Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't you think he still knows about viruses being icky and all that?

I mean...I have a master's in criminal justice and even that came across my desk many years ago.
I'm just specifying what he is a doctor is. If Ben Carson got it, then the comment of being sick and traveling all over has more weight. In the defense of Sen. Paul, it is mostly the same understanding we do.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't you think he still knows about viruses being icky and all that?

I mean...I have a master's in criminal justice and even that came across my desk many years ago.
Remember, Trump didn't know that the Flu killed people. You give these people too much credit.

Rand thinks a Russian Fiction Writer is the lord. It's hard to be logical when you buy into cults.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm just specifying what he is a doctor is. If Ben Carson got it, then the comment of being sick and traveling all over has more weight. In the defense of Sen. Paul, it is mostly the same understanding we do.
Think about the already sick doctor who paid for the Gold Package at CPAC and came in contact with dozens!

To think like these people do is very difficult. Or, easy...you just tune into Hannity and he tells you it's a hoax. Period. Or, listen to one local Florida Pol and cure the virus using a hairdryer up your nose.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Historically pandemics have always hit larger cities far worse than rural areas, in effect capping maximum city population to about 1 million. Cities had to receive a constant influx of rural migrants to maintain / grow population. Before modern medicine no city had maintained even 1 million for very long before pandemics slashed the population by 1/3 or more.

The reality is that the dense, car less urban environment is a dream world for germs to spread. NYC is currently home to more than half of all COVID-19 cases in the entire USA right now. Dense cities in Europe are also getting mauled. Less dense Seattle was able to make significant progress in limited spread. The car dominated suburb makes social distancing a breeze. You also have more room to grow some of your own food.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Florida catches CA in per-capital positives......and, I promise, it will forge ahead as more testing is available.

It's going to be very sad as the assisted living facilities show up more...

I say this because I have been here watching what people do...and what the Corporations who run the Assisted living facilities do (I volunteer and drive to and fro, etc....or at least did until 2 weeks back).

One multi-million dollar facility I went into told me they were supposed to check for fevers...residents and visitors, but that the corporation hadn't provided them a thermometer!

DeSantis is a deer in the headlights and only doing stuff when the pressure hits hard from all over the state and the country. No thought of getting ahead of it...

Sadly, many cases have already been "shipped out of state"...as no checks (still) are being done at the airports as planes come and go.

I hope, any moment, that DeSantis shuts down the state.....too late for many, but will save some.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:03 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,133 times
Default Task Force Briefing

Late Sunday afternoon and a briefing was scheduled for 4:30 PM. It is now 5:02 PM and no briefing. This administration is out of control. They should look to Cuomo for the right way to do this.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:05 PM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Not sure I trust the severe numbers anymore. 69 is the number that was listed forever on that site and then blam up to 700 on the site. Could be the same for UK, that number seems obscenely low for London ordering a lock down.
The numbers are based on actual people who have had to seek medical intervention, those with less severe symptoms are unknown in most countries.

All deaths in the UK have involved those who are in the catergory related to on going conditions that may prove fatal in conjunction with the virus.

Some lung diseases such as Cystic Firbrosis are hereditary, and are more prevelent in young people in certain societies.

For instance the highest level of Cystic Fibrosis in the world is Ireland followed by the UK, although Western Europe and Anglosphere countries still have high rates.

Incidence of cystic fibrosis in selected European countries - ResearchGate

The incidence of cystic fibrosis on the map according to the World Health Organization

We have the highest rate of cystic fibrosis in the world - Irish Independent (2006)

The combination of CF with this virus may be fatal, and the same applies to asthma, brochitis and other respiratory diseases, which Britain and Ireland have a higher rate of than some other countries

Respiratory disease - Wikipedia

The more elederly in a population, then the higher the possible moratality rate and there are numerous such factors in terms of mortality rates.

Genetics and climate can play some role, just as they do in say skin cancer, however in terms of life expectancy the UK has an overall better life expectancy than the US.

Life Expectancy by Country and in the World (2020)

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-22-2020 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 03:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Why are these manufacturers able to take the highest bid...why is their a bidding war for needed supplies.

This is one messed up country right now.

On the one hand we are looking at giving massive corporations huge handouts and then the other we are allowing others to conduct bidding wars for needed supplies during a crisis.

I don't care if you are red or blue....this is disgusting and none of us should think this is okay.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:08 PM

672 posts, read 256,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I'm a MAGA "cultist," deplorable, ignorant SOB that is a heck of a lot smarter than you! MAGA Trump 2020
I seriously doubt it.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:08 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Maybe the task force is debating on martial law vs martial law "lite" for all of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies