Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 07:06 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
when Trump's numbers approach the death totals of the swine flu disaster brought to you by Obama/Biden which killed 13,000, we'll talk.
Um.

Quote:
But, contrary to Trump’s claims, the death rate for COVID-19 has far outpaced H1N1 over the same span.

The CDC had confirmed 75 COVID-19 deaths through Monday. By contrast, 16 days after the first swine flu death, there were only three H1N1 deaths reported to the CDC.

The CDC estimates about 12,000 Americans ended up dying from swine flu between April 2009 and April 2010.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/h...f-ad1c8bfb2739

COVID-19 was 75 times as lethal as swine flu through the first 16 days.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
When I last refreshed the page on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries about a day and a half ago, there were 198,422 confirmed cases and 7,987 deaths worldwide. That was right before bed Tuesday night.

Refresh screen and we have: 226,521 confirmed cases and 9,285 deaths.

So yes, this thing is speeding up.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
This seems to spread so easily and lasts on some surfaces for days, never saw anything like what's happening in Italy for other pandemics. They have around 10% of their health care workers becoming infected even with safeguards. We will be where they are in 2 weeks.

One congressman that still doesn't understand.

Quote:
Washington (CNN)Republican Rep. Devin Nunes of California on Sunday contradicted health experts' recommendation that Americans practice "social distancing" to curb the spread of coronavirus, instead urging "healthy" Americans to continue patronizing businesses during the pandemic.

"If you're healthy, you and your family, it's a great time to go out and go to a local restaurant, likely you can get in easily," Nunes said during an interview on Fox News as many cities announced new restrictions on bars and restaurants to limit gatherings.
"Let's not hurt the working people in this country ... go to your local pub," he added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/polit...ars/index.html

Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Almost everybody will be adversely impacted by this economic downturn.
Of course they will. It's one of the main reasons I'm sick of people freaking out over this, and some people inducing panic.

The first case in the U.S. was reported on January 21.

Here we are, 2 months later, has the world ended?

NO!

Stop the GD panic - but it seems some are hell bent on making sure that people are locked inside their homes, quivering in fear.

I said there will be repercussions - and there will be - for all of this panic nonsense. THAT is what most people should be worried about now.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
In Italy, where deaths from the coronavirus have surged lately, it appears that 99%+ of all people who died had complicating factors in the form of other illnesses.

Italy Coronavirus Deaths - by other illnesses

48.5% - 3 or more other illnesses
25.6% - 2 other illnesses
25.1% - 1 other illness
00.8% - No other illnesses
100%

Also, while the median age of death in Italy from the coronavirus is 63, the average age is 79.5 (80 years old).

This is still scary and all, but the level of panic by most of the population who does not have these complicating factors and who are younger may have been unneccesarily overblown.
True most people don't die from the virus but anybody can spread it. And if you are dismissing the deaths of anybody -- what kind of human being are you.

AND -- many -- especially the young -- don't know that they have some underlying medical health issue tht would mean they would have a hard time fighting this virus.

You know the whole vaping issue and it randomly target young people -- many of those kids probably had/have some kind of issue already with their respiratory system -- not enough to hinder day to day living but enough that when they take the risk of vaping - -they end up in the hospital iwth lung issues.

Lungs are sensitive -- once you have a serious respiratory illness they are 'scarred' and it could lead to a lifetime of issues.

So stop dismissing the types of death, who dies, number of deaths. Just social distance and be clean.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
No need to rename what already has been named. It's the Covid-19 virus.

Now, on to things that really matter...
That's pretty rich coming from someone who post after post calls it the "Trump virus".

You have no problem at all blaming all of this on Trump, but put the blame where it lies? Suddenly, you're back to the correct name for it.

Just spare us the hypocrisy.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Of course they will. It's one of the main reasons I'm sick of people freaking out over this, and some people inducing panic.

The first case in the U.S. was reported on January 21.

Here we are, 2 months later, has the world ended?

NO!

Stop the GD panic - but it seems some are hell bent on making sure that people are locked inside their homes, quivering in fear.

I said there will be repercussions - and there will be - for all of this panic nonsense. THAT is what most people should be worried about now.
Okay -- thinking you are overly dramatic.

I did not panic...I simply, clearly, calmly stated we will al be adversely impacted.
That's not freaking out or panicked. It's merely a statement.

Deep breath -- I think you're hyped state is dramatizing what folks are saying......it's okay -- we will be fine. You failed to read or cite or quote my posts saying we will come back.......I'm not the one freaking out here....lol.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 AM

1,086 posts, read 442,269 times
Default coronavirus death rate continues to fall in the U. S.

Very encouraging numbers.

https://twitter.com/YossiGestetner/s...33793028612096

Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 AM

It is clear, in the effort to defend everything Trump, folks are over reacting to concern, observations, comments.

Realizing that we need to hunker down and social distance and keep clean and that we have tough economic times ahead is not freaking out.

Freaking out is ranting that folks are discussing about the conditions today..which are unusual for all of us.

It will be okay -- don't get freaked out with the facts

Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
When I last refreshed the page on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries about a day and a half ago, there were 198,422 confirmed cases and 7,987 deaths worldwide. That was right before bed Tuesday night.

Refresh screen and we have: 226,521 confirmed cases and 9,285 deaths.

So yes, this thing is speeding up.
Italy had around 150 cases on Feb 21 when they started shutting down everything, now they have 35,000 a month later, amazing how rapidly this spreads. This is what worries me about the US, some states still haven't taken action and its business as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies