Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 PM

68,325 posts, read 54,330,205 times

Advertisements

Not a Trump guy. Not a Biden guy. Other options?

Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm going to vote Biden this time, though I was really hoping it wouldn't be him. I hope he makes a great choice for his running mate. This will be my first time voting for a Democratic President and I'm looking forward to it.

I voted Gary Johnson last time as a protest vote. I wasn't yet deconstructed enough from my evangelical Christian upbringing to vote for Hillary but Trump disgusted me. I haven't heard much about the libertarians this time though.
I can not in my right mind vote for a man like Biden who has old age dementia much worse than Trump. So I voted for Sanders. Biden is a plagiarist. He steals lines from other politicians without crediting them. He supported the Iraq War. Too much other crap wrong with him. But the establishment Democrats are for Biden. There still isn't a dime's worth of difference between establishment Democrats and establishment Republicans. I'll either vote for nobody or the Libertarian.

I'll admit, though, people better get the unclipped or unadulterated stories behind Biden's supposed gaffes as this video proves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22pLCyj5wI

Old 03-11-2020, 08:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,136,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Evil begets evil, the only way is to not vote for evil. Giving even "the lesser" evil support validates said evil, and the next person to run against them is likely to be a new shade of evil.

Our "choices" for POTUS have been getting worse and worse over time, for this exact reason. Its a constant lowering of the bar.
But that's not something that you can change on Election Day. To not vote, or to vote for a marginal third party, increases the likelihood that the worse evil may win.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:36 PM

17,577 posts, read 6,882,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
But that's not something that you can change on Election Day. To not vote, or to vote for a marginal third party, increases the likelihood that the worse evil may win.
You're finally beginning to understand why Hillary lost.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Here is a post of mine from late last year, it still holds true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wrong. A 5% popular vote for a third party gets that third party to a point where they actually get taken seriously. They get matching campaign funds and possibly included in debates. It's playing the long game and I realize that most people are all about the instant gratification so it's a tough sell. But it certainly doesn't require a change to the process.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 823,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I've said 1000 times on here that I don't have a political party. So, even though I'd LOVE to see Trump tossed from the white house DJ Jazzy Jeff style, I am not one of the "Vote Blue, No Matter Who" people.

I won't vote for Biden.

Trump has been a way better president than I thought he would be, but my bar was set INCREDIBLY low for him, so I won't be voting for him either, I don't think.

Now, I really don't think it matters who I vote for. I believe my state is going to vote blue, no matter who, so I really don't have a say. I think the results of the last election show that the EC is going to appoint Trump president regardless. But, I'm a strong believer in everyone should vote anyway.

But I really haven't heard of any non-democrat options out there.

Who else is running for president?

You write in anyone you want. Just let your polling place know you want a write in ballet, or get one mailed to you.

Rand Paul would be a decent choice.

Gabbard would be an option.

I voted for Johnson last time. Almost 4m of us did.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM

746 posts, read 1,323,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If you don't want Trump, you are foolish to vote for anyone other than the ultimate Democratic nominee.

By that logic, if I don't want Biden - which I don't, for many, many reasons - I would be foolish to vote for anyone other than Trump.

Also, I agree that your friend would be better off without you in his life.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:59 PM

30,954 posts, read 22,026,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not a Trump guy. Not a Biden guy. Other options?

Canada?
You have to have white privilege, and have done black face, on at least two separate occasions

Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,327,161 times
I will vote for an anti-authoritarian party.

Enough of center to right-wing authoritarian parties, like the Dems and Republicans, beholden to billionaires and corporations, who have been shafting regular, working Americans for a century.

Last time I voted for Gary Johnson, but maybe I'll go Green this time around.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:22 PM

5,627 posts, read 6,200,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As things stand today, you have 2 choices. The R and the D. One will be the next POTUS.

Voting 3rd party is voting for Trump.
I am - perhaps quixotically - hoping that the one thng we can salvage from this election is more visibility for parites other than the Democrats or Republicans. So long as thiat is the choice, we will be faced with the type of choices we are supposedly facing now. If there is only a binary choice, each oft he Democratic and Republican parties is incentivized to nominate someone based on maintaining the power of the party over the people.

If a vote for a third party is a vote for Trump then that's on the Democratic PArty for not fielding a candidtae I feel I can vote for. Im still undecided, but one thing I am sure of is I am not excited about either the Republican or the presumptive Democratic nominee.

And yes Gabbard is still technically in the race for the Deocratic nomination, but at this point is that realistic? Not a knock on her, but the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies