Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

PIAA is cancelled for now and the Big 10 and ACC that involves Pitt is also cancelled.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:02 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Not much changed for us at work, I work from home so really a non issue for me but we were told any meetings of 50 or more people we are not allowed to attend. I was supposed to be in DC end of April for a FEMA conference but I'll guess it gets canceled.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
NHL suspends season.

https://www.wpxi.com/sports/nhl/pitt...KGA5DDW6PMCT4/

Riverhounds suspended for 30 days.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...son-suspended/

Old 03-12-2020, 02:46 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
The Allegheny County Health Department just held a press conference. Nothing major of note that I could discern from the parts I was able to watch. There were reps from ACHD as well as AHN and UPMC. They commented on number of hospital beds available, testing capacity (we aren't testing nearly to lab capacity right now), and of importance of social distancing, especially for elderly and those with preexisting conditions. I'm not sure if anyone else who caught the presser gleaned anything else useful from it. For me, it seemed like a bit more of a downplay of the concern and downplay of necessity to test more.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:01 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
That press conference can be viewed here: https://www.wtae.com/article/coronav...cials/31449137

Old 03-12-2020, 04:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The Allegheny County Health Department just held a press conference. Nothing major of note that I could discern from the parts I was able to watch. There were reps from ACHD as well as AHN and UPMC. They commented on number of hospital beds available, testing capacity (we aren't testing nearly to lab capacity right now), and of importance of social distancing, especially for elderly and those with preexisting conditions. I'm not sure if anyone else who caught the presser gleaned anything else useful from it. For me, it seemed like a bit more of a downplay of the concern and downplay of necessity to test more.
Kudos to them. Downplaying isn’t a bad thing as people are already scared to death and making a bad situation way worse.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:05 PM

179 posts, read 106,855 times
Coronavirus fears spark panic-buying in Western Pa

Quote:
As the novel coronavirus shuts down schools, sporting events and concerts, locals were stocking up Thursday on essentials — especially toilet paper.
. . .
Many shoppers came through the aisles and shook their heads at the empty, overturned Charmin boxes.

Judy Parry of Lower Burrell wasn’t buying it, literally or figuratively.

“It’s a bunch of crap,” she said of the covid-19 panic. “I needed toilet paper, so I’m buying some. I wish people would stop hyping (the virus panic). More people get hit by cars.”
Heh

Old 03-12-2020, 05:06 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Kudos to them. Downplaying isn’t a bad thing as people are already scared to death and making a bad situation way worse.
My personal belief is that transparency is the best policy. That said, I can see why they were not transparently answering questions about how many tests have been done and how many can be done - it is because the county and other local healthcare organizations do not have the capacity to adequately test the population relative to the level of testing recommended by many experts. Revealing that information could, indeed, start a panic among the uninformed. Among the informed, the county’s press conference seemingly confirmed fears based on the absence of certain information.

Any one individual, especially a relatively healthy one, is at low risk for death and moderate risk for hospitalization. That said, the risk could greatly be reduced if our local health authorities were quickly pinpointing sources of infection and working to stamp out each chain. Without information, we have the situation that exists today in the Pittsburgh area, which is every individual, business, school, and other institution forced to make its own best guess of how to handle the situation.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
The panic buying is truly as hilarious as it is ridiculous. On the bright side, closing borders has become quite popular.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
My personal belief is that transparency is the best policy. That said, I can see why they were not transparently answering questions about how many tests have been done and how many can be done - it is because the county and other local healthcare organizations do not have the capacity to adequately test the population relative to the level of testing recommended by many experts. Revealing that information could, indeed, start a panic among the uninformed. Among the informed, the county’s press conference seemingly confirmed fears based on the absence of certain information.

Any one individual, especially a relatively healthy one, is at low risk for death and moderate risk for hospitalization. That said, the risk could greatly be reduced if our local health authorities were quickly pinpointing sources of infection and working to stamp out each chain. Without information, we have the situation that exists today in the Pittsburgh area, which is every individual, business, school, and other institution forced to make its own best guess of how to handle the situation.
Downplaying it and being/not being transparent are 2 different things. Most everything is being closed down as precautions. What do you think they’re not telling you?

What are you going to do differently to what you’re doing now if/when the virus is confirmed in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies