Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 07:36 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is how trump has handled this virus (worse than Italy!). If not for the others who took over this crisis, we would all be doomed!

January 22: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine."

February 2: "We pretty much shut it down coming in from China."

February 24: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA... Stock Market starting to look very good to me!"

February 25: "CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus."

February 25: "I think that's a problem that's going to go away... They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we're very close to a vaccine."

February 26: "The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

February 26: "We're going very substantially down, not up."

February 27: "One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear."

February 28: "We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical."

February 28: "Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right? Coronavirus, they're politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, 'How's President Trump doing?' They go, 'Oh, not good, not good.' They have no clue. They don't have any clue. They can't even count their votes in Iowa." "They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They'd been doing it since you got in. It's all turning. They lost. It's all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax."

March 2: "You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?"

March 2: "A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they're happening very rapidly."

March 4: "If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work - some of them go to work, but they get better."

March 5: "I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work."

March 5: "The United States... has, as of now, only 129 cases... and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!"

March 6: "I think we're doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down... a tremendous job at keeping it down."

March 6: "Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They're there. And the tests are beautiful.... the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good."

March 6: "I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it... Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this?' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president."

March 6: "I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault."

March 8: "We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus."

March 9: "This blindsided the world."
Yeah, Trump's rhetoric hasn't been accurate, and it hasn't been helpful. *sigh* He may be the President, but he's not the only person in the country though. We've had other, more positive contributions. I think our public health systems have (overall) been responding well, and even many businesses have shown surprising flexibility in allowing their workers to e.g. work from home, cancelling big events. Not perfect, but on balance I think we're doing okay.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I think the states have really stepped up and filled the void of the Feds, who are supposed to lead.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2020, 07:39 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yeah, Trump's rhetoric hasn't been accurate, and it hasn't been helpful. *sigh* He may be the President, but he's not the only person in the country though. We've had other, more positive contributions. I think our public health systems have (overall) been responding well, and even many businesses have shown surprising flexibility in allowing their workers to e.g. work from home, cancelling big events. Not perfect, but on balance I think we're doing okay.
i agree with you.

Plus, at the very very beginning, my er doctor uncle has told me the same thing over and over, "Lily, you are really on your own. How do you choose to live is YOUR own choice. Doctors cannot help you, there are no treatment, it is your strong immune system will end up save your life. Stay home as much as possible, YOUR behavior can save lives, if you are sick, stay home."

If the test = antidote, then yeah, give it to everybody, but test with zero follow up plan will give majority people a false sense of security in my opinion. Most people would think, "Yeah, I am tested positive, so what? It is like a bad cold" we don't quarantine people, this is the issue.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Notice he left out the action takin.
Please. List all the actions trump has taken besides minimizing the problem or blaming the Democrats for fake news.

Oh, and add the dates those trump actions took place.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And we have had more time to prepare.
Yep... I mean I don't claim to have a crystal ball, so I have no quantitative predictions... but jeez, things have shifted massively this week in terms of measures to "flatten the curve". I really can't recall people and businesses taking such measures as they have been taking, and I am 60yo, can you? I still think it's going to be a significant problem, but far less than the worst it could have been.

And within the next couple of weeks, high throughput testing, already underway at Quest and Labcorp, will be in full swing. That will also help. Better testing => better situational awareness => better decisions. Would have been better of course if we had it 3 weeks ago, but we have some capacity now and it's increasing rapidly.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:45 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep... I mean I don't claim to have a crystal ball, so I have no quantitative predictions... but jeez, things have shifted massively this week in terms of measures to "flatten the curve". I really can't recall people and businesses taking such measures as they have been taking, and I am 60yo, can you? I still think it's going to be a significant problem, but far less than the worst it could have been.

And within the next couple of weeks, high throughput testing, already underway at Quest and Labcorp, will be in full swing. That will also help. Better testing => better situational awareness => better decisions. Would have been better of course if we had it 3 weeks ago, but we have some capacity now and it's increasing rapidly.
Very good point.

We should all do our part. We are all in this together. can't rely on the government, I don't even think we can rely on the doctors at this point.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:47 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,797,954 times
Well I can't get to Palawan. (It is a rather big island in the Philippines and where my home and finance are. )

Yesterday I searched and searched the news and a travel agent sent me the actual decree that closed the main airport called Puerto Princesa. All it said was that specific airport and travel by air. So I got busy and booked two flights to take me to my home in the Philippines via a different airport. This morning I learned that the ban applies to all airports on Palawan as well as trips by ferry. Ferry was my backup plan and that is gone too.

I still conceivable could get to my home on Palawan but that requires me going by sea on my own boat. Not feasible since I don't have a crew to man the vessel and it is a long way from here to the Philippines much of it upwind.

There are currently zero cases of CV where I am at now and this island in Malaysia is still open...however, I predict Malaysia will follow the lead of the Philippines.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Glad Pelosi kicked it off and fought for it.
Thank heavens for Pelosi.

I watched Trump's Rose Garden address today. What a bunch of nonsense. This partnership was "incredible" and that guy was "tremendous," ...

Claimed he didn't know that the interdepartmental crisis management team had been disbanded. News to him.

Pence, who supposedly is leading up this effort, spent his time at the microphone praising Trump.

Trump's plan is buy up oil for the oil reserves and a website that goes up Sunday. Would not commit to any timeline on when the tests might be available or if any additional medical equipment is being purchased.

Turns out that Trump's announcement the that Google was working on a website that would allow members of the public to “determine whether a test is warranted” and where to go to get one is news to Google.

“I want to thank Google. Google is helping develop a website. It's going to be very quickly done, unlike websites of the past,” Trump said, adding that the company had “1,700 engineers” working on the effort

Google quickly clarified that the website is still “in the very early stages of development.”

Also, seems Trump's claim of 1700 engineers working on it was improbable.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/google...tages?ref=home

Old 03-13-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
i agree with you.

Plus, at the very very beginning, my er doctor uncle has told me the same thing over and over, "Lily, you are really on your own. How do you choose to live is YOUR own choice. Doctors cannot help you, there are no treatment, it is your strong immune system will end up save your life. Stay home as much as possible, YOUR behavior can save lives, if you are sick, stay home."

If the test = antidote, then yeah, give it to everybody, but test with zero follow up plan will give majority people a false sense of security in my opinion. Most people would think, "Yeah, I am tested positive, so what? It is like a bad cold" we don't quarantine people, this is the issue.
I largely agree... I mean, to some extent, a positive test can inform your self-quarantine if it's positive, but of course, there can be false negative results in the early stages I hear (test says okay, but person develops disease in a few days). I do think it's important for older people to know if they are a patient. Your uncle is right, there's no cure, but so long as there is capacity in the hospital, if you're in rough shape, they can treat fever, they can give medications to help improve your breathing or even put you on a ventilator, which could save your life. I've at least heard that there are some indications that antiviral medications may help.

In large part though, the tests are helpful because the data that is fed back provides critical information about the extent of the problem, both nationwide as well as it's geographical distribution to public jealth officials - this can inform the tactics used.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Very good point.

We should all do our part. We are all in this together. can't rely on the government, I don't even think we can rely on the doctors at this point.
Yes, I like the way that you think :-). And better if people can cooperate, i.e. don't panic buy stuff or fight over stuff at the supermarket for example, just take what you need and leave the rest for someone else. Check on elderly neighbors now and then who might be overlooked, even if it's just a phone call. We'll all be better off if people can stay a little calmer and try to be "good citizens" in this difficult time. I know that sounds corny, but it's absolutely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies