Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 08:26 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Over time things even out, but that doesn't mean POTUS don't have an effect on the market. President's make decisions all the time that instill confidence or erode it, and the markets react accordingly.
Like I said, minimal long term. The market isnt for money that is needed short term, yet people panic and act that way. If you want money to be safe and sound and not see big swings, thats what savings accounts are for.

The vast majority of what happens to the markets and equities is driven by stuff other than POTUS. Things like the actual management of companies, what the employees and leadership do, how they innovate, the companies ROI, how they treat employees and customers, how they compete in their market space, then outside of that you have consumer psychology plus world (ie. non-US) events. All of these things have WAY more long term impact on equities.

Then when you look at what POTUS may or may not impact, its nearly impossible to measure since decisions made by one administration may have impact that stretches well beyond their own administration and well into the next administrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
401k down 13.4% YTD. Only thing that's up is my investment in Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund. Gold and real estate funds are just at single digit losses. Everything else is double digit.
Mine down even more, I knew I should have cashed out, too late now. Not an issue as I can’t touch it for years to come but missed a great buying opportunity

Old 03-12-2020, 08:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Staying rangebound, indicating that someone or something is trying to push it back up. Can't seem to get above -1500 but also not going lower than -1900. Grim, sure, but still bouncing along within that range.

Yes, the immediate trend is down. But that it's not in full blown, straight down freefall is, in a way, a sign of hope.

And I think the circuit breakers are the very definition of artificial restrictions and manipulation, and therefore, at odds with the free market is supposed to be about. I wish they'd just yank them, rip the Band Aid, and be done with it. This slow motion nightmare of death by a thousand cuts is arguably much worse than just 'getting it overwith'.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:48 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Could be worse. I could've trusted Trump's response to this pandemic. Glad I didn't.
Congratulations! Many have pension plans and 401K’s who are nearing retirement. They will be hurt the most.
Lucky for you not to have any friends and family in that position. Others had managed to save a little and invest in hopes of some gains we can no longer get from the old fashioned savings accounts. Save for college, save for a home, save for retirement.

And then there or the many thousands who will lose jobs as FEAR Propaganda closes events and businesses.

It’s a real eye opener to see those who don’t care about the extreme damage the Leftist Media are eager to do in their Hysterical Meltdown in hopes of the destruction of our Economy to feed their hatred of President Trump and the Irredeemable Deplorables. Even worse to see the Celebration of that destruction by the Leftist Losers.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:50 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Congratulations! Many have pension plans and 401K’s who are nearing retirement. They will be hurt the most.
Lucky for you not to have any friends and family in that position. Others had managed to save a little and invest in hopes of some gains we can no longer get from the old fashioned savings accounts. Save for college, save for a home, save for retirement.

It’s a real eye opener to see those who don’t care about the extreme damage the Leftist Media are eager to do in their Hysterical Meltdown in hopes of the destruction of our Economy to feed their hatred of President Trump and the Irredeemable Deplorables. Even worse to see the Celebration of that destruction by the Leftist Losers.
Yes, its the media's fault that the Trump administration failed to grasp the urgency of the situation months ago.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:

That would be me - a 'leftist loser' as you so graciously put it.

You can rest assured I am not celebrating the downfall of this stockmarket and our economy. I may not have time to make this up prior to retirement.

When Italy shuts down their entire damn country and their hospitals are overrun and they are basically letting old people die because they don't have enough ventilators to go around - then it's not a
"Hysterical Meltdown".

Sweet Jesus.

So sick of blaming everyone but the person at the top. NO, he didn't cause the virus but YES - he failed to act quickly enough to start testing people .

Old 03-12-2020, 09:06 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
You think I'm happy my portfolio is down 22%

What is wrong with you?

Old 03-12-2020, 09:08 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
People laughed at me when I bought a bunch of gold at 1100 an ounce. Looks like my money stayed right where i put it.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yes, its the media's fault that the Trump administration failed to grasp the urgency of the situation months ago.
From what I remembered he restricted Travel from China... was one of the First..then orange man was bad and racist for doing so...

He actually saved lives by doing this because it gave our medical system more time to prepare for a pandemic that was going to reach here anyways... 500 infected in a drop in the bucket

Italy is a example of open borders, socialized healthcare, and no travel ban.... they have been over ran in two weeks...

Old 03-12-2020, 09:14 AM

12,375 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You think I'm happy my portfolio is down 22%

What is wrong with you?
Russians can rig our elections, people can die from coronavirus, the economy can go down the toilet, all fine with them, but don't you dare say anything negative about President Trump or his cultists will lose their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies