Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 08:41 AM

26,361 posts, read 13,248,948 times

Advertisements

I wonder if using the blood of those people who have survived the virus, fully recovered, and are no longer a carrier of it, could become blood donors to those who have it, and need help beating it?

The recovered people's blood has naturally developed anti-bodies that could be shared...no?

I saw this in a 1971 sci-fi movie called "The Omega Man" (Omega means 1, or only) staring Charleton Heston as Dr. Neville.

The infected people were cured by getting transfusion's from the only known survivor (the omega man...Dr. Neville) who never contracted the disease because he developed the anti-body serum just after most everyone else died. He was too late...or so it seemed....

As infected people cured by Neville's blood got well, and their blood starting producing the anti-bodies, so they too became blood donors. This is how the infected human's in the moovie survived, and Earth avoided human extinction.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:42 AM

30,530 posts, read 23,956,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I wonder if using the blood of those people who have survived the virus, fully recovered, and are no longer a carrier of it, could become blood donors to those who have it, and need help beating it?

The recovered people's blood has naturally developed anti-bodies that could be shared...no?

I saw this in a 1971 sci-fi movie called "The Omega Man" (Omega means 1, or only) staring Charleton Heston as Dr. Neville.

The infected people were cured by getting transfusion's from the only known survivor (the omega man...Dr. Neville) who never contracted the disease because he developed the anti-body serum just after most everyone else died. He was too late...or so it seemed....

As infected people cured by Neville's blood got well, and their blood starting producing the anti-bodies, so they too became blood donors. This is how the infected human's in the moovie survived, and Earth avoided human extinction.
Apparently the rumor that "you can't get it again once you've had it" is false.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:44 AM

38,931 posts, read 24,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
And his cable news echoes have been repeating those talking points until the switch flipped late last week/early this week. Here's a pretty jarring look at how quickly the Fox News hot takes switched their stories. That's the information millions of Americans were being given up until last week and it's a direct echo of the President. It's grossly irresponsible.

I'm honestly furious about this administration's handling of it all. I won't call it the "Trump Virus." China's attempted cover up launched it into the world. But that was over 1/4 of a year ago. We've literally had months to watch the "do's" and "do nots" of how to handle it and all during that time the President and his administration continued to downplay it and contradict experts who predicted this repeatedly. There's no excuse for that, it's a complete failure as a leader. Period.

My father, a Vietnam Vet (and Trump supporter) with symptoms and recent international travel history, was tested at a local VA on Tuesday after calling his PCP and area hospitals requesting a test over the weekend. He won't get results for at least 7 days and was My mother, myself, and my two siblings cannot get tests (even though we've been in contact with him) because we're not showing symptoms and there simply aren't enough. Trump may not have been able to stop the spread from reaching the U.S. I also believe the travel ban was a good move, but not nearly enough. The fact that we are now in late March and we don't have nearly enough testing for the people who need to be tested is a total failure on the part of this administration and Trump deserves every bit of the blame for that.
Up until a week, week and a half ago, I and others thought that it was overblown (I not as much as others, but I am realistic.) Many others continued to joke well into the weekend (some still are.) I took it serious, but I was pragmatic. I realized it was dangerous but to that point, it was fairly isolated (which is due to the testing) and I knew unlike other pandemics in the media that came from China, it was effecting US citizens. That said, I didn't know how bad it would get to those that were not traveled internationally or had contact with those. Many however slept through the alarms (except panic buying attempts.)

I work at a school, this time a week ago, there wasn't a plan for classified staff like myself to get paid at all (at least to our knowledge.) But, I expected the schools to close faster (my district ended up closed on Friday (and then re-opened for camp on Tuesday) and the rest of the schools in the state closed Saturday.) Last Monday, the district had us sitdown for a plan meeting to set up the plan for a plan to enact. Thing got way exponentially worse in that few day period. The plan for classified staff is still muddy as we are set to get paid, but we might be needed to go into work (I guess barring shelter in place.)

15,047 posts, read 8,910,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Trump's attempt to blame China is causing China to further distance itself from the USA. Since lots of supplies for fighting this pandemic originate in China, the USA is less likely to get these supplies due to Trump antagonizing China. China is helping other countries right now with test kits and masks.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dipl...ries-worst-hit

China steps up support for European countries hardest hit by coronavirus
  • President Xi Jinping has spoken to the leaders of the two most affected European countries, Italy and Spain, and promised medical supplies
In contrast to the offer to help Europe, Beijing’s relationship with the US is deteriorating further during the pandemic

On Wednesday, China agreed to help the EU with “immediate shipments” of 2 million surgical masks, 200,000 N95 masks and 500,000 testing kits – but the amount stopped short of the 5 million surgical masks it gave Italy, which has seen the world's worst outbreak after China.
Trump has put his fragile ego above American interests from the moment he took office. Why should we be surprised he's doing it again? He needs to rebrand this pandemic as the Chinese flu in an attempt to shake off any blame he has for our soon to be skyrocketing spread and deaths due in part to his refusal to take this seriously. We lost two months of preparation because of his ego, and he needs to find someone else to blame for it, because it is never, ever, ever the fat orange man's fault for anything. He will bear zero responsibility. He has told us as much.

Meanwhile, he is putting a target on the backs of ever Asian-American with his hateful rhetoric. And that's fine with him, as long as the blame is being diverted away from him.

He is a despicable waste of skin.

53,471 posts, read 35,161,014 times
this is just swell...

NY-Based Muslim Brotherhood Activist Bahgat Saber Urges Egyptians to Deliberately Infect Government Officials and Employees at Egypt's Consulates and Embassies with Coronavirus
Quote:
Bahgat Saber: "Whoever has flu-like symptoms – cold, fever, sneezing – should pay a visit to his 'friends' who work for Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi's government. The moment you get flu-like symptoms like a cold or a fever, go to the public prosecution office that is closest to your house. Go to any building where they might illegally incarcerate people. If you can, go to a building of the Security Investigations Service, and if you can't, just wait for them and sneeze on their cars when they pass by."

Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM

13,872 posts, read 5,073,340 times
Quote:

This approach is being considered. It's called passive immunity.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 AM

38,931 posts, read 24,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Cuomo Hour is now on. The best info and perspective on the virus on TV.
Yep. I agree unlike other executives... Arizona is a time bomb considering the elderly population. The active adult fitness center closed my parents live in closed before my own school district did. Think of that.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 AM

39,179 posts, read 51,518,640 times
Quote:

China was doing trials of this (using plasma not whole blood products). We could learn a lot from China, but of course, Trump is making an enemy of them for the purposes of deflecting from his own failures. Hopefully the scientific community is ignoring the antics of the buffoon in the White House.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,654,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Cuomo Hour is now on. The best info and perspective on the virus on TV.
Cuomo needs to listen to Diblasio. I don’t like diblasio but he is right on this one. The only way to stop this thing is a strict lockdown.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 AM

21,973 posts, read 28,425,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Apparently the rumor that "you can't get it again once you've had it" is false.
That’s still unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies