Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times

Advertisements

Say what you want about Fox News but the link below is to an article about Chinese threatening to block medications they manufacture. Do we need anymore evidence that it is time to be a little more nationalistic especially when it comes to China? Time for drug companies and many others to bring this back to the US or at least a more friendly country.

What I find interesting, is Fox is the only place I can find this info. I looked on several other more liberal news sights I often check for balance and nothing is mentioned. I guess this does not fit the liberal democrat narrative of globalism and China is our friend? Feel free to post from other sources or prove FN wrong. Maybe they are the ones spreading fear with this one?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/chines...onavirus-drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 06:55 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
If we panicked over every opinion piece economy would've melted down long ago.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Say what you want about Fox News but the link below is to an article about Chinese threatening to block medications they manufacture. Do we need anymore evidence that it is time to be a little more nationalistic especially when it comes to China? Time for drug companies and many others to bring this back to the US or at least a more friendly country.

What I find interesting, is Fox is the only place I can find this info. I looked on several other more liberal news sights I often check for balance and nothing is mentioned. I guess this does not fit the liberal democrat narrative of globalism and China is our friend? Feel free to post from other sources or prove FN wrong. Maybe they are the ones spreading fear with this one?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/chines...onavirus-drugs
I guess if China wants to play that game we could counter with a no Chinese product ban.
Basically you sell us everything or you don't get to sell anything, if they think coronavirus hurt there economy, wait until there biggest customer cuts them off completely.
Yes it would be painful, but we would be better off in the end.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:30 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Eh......China has very little to gain by doing this. China has crazy right wing hawks just like America and every other country does. It doesn't mean that they actually dictate policy. China has very hawkish propaganda outlets that are mouth pieces for the CCP, but remember, it is just that - propaganda that's used to rile up the masses and to show 'strength'. In reality, China is a lot more nuanced in its decisions. What exactly would China gain by denying medical supplies during a time like this? First off, it'd make them look horrendous. Having face is very important in Asian cultures, and this would do the exact opposite. China usually has a policy of trying to appear more level headed and always trying its best to take the moral high ground compared to the US. China knows that to supplant the US, goodwill and tactful decisions that demonstrate that you're a world leader have to be done over a long period of time while the US continues to wane worldwide making dumb decisions. Again, this would do nothing except severely damage their image. Secondly, China has hundreds and thousands of its own citizens in our country doing business, going school, or living abroad. Why would they risk exposing their own people to risks associated with the virus here by denying medical supplies if those people will just end up going back to China? Thirdly, the US could respond with pain by denying China student visas, blocking business, or even supplies of food. China relies heavily on imported food to feed nearly 1.5 billion people and because they have rapidly decreasing arable land. If there was ever bout of pestilence or livestock disease that wiped out vast supplies of food in China the US could block food exports to China to payback if they ever blocked medical supplies. Again this would all be stupid and no one would gain from human suffering. I'd expect more level headed leaders will prevail.

Not that I disagree with you though. I would concur that the US needs to have some semblance of a manufacturing base for items of critical national security like type of computer chips, medicines etc. It's very risky to rely on complex supply chains from all over the planet that could be susceptible to war, energy shocks, or other unexpected disturbances (e.g. COVID).

Old 03-13-2020, 07:45 AM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Each country should supply its own needs as best it can.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:47 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,189 times
The virus likely originated in Wuhan at an animal market less than 300 yards from a research facility that was studying the corona virus from bat specimens.

China manufactures most of the medication which will be used to treat viral infection = Profit motive
The virus provides a great excuse to shut down cities and stop widespread anti-government protests = more motive
The virus outbreak hurts the markets and U.S. economy, which will help boost the democrat party who are more friendly toward the communist Chinese government = even more motive

Old 03-13-2020, 07:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Coronavirus or not, we should have manufacturing capacity in our country to provide everything we need in time of crisis. We're ahead of the game with food, as some countries don't even have that.

Pharmaceutical raw materials is a big issue. China supplies almost all of it, and much of it is contaminated (see Ranitidine).

No one wants chemical plants in their backyards, which is basically what Pharma API plants are. Build them in the middle of Kansas or something where some abandoned town now lies.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:49 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

This is basic common sense, or at least should be.
Globalization has been the complete opposite of that.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
especially ones that pose a national security risk if made by unfriendly nations.

it would be a little different if we were dependent on, say, a friendly nation like canada for these things.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The virus likely originated in Wuhan at an animal market less than 300 yards from a research facility that was studying the corona virus from bat specimens.

China manufactures most of the medication which will be used to treat viral infection = Profit motive
The virus provides a great excuse to shut down cities and stop widespread anti-government protests = more motive
The virus outbreak hurts the markets and U.S. economy, which will help boost the democrat party who are more friendly toward the communist Chinese government = even more motive
Man the right wingers are really going all in on the conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies