Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 08:23 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Lets not forget folks...Feb 5th chucky shumer called trump a racist when he implemented a travel ban/restriction (I know the left will play word games) And do you honestly think he tried to help anything? Hell even this stimulus is not even good enough for chucky....he says it's not enough...

So, where/when does it stop folks?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A more accurate comparison would be to Obama's response to the H1N1 outbreak. Six months and 4,000 deaths to declare an emergency. I'd say this response has been pretty good in comparison.
Isn’t the motto “MAGA”?

Sounds a lot like “Make America slightly better than the ****tiest job performances in recent history”

Way to reach for the stars mate.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 23,000 deaths from flu, 38 million flu illnesses and 390,000 hospitalizations.

How many dead by the coronavirus so far while we wreck our economy?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Pandemics, eh? You all keep throwing that word around without realizing that we've had pandemics in recent history, yet no one felt the need to lock the citizens inside their homes, nor did the citizens feel the need to hoard everything on the grocery store shelves. And there wasn't all this whining and sniveling about the President.

Let's put some things into perspective, because this non stop bs fear mongering is enough, already!

Are any of you aware of the following:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

In 2009, we had an influenza pandemic - since that seems to be the fear mongering word of the month. It was the H1N1 pandemic. Remember that? Not really? Because....no one trashed the president, no one freaked out and cleaned out the grocery stores, no one holed up in their homes, buying masks and hand sanitizer off of eBay at inflated prices....people were relatively calm and went about their day....maybe that's why.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fo...rus-2020-01-30

Article written on January 30, 2020

https://khn.org/news/flu-far-deadlie...article_inline

I wonder why that is. Hmmm. I wonder. why.

Aah, there it is. And the media is playing that up for all its worth - now we have millions of people who are holed up in their homes with their hoarded groceries, yelling at Trump on their 24/7 cable news channel, and berating anyone who isn't as petrified of the world as they are.

"It's not the flu! OMG!"

But it sure acts the same:

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article...taw078/2712491

Huh. How about that. Just like this corona virus. I'm not saying the corona virus is the flu, I'm saying it acts the same. And yet, we don't have country wide meltdowns every single year for a virus that kills way more than this one has. HUH!

Did we all panic and shut everything down with SARS? MERS? Because, did you know, those were both corona viruses?

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/fu...-020518-115759

Pandemic! Scary word!

Where was the hoarding? Where was the outrage? Where were the calls for martial law? What governors shut their states down?

::: crickets :::

And now, we get news of something that may work that has been used for other ailments.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/20...t-coronavirus/

And what do we get in reply?

"Trump lied!!!!!!!11!!!!" "The FDA is fast tracking malaria drug to possibly treat corona virus..."

"2 grams will kill a person!" "the side affects are known it is safer"

and

"Oh great, now those with arthritis won't be able to get their treatments because of this." Because apparently no more can be made, ever.

You can't win for losing around here. Someone is going to find a way to complain about it no matter what it is - they will spin anything to turn into negative news.

Why is that?

It's like some out there want this to be a bigger crisis than it will be.

I wonder why that is.

A now deleted thread boasted about how great it would be that all of the Trump supporters were going to die - far more than liberals.

Why would someone say that. And if one person has the spine to actually admit their thoughts, it's a good guess that others are thinking it but not saying it. I don't think it's the majority, but it's pretty demented that anyone would think like that.

Corona virus isn't new, it does mutate, (SARS for examples), so does the flu, we don't have a vaccine for either, more people are killed every single year by the flu, more people have caught the flu already this year, (15 million), more people have died from the flu this year, more people died from the flu last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that....

Yet - no panic.

So...why panic now? Yes, I can understand that a strange name may scare people, but that doesn't explain this level of panic. So why now?

And when there is a possibility of something working, why do the very same people who enjoy spreading more "if" statements to stir up more panic, then turn around and act like everyone is going to die if they take said possible drug (already being used on people) or that there won't be enough (despite the fact that most people aren't even going to need it or be prescribed it by their doctor).

Turn it down a notch, fear mongerers. The response to this, but dead silence about the flu, is ridiculous.
GREAT POST!!!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 23,000 deaths from flu, 38 million flu illnesses and 390,000 hospitalizations.

Well this covid-19 may last a year or two so we'll have to wait to get a death count.

You cannot compare numbers yet because we're only 3 months into this.

1918 pandemic lasted 3 years.
Factoid: the pandemic killed more soldiers than the war did

Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
We are right smack dab in the middle of a zoonotic spillover event. Learn from this.

A Global Pandemic.

Be smart, take care of yourselves and the one's you know and love.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 23,000 deaths from flu,.

Off-Topic and repetitive.

Do you have anything which may be actual information?

Why is the "economy" not functioning? I just settled on a RE transaction yesterday, had contractors pouring cement here and I am eating, using utilities and doing 100's of other things in "the economy".

Perhaps you are talking about the "froth" economy where we all run around like chickens with our heads cut off and use vast amounts of fossil fuels to sit in traffic on 12 lane roads?

We hippies (the real ones) have been trying to talk about this stuff for 50+ years but few listen. No, you cannot have it all without consequences. n

You seem to skip over the MILLIONS that "our economy" kills and hospitalizes each year. I'll help you a little.....

Motor Vehicles in the USA - Hospital visits - 2.5 MILLION at least per year. That already puts your big numbers to shame..and that's ONE tiny piece of "the economy".....

Air Pollution = Literally MILLIONS of hospital visits and 100's of thousands of deaths yearly in the USA are due to air pollution - over 200 common illnesses (from heart disease to kidney failure) are directly tied to air pollution:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1127215134.htm

Water, Land Pollution: Suffice it to say we have destroyed vast amounts of natural areas and poisoned water to a degree which most people have no understanding of. These, along with the above, cause vast amounts of cancers and other disease, in addition to Quality of Life Issues......

Disgusting Horrible Food and Diet : Also directly tied to pollution, "our economy" and killing and hurting people by the millions.

Your numbers are a joke.....compared to reality of "our economy". Also, many of the Flu problems are directly related to poor health due to the factors I outlined above.

Please, tell us why we need "our economy" to be unsustainable and killing many millions each decade in the USA alone??

Perhaps one thing that will come out of the pandemic is a bit more thoughtfulness about a sustainable economy. We need to do that because this one is not working.....

Old 03-21-2020, 08:43 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well this covid-19 may last a year or two so we'll have to wait to get a death count.

You cannot compare numbers yet because we're only 3 months into this.

1918 pandemic lasted 3 years.
Factoid: the pandemic killed more soldiers than the war did
Exactly. People keep posting the flu is deadlier. Covid-19 is new. You can or compare numbers of deaths.

People don’t have an immunity to this yet. The hospitals are getting overwhelmed due to too many people being admitted. Already in Texas the ICU’s are to capacity and this had just started.

This is why we are trying to flatten the curve. Not to overwhelm the hospitals with too many sick and not enough equipment.

The US is trending to be worse than Italy right now. It just shows what a selfish population we are. God forbid you’re asked to stay home to help the greater good.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:47 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Off-Topic and repetitive.

Do you have anything which may be actual information?

Why is the "economy" not functioning? I just settled on a RE transaction yesterday, had contractors pouring cement here and I am eating, using utilities and doing 100's of other things in "the economy".

Perhaps you are talking about the "froth" economy where we all run around like chickens with our heads cut off and use vast amounts of fossil fuels to sit in traffic on 12 lane roads?

We hippies (the real ones) have been trying to talk about this stuff for 50+ years but few listen. No, you cannot have it all without consequences. n

You seem to skip over the MILLIONS that "our economy" kills and hospitalizes each year. I'll help you a little.....

Motor Vehicles in the USA - Hospital visits - 2.5 MILLION at least per year. That already puts your big numbers to shame..and that's ONE tiny piece of "the economy".....

Air Pollution = Literally MILLIONS of hospital visits and 100's of thousands of deaths yearly in the USA are due to air pollution - over 200 common illnesses (from heart disease to kidney failure) are directly tied to air pollution:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1127215134.htm

Water, Land Pollution: Suffice it to say we have destroyed vast amounts of natural areas and poisoned water to a degree which most people have no understanding of. These, along with the above, cause vast amounts of cancers and other disease, in addition to Quality of Life Issues......

Disgusting Horrible Food and Diet : Also directly tied to pollution, "our economy" and killing and hurting people by the millions.

Your numbers are a joke.....compared to reality of "our economy". Also, many of the Flu problems are directly related to poor health due to the factors I outlined above.

Please, tell us why we need "our economy" to be unsustainable and killing many millions each decade in the USA alone??

Perhaps one thing that will come out of the pandemic is a bit more thoughtfulness about a sustainable economy. We need to do that because this one is not working.....

Why don't you tell us why we are shutting everything down? Why don't you tell us why, with all those things you listed, are not shutting everything down?

Why are people calling 911, when they run out of Toilet Paper?

Why don't you tell us why we are reacting the way we are when we've never done anything like this before?

Now, I'm going to expect some repetitive answer and not an actual answer.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Exactly. People keep posting the flu is deadlier. Covid-19 is new. You can or compare numbers of deaths.

People don’t have an immunity to this yet. The hospitals are getting overwhelmed due to too many people being admitted. Already in Texas the ICU’s are to capacity and this had just started.

This is why we are trying to flatten the curve. Not to overwhelm the hospitals with too many sick and not enough equipment.

The US is trending to be worse than Italy right now. It just shows what a selfish population we are. God forbid you’re asked to stay home to help the greater good.
I am reminded of many of the same types of people telling me (and us) that in 2006 the rise in Foreclosures didn't point to anything.

Basically they didn't believe it - even when it happened. They see as far as the end of their driveway it seems.

Maybe some finally agreed that it happened LONG AFTER it happened. When they lose their job or saw their own real estate become worthless.....but it did take that long.

I knew some people who owned RE (too much of it) who still didn't understand what happened even in 2009. As long as foreclosures were delayed they thought they just might have an out.

We'll, a decade after that prices have still not rebounded to where they were (Hilton Head, for example).

Greed is Good, I guess....which explains the selfishness that is represented about this pandemic. It's not the creed of a successful nation or people, IMHO. Sacrificing for the whole is what we do to forge on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies