Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 PM

12,407 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
How can this be? There are posters on this site saying that only the elderly or the immunodeficient are at risk.
And many of the Republicans here are saying essentially "So what? So what if a bunch of old people die? They're gonna die anyway, get over it!"

Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks!

While these countries were disgracefully being politically correct, President Trump ordered a travel ban on China on 31 January.

We can talk about how President Trump's language was not as serious (he didn't see this thing as something that would inherently balloon out of control), but he STILL took steps to close us off from what was THE global hot spot at the time. And as the old saying goes: actions speak way louder than words. And President Trump's actions came through big time.
Airlines had already started cancelling flights to and from CHina. Trump was late to act and even if you give him credit, he blew any time he might have gained by trying to cover up the severity of the situation to protect corporate shareholders. Then he lied over and over to the American people, lies repeated by the fake news outlets that peddle propaganda to the right. To this day, he understates the threat and daily exhibits a lack of understanding of the science and societal impacts of the contagion. It is hard to imagine how he could have done any worse.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Florida is a national disgrace. Their idiot governor, DeSantis, refuses to close the beaches crowded with spring break kids. Gee, thousands of college students all crammed together on the beach, surrounded by senior communities. What could go wrong?

Trump should call DeSantis and say, "If you don't close those beaches in the next 24 hours, I'll do it for you."
He wont though. Trump will only make it about those stupid youngsters just like everyone else. At least Biden is trying to finally court them by saying "we all know the goal here." I don't trust Biden but I trust Trump far less.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:34 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's like none of them knew what they had because China was covering up. I remember my spouse and I looking at each other and saying uh oh. And, my daughter calling from Washington state worried about all the Chinese folks coming back from break.
When I saw those numbers blow up in China I knew this was no SARS incident.
I slowly started prepping myself with a little extra stuff each week.

No new cases from China means nothing. It's not over. They contained it. Now what ? They cannot allow travel because someone will bring it in.

And I saw "first wave" mentioned in some article. That is true. China is over the first wave.
But they have to stay that way now in lockdown in order to get no new infections. It's not going to be BAU, not by a long shot.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Im wondering- **if one person in community ends up at hospital, testing positive, how many others are walking around with it**
Exactly. I'm sure plenty of people walking around with it and feeling just fine, but they have no idea they are carrying Covid-19. Normally, as of a couple of months ago...or maybe just a few weeks ago, they would never think twice about a serious virus unless they were reminded non stop all day long about it.

People used to go to work sick, bragging about how they never call in sick. I mean, now all of a sudden it's serious but last year it wasn't. All of a sudden washing our hands for 20 + seconds and sanitize everything is a number one priority..lol. It should have always been a priority. Imagine how many people who died from the flu could have survived if we were even remotely as careful as we are now with Covid 19.

If I have learned one thing from this is, If I feel the slightest under the weather, I will call out from work. No need to spread my germs around for people with less effective immune system.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ive seen some price imcreases for certain, and thats hardly the tip of it.
Yep. Wait until jobs are impacted and companies show quarterly earnings. Disney is gonna be slaughtered. WWE who was already hurting will be slaughtered due to having to refund tickets. Comcast will be hurting due to Universal loses including putting Trolls on VOD due to theater closings.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
First Belgium noticed patients were getting younger. Then Italy.

Now the CDC is saying the same thing...20% of the younger folks getting this virus end up in the hospital in ICU.
As new data gets produced we get new info on this virus.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...younger-people
Early data analyzed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that younger Americans are at substantial risk of experiencing serious medical problems from the coronavirus sweeping the globe.

That data runs counter to some of the early messaging from public health officials in other parts of the world.

A new CDC analysis of more than 2,400 cases of COVID-19 that have occurred in the United States in the last month shows that at least 1 in 7 and perhaps as many as 1 in 5 people between the ages of 20 and 44 who contract the virus require hospitalization, a level exponentially higher than the hospitalization rates for influenza
Bogus numbers being used to scare young people into compliance. The US is not testing anyone but sick people, very sick people who end up in hospitals for respiratory problems. For every one of those there could very well be thousands of positives walking around with mild to no symptoms. The conclusion that younger people are suddenly getting more serious disease can not be inferred from the sparse data in the US. Not much of anything can.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Exactly. I'm sure plenty of people walking around with it and feeling just fine, but they have no idea they are carrying Covid-19. Normally, as of a couple of months ago...or maybe just a few weeks ago, they would never think twice about a serious virus unless they were reminded non stop all day long about it.

People used to go to work sick, bragging about how they never call in sick. I mean, now all of a sudden it's serious but last year it wasn't. All of a sudden washing our hands for 20 + seconds and sanitize everything is a number one priority..lol. It should have always been a priority. Imagine how many people who died from the flu could have survived if we were even remotely as careful as we are now with Covid 19.

If I have learned one thing from this is, If I feel the slightest under the weather, I will call out from work. No need to spread my germs around for people with less effective immune system.
There's a research report floating around...read too many and didn't bookmark it.

They tallied up the testing in the US for all states.
8k tested positive and something like 170K tested negative

I'll have to hunt that down and post. Way too many people are assuming most people have it.

*found it..the spreadsheet at least:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...UeOj5/pubhtml#

Here's the project page:
https://covidtracking.com

So it's not that everyone is walking around with a mild case. They don't have it YET

Old 03-18-2020, 09:46 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Airlines had already started cancelling flights to and from CHina. Trump was late to act and even if you give him credit, he blew any time he might have gained by trying to cover up the severity of the situation to protect corporate shareholders. Then he lied over and over to the American people, lies repeated by the fake news outlets that peddle propaganda to the right. To this day, he understates the threat and daily exhibits a lack of understanding of the science and societal impacts of the contagion. It is hard to imagine how he could have done any worse.
Ah, so President Trump can do no right in your view?

And regardless of whether airlines were starting to cancel flights to China, there were still PLENTY of flights planned when President Trump issued his order. If other countries (namely countries within the EU) had the same fortitude, we wouldn't be dealing with what we are dealing with today.

President Trump didn't lie about anything He gave his personal opinion that he didn't think that the scare was going to inherently become a massive problem (I argue he was wrong). But that didn't stop our preparedness, and your revisionist history doesn't change this point In case you didn't realize, most of any response actions will come from the states. And President Trump cannot coerce the states to act on anything. But the CDC and the official federal government health institutes have all been quite clear about the seriously of this thing for months. But, again, you want to blame President Trump for everything.

I'm not shocked I have to write this as there are some who will continue to attack our president for anything and everything he does or says.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-18-2020 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-18-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Bogus numbers being used to scare young people into compliance. The US is not testing anyone but sick people, very sick people who end up in hospitals for respiratory problems. For every one of those there could very well be thousands of positives walking around with mild to no symptoms. The conclusion that younger people are suddenly getting more serious disease can not be inferred from the sparse data in the US. Not much of anything can.
Here ya go..daily tally of how many get tested each day with a separate page for state breakdowns.
FWIW the CDC has the data on who is sick.
Belgium, Africa and Italy all say the same thing..younger folks are falling seriously ill now but they don't know why

https://covidtracking.com

Oh and who put this together:
This project combines two initial independent efforts. Jeff Hammerbacher, Founder and General Partner at Related Sciences, built a tracking spreadsheet. Separately, two journalists, Robinson Meyer and Alexis Madrigal, built a tracker for a story in The Atlantic. The two efforts came together March 7, and made a call for volunteers to help keep the data updated, tune processes, work on scrapers, and make a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies