Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 09:43 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Good recent article from Johns Hopkins.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...coronavirus-in

Old 03-14-2020, 09:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I completely agree with TMRetired.

We have to do our own part. This is not a political issue.
The president of the United States, be it a democrat or a republican, has a certain responsibility with messages and announcements to the citizens regarding an epidemic/pandemic wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-14-2020, 09:46 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
DJT announcement that Google was building a nation-wide COVID-19 screening web site is mostly a fabrication. Sister company Verily... is testing a triage web site in the Bay Area for health care workers.

Ref.: https://www.wired.com/story/coronavi...oogle-website/

Still can't believe anything coming out of the White House.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The president of the United States, be it a democrat or a republican, has a certain responsibility with messages and announcements to the citizens regarding an epidemic/pandemic wouldn't you agree?
In normal times, with a normal president, I would agree with you. Unfortunately we do not have that kind of person in the White House now.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Might be a good time for people to learn breathing technics, respiratory exercises.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:52 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes, I agree. But I am getting tired of all these finger pointing. It benefits no one, certainly not me.

I choose the posts I want to read, so the political bickering posts is a waste of my time.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:53 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There could easily be 1,000,000 or more that have been infected by now worldwide, and we'll probably never know what that true number is, because up to 20% of infected people are totally asymptomatic, and never develop any cough or fever at all over the entire time they are infected. Or they had mild symptoms and were never tested to confirm if they had it in the first place.

Supposedly, China is developing a serologoical test (different from the kits now that are looking for the virus genome inside you) to be able to test people to see if they have the conoravirus antibodies in their body, meaning that they were infected at some point but never got sick, that will at least give us a better idea of the amount of people that were truly infected.

Containment in the US is impossible at this point, you would of had to seal off the entire United States (air/land/sea) months ago and not let anybody into or out of the country back in January, and even then it was probably too late. Then you would of had to keep it like that probably until next January or longer!

Assume the virus is everywhere at this point, don't panic, but wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap, avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth, and avoid people as much as you can. It's now all about delaying everyone getting it at the same time, as to not overwhelm the healthcare system. If we can at least stagger the infections, we have a much better chance of keeping our death rate low.

It's basically not a matter of if you will get it, but a matter of when, stay strong my friends, we're all in this together!
I am thinking that in order to get a visa to visit a country with low or zero rates of infection...a test for antibodies would prove someone already had it and recovered and would be safe to approve.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I've read that there could be a need for over 700,000 ventilators, and that there are less than 200,000 in the entire country.
The coronavirus was handled poorly from the top down and from the beginning in the US. As a result, we are facing a crisis similar to Iran or Italy.

Quote:
If we stay on the current track, this model predicts that roughly a third of Americans – more than 100 million people — could become infected (including more than nine million at one time). Other estimates are higher, up to two-thirds, but even in this scenario, one million could die.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-response.html

Old 03-14-2020, 09:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You could say the very same thing for the flu or chicken pox or measles or any communicable disease. If it's mild you stay home and you go under the radar of stats.
But in those cases though there is history of confirmed cases which gives a basis for estimates.

We have no basis so we cannot estimate. We only have the facts given to us..confirmed deaths/confirmed infected.
Of course, the seasonal flu death rate is probably even less than 0.1% or 0.2% or whatever it is, since many who get it just stay home and never go see a doctor to get tested to confirm it was indeed a certain strain of the flu, which reduces the overall number of total flu cases reported, therefore the denominator is actually higher than what is being reported.

The big unknowns with this coronavirus is there is no current vaccine, like the seasonal flu, they don't know yet if this new novel virus is seasonal, meaning that the infections might go down once the summer hits, like the seasonal flu does and they don't know how long immunity lasts after one becomes infected and survives, is it life-long, a few months, a year?

Like I said previously, at this point it's all about delaying the amount of infections, so not everyone gets infected at the same time and brings down the entire healthcare system.

It's not a matter of if you will get it, but a matter of when!

Old 03-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
DJT announcement that Google was building a nation-wide COVID-19 screening web site is mostly a fabrication. Sister company Verily... is testing a triage web site in the Bay Area for health care workers.

Ref.: https://www.wired.com/story/coronavi...oogle-website/

Still can't believe anything coming out of the White House.
Quote:
*"a planning effort is underway" for Verily to "aid in the COVID-19 testing effort in the US.

So verify is planning it but they were unaware Trump was going to announce it the way he did. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies