Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Another reason why I prefer tiered voting, which would allow people to rank their choices. Wec ould do this to provide that if yur candidiate isn't in the top 2 vote recipients that they go to your second choice, and so on. It would decrease (but not eliminate) people's "fear" of voting for a non-D or R party as a first choice. MAybe then we'd start to see the appetite in the country for somethng other than a binary choice. Ds and Rs will fight this though, tooth and nail.

Or like Bernie is attempting to do, change it from the inside.

Or the states that have winner take all, could apportion the EC votes according to the actual vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Bill Weld is still in the Republican race. Some, but not many folks are voting for him in every primary.

A vote for anyone other than the party nominees will be a lost vote anyway, so choose the person who satisfies you the most, even if there's not a snowball's chance in hell they will win.

I've done it a few times. It felt good to know I was still participating, and my best choice was going to be recorded, even if there was no possibility of him winning.
Been there, done that. He got one vote in my precinct.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Again, you people are thinking about it wrong.

I used to vote "Independent" (voted for Nader one year and Baldwin another).

Now that I am older, and realize that when I vote for President I am voting for TWO BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT (Executive and Judicial - the President AND who he puts on the SCOTUS), I am far more hip to the scheme.

I hope you people realize this before you allow this country to be ran into the ground by judicial Supreme Court Left-win lunatics.
Or right wing nut jobs who think corporations are people. Citizens United and dark money pacs run this country.

Thank you, Supremes.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Or right wing nut jobs who think corporations are people. Citizens United and dark money pacs run this country.

Thank you, Supremes.
Liberals love Citizens United now.

As far as the most basic rights, the 1st and 2nd Amendments are all that we really have left in this country, and this is hanging in the balance with the next two Seats.

Want America to turn into communist s-----? Vote for a democrat for president. Want your most basic human rights to remain intact? Vote for a republican (Trump) for President. This is what the Supreme Court will do in the near future. The choice is up to us.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 AM

When Ross Perot decided to run for POTUS, his supporters got him on the ballot in all states and territories.. He got 20% of the vote, even with the craziness about threat to his family and dropping out, then back in again.

A serious and reasonable candidate could make a substantial dent in the current 2 part system. But it damn sure is not Jill Stein.

IMO, those of us more inclined to the middle and not too much debt could find agreement on enough issues to stop this s---. If we could find a candidate.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Want America to turn into communist s-----? Vote for a democrat for president.
You are as uninformed as liberals who think the Trump led GOP is going to precipitate a holocaust against "brown" people.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 AM

171 posts, read 109,342 times
Some people are so easily fooled by the fraud snake oil salesman @ 1600. Suppose you also believe tRump's claim the border wall would have helped? Even though United States had recorded more than 1,000 cases of coronavirus; Canada had nearly 100 and Mexico 8. He doesn't even need to show his followers common sense they believe what they are told to believe.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:42 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I've said 1000 times on here that I don't have a political party. So, even though I'd LOVE to see Trump tossed from the white house DJ Jazzy Jeff style, I am not one of the "Vote Blue, No Matter Who" people.

I won't vote for Biden.

Trump has been a way better president than I thought he would be, but my bar was set INCREDIBLY low for him, so I won't be voting for him either, I don't think.

Now, I really don't think it matters who I vote for. I believe my state is going to vote blue, no matter who, so I really don't have a say. I think the results of the last election show that the EC is going to appoint Trump president regardless. But, I'm a strong believer in everyone should vote anyway.

But I really haven't heard of any non-democrat options out there.

Who else is running for president?
Although he's dead, I still write in Frank Zappa for president each election.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:03 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Seriously? This is your answer? Pathetic.
Huh, what's your then?

Old 03-12-2020, 02:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I've said 1000 times on here that I don't have a political party. So, even though I'd LOVE to see Trump tossed from the white house DJ Jazzy Jeff style, I am not one of the "Vote Blue, No Matter Who" people.

I won't vote for Biden.

Trump has been a way better president than I thought he would be, but my bar was set INCREDIBLY low for him, so I won't be voting for him either, I don't think.

Now, I really don't think it matters who I vote for. I believe my state is going to vote blue, no matter who, so I really don't have a say. I think the results of the last election show that the EC is going to appoint Trump president regardless. But, I'm a strong believer in everyone should vote anyway.

But I really haven't heard of any non-democrat options out there.

Who else is running for president?
So from your post. You won't vote Biden -- no give there but you like Trump as President. I'm perplexed what's your dilemma?
If you like Trump as President why would you look for another candidate to vote for. Or are you just trying to encourage a healthy, lively discussion?

I know many of my conservative friends don't like Trump but he's the Republican candidate so they support him and endure the chaos for the push on criminalizing abortion or hope for a more conservative justice system. (unfortunately Trump's fascination with prison reform is not sitting well with them. They want stricter, longer sentences).

I know some folks that aren't keen on Biden but they will vote for him because they are more progressive and believe Biden is more likely to get closer to their policies.

But everyone has a different strategy and reason for making a choice.

I have one friend who is passionate about staying true to HIS values and not worrying if his vote for an independent means a vote for a candidate he doesn't support. (Third parties most likely just take votes away from one party or the other).

I've struggled in past elections because I've liked a candidate but the party they belong to is traditionally opposed to some of the issues I support.

But I've never been in a position where I like a candidate and what he's done and looked for someone else to vote for.

Not sure the libertarian or other independents have put their name into the race. Maybe somebody will pop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies