Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 03:51 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
why are you focusing on "racial bloc voting" of "the south"? why do you single out one group and not other groups for racial bloc voting? whites vote less as a group than any other "tribe".
Because it’s related to the topic. Not all young white people love Trump. From what I have observed from my own kids and their friends and from what I have read, there remains large differences in how young people vote, depending on the regional and educational attainment factors that I mentioned. Exit polls have shown more racial solidarity among white Southerners across the urban/Rural and educational divides that you see in other areas. That’s not necessarily a positive or a negative; just a statement of fact. What I was specifically talking about is that if you look at state and national exit polls, you find that while Southern college grads usually vote less Republican than non-college whites within their state, but you’re less likely to see the huge differences that you find nationally or in other regions.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-14-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 03:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Exit polls have shown more racial solidarity among white Southerners across the urban/Rural and educational divides that you see in other areas. That’s not necessarily a positive or a negative; just a statement of fact.
a statement of fact would be Hispanic, Asian, jewish, black, and other tribal groups overwhelmingly vote democrat. they are the nation's racial bloc voters. white voters are not a monolithic tribe, yet they are the ones accused of racism, when half vote republican and half vote democrat, as are the voters from other racial groups who don't vote democrat.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-14-2020 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 04:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats hate White males and the United States.
Um, nope. I've carried, given birth to, and raised two white males, both of whom will be productive, law abiding US citizens.

How many white males have you raised?

Old 03-14-2020, 04:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol...and all Republicans are racists.

God I hate identity politics, you probably don't even realize they've got you doing it too now.
Republicans have always been into identity politics. That's nothing new.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not in the South.
That's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The narrative for Cubans and Jews, as tragic as it is, is different from what Black Americans have dealt with. Jews and Cubans were able to succeed because of what they came with to this country. They came here under some horrible events. But even with the problems they encountered here, they were able to find a place for themselves in America. They came because they wanted to come, because they saw it necessary to come. When you come under those circumstances, under free will or under necessity, it's a far different reference point than come here under dursss.

Black Americans didn't come here as refugees seeking safety. They didn't come as immigrants seeking a better life. Black Americans came here BECAUSE they had no say so in the matter. They came as slaves, kidnapped from their own land, taken to another land and literally forced to do the work to build wealth that they themselves would not benefit from. A refugee goes to another country seeking safety. An immigrant goes to another country seeking opportunities he/she wouldn't have back home. Blacks were brought here as prisoners of America. It took a war for Black Americans to be freed from slavery. After that, Black Americans endured Jim Crow segregation, and racial tensions with other groups in America.

Other groups went through hardships. With Black Americans, it was over 250 years of hardships, over 2 centuries of Blacks being shown the very worst America could be. Black Americans being treated as 2nd class citizens. Someone tells me "get over slavery" or "get over Jim Crow", I would love to tell that person to shut up. At least other groups had a say in coming to America and eventually made better lives for themselves in America. As you have mentioned, Black Americans were stripped of everything, to where most of us don't even know what parts of Africa we came from. We came stripped of everything and made slaves in America. No one is under any condition to tell me "get over it" because it's a big part of why Black Americans are here.
Oh lord, here we go.

I know plenty of people, asians, hispanics etc. who were born here and would love to go back to country that their parents are from. African Americans have had years to get their act together. They act like they are the only ones that get discriminated against and thats not true. There are plenty of hispanics, asians, and middle eastern people that have made it to the top and it had nothing to do with their skin color.

Also, those countries that they come from, some are dictatorships and have had to endured hardships for hundreds of years. Its not just African Americans that have had it hard. Everyone at one point or another has.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:33 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
That's not true.

Oh lord, here we go.

I know plenty of people, asians, hispanics etc. who were born here and would love to go back to country that their parents are from. African Americans have had years to get their act together. They act like they are the only ones that get discriminated against and thats not true. There are plenty of hispanics, asians, and middle eastern people that have made it to the top and it had nothing to do with their skin color.

Also, those countries that they come from, some are dictatorships and have had to endured hardships for hundreds of years. Its not just African Americans that have had it hard. Everyone at one point or another has.
At least immigrants came here on their own volition. Whether it was as refugees or economic immigrants, it beats coming here in chains. Dont like what I have to say? That's just too freaking bad. It's the truth. Black people were brought here by force, no choice involved,brought here as slaves, once slavery ended, another century of human rights abuses in the form of Jim Crow. Black people have had it worse than anyone else, besides Native Americans. Black Americans dealt with a dictatorship RIGHT HERE ON US SOIL. That is the difference. Immigrants dealt with it over I. their countries and came here to do better. Black people were brought here by force and subject to a racially targeted dictatorship.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:07 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
That's not true.

Oh lord, here we go.

I don't think that is an apples to apples comparison. These other groups of people don't have a historical tie to this country, which did everything in it's right to keep black people from building wealth. There are a lot of black people who are where they are due to poor decisions, but a lot of their environment where these decisions are made in is due to the oppression they faced in this country.

Also you do know a lot of the immigrants who come to this country are pretty wealthy, especially for their home country's standards. It is rare that we get immigrants coming from across the world who were poor in their country, it is pretty cost prohibitive to take an international flight and move across the world if you are not fairly wealthy in developing nations.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:35 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At least immigrants came here on their own volition. Whether it was as refugees or economic immigrants, it beats coming here in chains. Dont like what I have to say? That's just too freaking bad. It's the truth. Black people were brought here by force, no choice involved,brought here as slaves, once slavery ended, another century of human rights abuses in the form of Jim Crow. Black people have had it worse than anyone else, besides Native Americans. Black Americans dealt with a dictatorship RIGHT HERE ON US SOIL. That is the difference. Immigrants dealt with it over I. their countries and came here to do better. Black people were brought here by force and subject to a racially targeted dictatorship.
Well then you should get over it and quit carrying around this chip on your shoulder. It must be exhausting to have to do that all the time.

i'm not saying that black people didn't have the opportunity to gain wealth, but don't you think the same applies to other races/minorities who also had the same experience? And yeah those immigrants came over here to do better, but did they really? Yes they got paid more than in their country, but do you think working 12-16 hrs in a field is better? And African Americans could have done the same job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I don't think that is an apples to apples comparison. These other groups of people don't have a historical tie to this country, which did everything in it's right to keep black people from building wealth. There are a lot of black people who are where they are due to poor decisions, but a lot of their environment where these decisions are made in is due to the oppression they faced in this country.

Also you do know a lot of the immigrants who come to this country are pretty wealthy, especially for their home country's standards. It is rare that we get immigrants coming from across the world who were poor in their country, it is pretty cost prohibitive to take an international flight and move across the world if you are not fairly wealthy in developing nations.
Don't have a historical tie to this country? lol..ok. The chinese helped build railroads in the US, once the US used them for that, they booted them out of the country and wouldn't even let them come back. Hispanics have also been in the US before it was even in the US like Native Americans so nope they had ties as well. Hispanics and Asians were also a target for discrimination and were not allowed to get promotions and had to work in factories doing the worse jobs there while the better jobs went to Caucasians.

And there are a lot of immigrants that are not wealthy. Have you seen the caravans? Do those look like wealthy people to you? Because I promise you they are not.

Also, let's ask the taino indians what they think? Oh wait..that's right. They are dead. They were massacred. Same with the Aztecs, the Mayans and the Incans. While Slavery is no fun, im sure some of those people would have preferred to stay alive than to be gutted like a fish with a sword. Oh and that's not just men, but women and children as well. So no, its not just African Americans that have had it bad. At least your family line wasn't wiped out like theirs was. But hey, if all you want to do is act like a victim and play the race card, then have at I guess. Just don't get mad when people tell you to get over it because they are tired of hearing it.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post

Alot of people don't want to hear this. But then, it's par for the course. Black people in America have been looked down on and treated like garbage from the very moment they were brought here.

If anything, that Blacks have gotten this far is amazing. Once Black people were freed, they went from being viewed as property to being viewed as a pest, a competitor population, an unwanted people. Since Black people couldn't be deported, they were subjected to Jim Crow laws and so many forms of discrimination it was crazy. Black people were subjected to a dictatorship aimed only at them. The majority of laws against interracial marriage were aimed against Blacks. Alot of sundown towns had laws prohibiting mainly Blacks from living there, or even being there after dark. There were places immigrants could go that Black people could not go to.

Example, Dearborn, MI. Up to the 1970s, Black people were basically not allowed to live there. Arab immigrants,however, could.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Well then you should get over it and quit carrying around this chip on your shoulder. It must be exhausting to have to do that all the time.

i'm not saying that black people didn't have the opportunity to gain wealth, but don't you think the same applies to other races/minorities who also had the same experience? And yeah those immigrants came over here to do better, but did they really? Yes they got paid more than in their country, but do you think working 12-16 hrs in a field is better? And African Americans could have done the same job.

Don't have a historical tie to this country? lol..ok. The chinese helped build railroads in the US, once the US used them for that, they booted them out of the country and wouldn't even let them come back. Hispanics have also been in the US before it was even in the US like Native Americans so nope they had ties as well. Hispanics and Asians were also a target for discrimination and were not allowed to get promotions and had to work in factories doing the worse jobs there while the better jobs went to Caucasians.

And there are a lot of immigrants that are not wealthy. Have you seen the caravans? Do those look like wealthy people to you? Because I promise you they are not.

Also, let's ask the taino indians what they think? Oh wait..that's right. They are dead. They were massacred. Same with the Aztecs, the Mayans and the Incans. While Slavery is no fun, im sure some of those people would have preferred to stay alive than to be gutted like a fish with a sword. Oh and that's not just men, but women and children as well. So no, its not just African Americans that have had it bad. At least your family line wasn't wiped out like theirs was. But hey, if all you want to do is act like a victim and play the race card, then have at I guess. Just don't get mad when people tell you to get over it because they are tired of hearing it.
I meant that other groups don't have a comparable historical tie to this country. When I talk about wealthy immigrants, I'm typically talking about immigrant groups that come from overseas, hence why I brought up the international flights. I have heard of the Chinese exclusion act, but I haven't heard that they were booted out of this country, care to provide a source. If you really think what Hispanic and Asian people went through in this country is comparable to what black people went through in this country, then I don't know what to tell you. You clearly ignore facts to fit with your bias.

I never said the Native Americans didn't go through some terrible ****, they did. However, does this discount the experiences that black people have faced in this country? I'm trying to keep this discussion more specific to the mainland U.S., I don't know what challenges the descendants of the Tainos face today, although it is probably pretty ****ty. BTW, I know other groups have had to deal with oppression, I would never make that argument. What is this "at least your family wasn't wiped out like theirs was"? This is a terrible argument to make, we are talking about current times and how past events has impacted the development of current population groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies