Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Why?
Pretty simple.

The population of Wyoming is about 580,000 over 98,000 square miles. That's a population density of fewer than 6 people per square mile. Even small cities have more population than the entire state. New York City has more people in the southern tip of Manhattan than the entire state of Wyoming. And with the density of Wyoming, only 140 people would live in Manhattan. Plus, Wyoming is essentially a flyover state with very little tourism or visitation, surrounded by rural states. Hard for a disease to come in when no one brings it in.

West Virginia is much the same. Population density of only 74 people per square mile and a state which very few people visit. It is more surrounded by populous states and might have some more pass-through traffic, but it's largely an island in the middle of the east coast.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:35 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,123,288 times
It doesnt happen all at once.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
And the Stock Futures crash on this with the Dems blocking the Stimulas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/w...tml?ref=oembed

Senate Democrats block action on a trillion-dollar stimulus plan.

Quote:
Senate Democrats on Sunday blocked action on an emerging deal to prop up an economy devastated by the coronavirus pandemic, paralyzing the progress of a nearly $2 trillion government rescue package they said failed to adequately protect workers or impose strict enough restrictions on bailed-out businesses.

The party-line vote was a stunning setback after three days of fast-paced negotiations between senators and administration officials to reach a bipartisan compromise on legislation that is expected to be the largest economic stimulus package in American history — now expected to cost $1.8 trillion or more. In a 47-to-47 vote, the Senate fell short of the 60 votes that would have been needed to advance the measure, even as talks continued behind the scenes between Democrats and the White House to salvage a compromise.

2,479 posts, read 2,212,520 times
Default See. This is what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I believe it. We are just incompetent in matters such as this. We need a collective response with everyone on the same page. That is why China could do it. We are a nation of individuals who do what they want without regard for the collective good. Sure, I would prefer our society over theirs, but there are times, like this one, where a collective is better than individualism.

If you had a movable black sticker and you couldn't know whether a comment you read, hear or see is coming from a conservative or leftist, those comments such as the one given above are absolutely chilling.

China is the last of the huge communist dictatorships, and after purging upwards of 20 millions of its own citizens, and persecuting millions more, is on its way to being a superpower.

Why o' why are we in the US saying favorable things about P.R. China when it wants to eat our lunch?

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No I never said or assumed there is one way in and out of states. Here in the southwest from California to Arizona or Arizona to Nevada, Utah or New Mexico there are only a few roads that cross state lines. I believe from Arizona to Utah there is only one up near Page, AZ. I agree some states it might be harder. But we have the manpower to do it.

Trump has the power to halt interstate travel

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...avirus/608083/

The federal government clearly has power to regulate international travel, as well as interstate travel and commerce.
Nope. They don't "clearly" have the power ... it would 100% end up in the courts.

We don't have the manpower to do it. At all. The southwest is NOT the east coast. Or even the border between Chicago & the suburbs and Indiana. How would that work?

I could take my boat from Wisconsin to Indiana. Is the coast guard now involved?

It's impossible.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 PM

18,724 posts, read 7,602,949 times
0 coronavirus deaths in Russia

0 coronavirus deaths reported in Russia....

Fixed it for you.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:38 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What nation do you see where nearly everyone you see are wearing face masks? If everyone is wearing face mask when out in public....they cannot project out droplets of virus from coughs and sneezes that then land on surfaces to be picked up. China shut off traffic in and out of hot spot clusters and shut the cities down. They have been using HIV meds and malaria meds to treat patients for more than a month.

It's hard for people to accept that Asia is surpassing the West. The future is Asia and the west is just trying to hang on....but this clearly shows that they have their act together better than the West.

In Italy, the people coming from there back to the US, a couple of weeks ago, were saying that people were not taking it serious and was out partying like nothing to worry about. China did not leave it up to the people to decide when to take it serious. That is why China has the issue under control and the West does not. I am not generally advocating their system......but it clearly has advantages in situations like this.

You or I would not know what's going on. Their people are not permitted to talk honestly about this. The coronavirus is a heavily censored topic in China. Say something critical of the Chicom's handling of it, or suggest it's not under control... You might find police at your door. You might later find yourself in a cold concrete room strapped to an even colder metal chair. An interrogator will then get in your face and ask you if you have anything to say about what the police and the government has been doing. From there, any number of outcomes may be the result, with a stiff warning being the best outcome, and years in prison or being "disappeared" being the worst.

It's cute that you think they are surpassing us. They are only surpassing us in the level of control and oppression they have succeeded in subjecting their people to. It is not a way of life that is compatible in the west. We would never submit to our government in such a way. Even lefties who demand big, oppressive government and an end of freedom of speech would wither and melt in such an oppressive environment. Do you happen to see what they are doing to the Muslim population in China?

Old 03-22-2020, 08:39 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't know, but I don't think many people would want to visit or live in those places, so maybe lack of international and domestic travel.
About 96% of Yellowstone National Park is in Wyoming. Yellowstone on average gets about 4 million visitors per year. About 20% of those coming from Asian countries. With a pop of around 600k in the 10 largest state in the country the pop is spread out which I believe contributes to its lack of cases.

Most of the facilities at the park are closed right now due to the virus.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
0 coronavirus deaths in Russia

0 coronavirus deaths reported in Russia....

Fixed it for you.
Yeah I have to go along with you on that one. The Russians did their best to deny Chernobyl was happening. The radiation that spread all over Europe kind ruined their BS story. Russia isn't exactly known for airing their laundry to the world. They would rather lie about it than admit it.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:41 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
I no more trust Putin with the truth as I do Mr. BankTrumptcy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies