Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 03:45 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Johns Hopkins professor estimates at least 50,000 people have coronavirus in US

A medical professor at Johns Hopkins University urged Americans not to believe low numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, warning the actual number of people walking around with the virus could be “between 50,000 and half a million.”

“Don’t believe the numbers when you see, even on our Johns Hopkins website, that 1,600 Americans have the virus,” Makary said. “No, that means 1,600 got the test, tested positive. There are probably 25 to 50 people who have the virus for every one person who is confirmed.”
Oh I totally believe that, it's spreading. Folks need to stay out of crowds and slow it down. It's up to us really, you and I.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:46 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
These are the latest numbers; Scroll down by country

https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=dcd46351_2

Old 03-14-2020, 03:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
These Italian people are so lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rLw6SCSmE
Easy when people live in such dense high-rises. Not so easy in a typical US suburb

Old 03-14-2020, 03:50 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Thank you for pointing out true numbers and being reasonable about it. No one needs to panic, but we do need to know accurate numbers and decide how to best act with that information

Just by way of comparing numbers, Italy got 3,497 new cases just in the past day
Yes thank you for posting REAL numbers from Italy. Certain people on here need to stop posting incorrect information.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Easy when people live in such dense high-rises. Not so easy in a typical US suburb
I think their positive attitude will help them get through this. All doom and gloom and totally stressed out is not going to be good for immune system. Hope they take D3 at least.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:56 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
How does this virus kill?

This virus spreads via nasal/oral/lung contents when sneezed coughed into the environment. It remains on surfaces and most surfaces we touch. Once transmitted signs are like symptoms of flu, fever, cough, wheezy, fatigue and feeling out of sorts.

Then the virus does something unusual. in this regard it mimics SARS. It prompts our immune systems to cascade our bodies antibodies into our bloodstream at an amount far more than is necessary. This quickly forces the heart and lungs to work overtime and the lungs scar becoming unable to exchange oxygen. The body fills with carbon dioxide and the heart stops. This effect in the body is called ARDS or adult respiratory distress syndrome. Ventilators can help but once the amount of lung tissue fails we can do nothing but ease distress. It is a catastrophic insult to the body.

SARS did the same thing but unlike CoVid-19 it targeted all age groups. It was catastrophic and quickly so. If you are ill with symptoms as mentioned, call your MD promptly. Depending upon the severity of your symptoms, you may be directed to go to the office or the the emergency department.

This virus in it's early stages is fully treatable and 95% of those affected recover. Most of people affected survive or do not become more ill. Here are recommendations from World Health.

Wash your hands frequently and carry a pocket hand sanitizer.
Avoid sick contacts.
Avoid large crowded areas.
If you are going to travel by public conveyance wear a mask.
If you must travel by air, take strict precautions, sanitize your hands, seat trays and your luggage handles.
Wash your hands frequently.
Encourage your employer to tell employees to stay home if they are sick.

This virus is entirely manageable for the vast majority of people. If you become ill take prompt action.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
We all have family members that are at risk. I'm not worried for myself...early 50's...work out 4 to 5 times a week...healthy. My parents are elderly with health problems...both of my older sisters have auto-immune disorders....so a big chunk of my family is at risk...this could take them out...the reports out of Italy are nothing less than alarming....I don't want to see people suffer and especially those close to me.
Yes. I am in the group that has a high chance of dying from this. I have friends older than me. I live in a sparsely populated area yet we have 5 confirmed cases. I am not ready to die yet.

I am stocked up and staying home. But I did have to go out a couple of times this week and felt very uneasy being out there.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Glad Trump is being tested. Glad they are checking folks around him.
Has Nervous Nancy been tested? Not looking well at all. Is what Quid Pro Joe has contagious?

We are soulful and praying for her.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...er-face-video/

Old 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM

989 posts, read 456,114 times
I can't take credit for the following sentiment--it came from another site regarding Trump's Rose Garden feel-good yesterday.

Quote:
But you failed to notice that the touting of the incredible rollout of the incredible website was intended as a dig at Obama’s flawed rolled of the ACA website in 2010. Trump has an awesome memory of Obama slights. His instinct for vendetta is totally awesome.

And how could you fail to notice that Trump bought cheap oil from the Saudis or Putin to fill up the strategic reserves that he depleted when he took office because who needs strategic reserves.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Has anyone done a wellness check on Ruth Bader Ginsburg? Has she been tested for CV-19? She is high risk - underlying medical condition, very old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies