Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 11:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Wow, way to move the goalposts there, bud. We’re talking about people who are unemployed NOW, as the result of the virus.

Again, as I’ve repeatedly stated: Admit that this doesn’t aid the majority of unemployed American workers.

You’ll note that nowhere did I state future unemployed American workers.
You are so absorbed in your agenda that you don't even realize that YOU'RE the one moving the goalpost.

You never said future unemployed because you immediately jumped to your agenda rather than actually paying attention to the post I was responding to.

The original post I quoted was speaking about people who will lose their jobs as a result of Coronavirus. That is the calamity being spoken about. If you think that there's been massive layoffs already, you're mistaken. It may come, but not for multiple quarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Payroll tax cuts will do little to nothing to help those who lose their jobs because of disruptions across industries caused by efforts to contain a potential calamity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:13 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Crashing again now. Futures down 500+.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Crashing again now. Futures down 500+.
The market is volatile. It will be like this for some time.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You are so absorbed in your agenda that you don't even realize that YOU'RE the one moving the goalpost.

The original post I quoted was speaking about people who will lose their jobs as a result of Coronavirus. That is the calamity being spoken about. If you think that there's been massive layoffs already, you're mistaken. It may come, but not for multiple quarters.
You really should apply to an iMax theater, as you’re one of the best projectionists that I’ve come across on these forums.

My “agenda” is merely to minimize inflation. Period.

The poster you were quoting when you brought up small businesses was ambiguous; note that he didn’t say “who will lose their jobs”, nor did he specify in the past. He said “who lose their jobs”, which can be interpreted either way. Furthermore, “Disruptions across industries” have already occurred, as have “efforts to contain a potential calamity”.

That being said, you and I have have talking about the currently unemployed for the entire thread, save for your last post where you switched to “future” unemployed.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
You really should apply to an iMax theater, as you’re one of the best projectionists that I’ve come across on these forums.

My “agenda” is merely to minimize inflation. Period.

The poster you were quoting when you brought up small businesses was ambiguous; note that he didn’t say “who will lose their jobs”, nor did he specify in the past. He said “who lose their jobs”, which can be interpreted either way. Furthermore, “Disruptions across industries” have already occurred, as have “efforts to contain a potential calamity”.

That being said, you and I have have talking about the currently unemployed for the entire thread, save for your last post where you switched to “future” unemployed.

Maybe that's what YOU have been talking about to push your agenda. But I was talking about the post that I quoted which specifically states "We haven't yet begun to see what will be the disastrous effects of this virus in the US". You think that's ambiguous? You honestly have no idea what the poster is talking about?

You can frame it however you like, but I quoted a post that was clearly referring to a future state. There haven't been massive layoffs at the industry level as a result of this virus yet.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:29 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
How, prey-do-tell, is this going to be paid for?
Given the bankruptcies Trump's had with his businesses, what's you guess?

IMO, this is his way of buying votes for his re-election. All has shades of the Philippines, where candidates pay their voters to vote for them.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
yes, the federal government is bankrupt and has been for decades now
He knows that Argentina defaulted on their foreign debt 9X over the years, and Trump is thinking: Why not us?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
President Trump is the most generous man since Jesus Christ.
Now this is something you'd expect Bernie Sanders would do if he were President!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Maybe that's what YOU have been talking about to push your agenda. But I was talking about the post that I quoted which specifically states "We haven't yet begun to see what will be the disastrous effects of this virus in the US". You think that's ambiguous? You honestly have no idea what the poster is talking about?

You can frame it however you like, but I quoted a post that was clearly referring to a future state. There haven't been massive layoffs at the industry level as a result of this virus yet.
There’s that lovely projection again!

And Hardly. You and I have clearly been discussing the currently unemployed.

I never said massive layoffs, there’s that goalpost change; I wonder if you could apply for some kind of combined field-worker/projectionist job?

Where in this statement does it say (which is what you directly quoted when bringing startups into the discussion) "We haven't yet begun to see what will be the disastrous effects of this virus in the US"?

Quote:
Payroll tax cuts will do little to nothing to help those who lose their jobs because of disruptions across industries caused by efforts to contain a potential calamity.
Nowhere.

And if you want to say “oh, I was referring to the whole post”, then you’ve clearly left out this statement which is most certainly based in the present and past, but the not future:

Quote:
It is twice as contagious as the flu and 20-30 times as deadly.

Think about it. 20-30 times, requiring extended hospitalizations - three weeks on average - also infecting and sidelining the very health care workers necessary to keep people people alive.
Like I said before, my “agenda” (which is your BS, loaded, term), is nothing more than wanting to minimize inflation.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
From time to time.

Who will pay the retirees? Borrow it from the Chinese? The Russians?
We've got lots of island to sell, the Hawaiian Islands, the Aleutian Islands, The Florida Key's and there's Alcatraz and Angel's Island in the San Francisco Bay. Sell them off one by one! And would we really miss selling Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies