventions, and the world decided to call this novel coronavirus Covid-19. That’s how things work. No one was even colloquially calling it the “Chinese Virus”. You would have to be an absolute moron or bigot POS to think calling it the Chinese Virus is a neutral act.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Coronavirus testing will be available at the Pittsburgh Zoo's parking lot starting on Monday.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...ittsburgh-zoo/

Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,900,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
One confirmed case in Washington County. The first in the Pittsburgh area. We are under a state of emergency. I haven’t heard of morgues being overrun or people dying in the streets elsewhere. It looks like this is a huge overreaction. The economic toll is going to be steep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Please stay home if you can. Cases are spiking in PA. Large clusters in Allegheny County, which is Becoming an epicenter. Lots of people and dense population is spreading this

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...egheny-county/
Lmao. Thought this all was such an overreaction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies