Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 05:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fake News.

It is hardly a cure, as you said. What the article really says is:

"May help" is a long way from a cure.
When they are already negotiating with pharma companies who will produce the antibodies, they must be pretty far, although it says they still need to test it first for a few months. Here is another source:

https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/14/dutch-...ibodies-report

Old 03-14-2020, 05:46 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
American numbers of slowly getting updated as the day drags to a cose. at 7:30 pm, we're up to 2836 total cases, 589 news one today and 57 deaths, 8 of them today. Those are the numbers we know about

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
So, according to the John Hopkins Hospital professor, it's really 141800. 50 for every 1 positive cases, I'm sure someone will correct my math if wrong.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:46 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good news.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:47 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That doesn't mean any such thing. It means just what he said, that the number infected is greater than the number of confirmed. Remember there is a high percentage of mild cases. Because we are pre-screening who gets tested, many of those mild cases don't make the cut and are unconfirmed, at least here in the US. Mild cases don't die.
Indeed. The real risk with mild cases is the potential to infect those already immunocompromised.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
So, according to the John Hopkins Hospital professor, it's really 141800. 50 for every 1 positive cases, I'm sure someone will correct my math if wrong.
Im trying to steer clear of hypotheticals here and only somewha aware of what the John Hopkins professor said. I believe most people think the US has more than 2836 cases though, but we just don't know

Old 03-14-2020, 05:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
donald trump is truly teflon.

nothing sticks.

You could put him in a room full of coronavirus coughing on him, and he wouldn't get it.

Who the duck is watching over and protecting trump?

Old 03-14-2020, 05:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I have heard of that as well. Although not 3 hours, but 1 hour.

What I wonder, how many of those viruses does one need to inhale in order to get infected? Is a single virus enough? Or does it take tens or hundreds?

Old 03-14-2020, 05:50 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Notice the word "could" ?

Old 03-14-2020, 05:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default You'll probably be called mean and uncaring although you bring up a good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Being infected with the Chinese Corona Virus or the Wuhan Creeping Red Death does not result in uncontrollable explosive diarrhea or extreme thirst. Why are people getting into boxing matches at Costco and stabbing each other at Sam's over bottled water? If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper when staying at home for two weeks, you probably should have seen a doctor long ago. What did people do before some marketing genius came up with the idea of putting water into small clear bottles and charging outrageous amounts for it? And why must we now "self-quarantine" rather than just "staying at home"?

Make personal hygiene great again, wash your hands as you should during any flu season, and use common sense. Call grandma rather than visit for a few weeks. (My mom's on hospice care in a nursing home so this may hasten a process already started, and I'm aware of that and have settled with it in my mind that I'm unable to visit.)

I, and I'm sure many of us, grew up drinking water from the kitchen faucet, the garden hose, a well, or if camping, a stream. I did and I survived just fine.

I went to Costco today for some routine shopping. We normally have enough stocked for a month or more and are feeling no panic. Our pantry and freezers are no more and no less full than they usually are. Anticipating a line and the opportunity to stop at a nearby coffee shop, I found probably 1,000 or more sheeple in line waiting outside just after opening time, I saw people pushing two carts at a time, each packed with 5-6 large packs of water, baby wipes, gloves, etc. It's an emotion-driven feeding frenzy.

Are the SJWs happier with the name "Covid-19" rather than what I used above? Does quarantining sound a lot more dramatic than staying at home?

I blame the media for stirring this up unnecessarily to sell stories and gain audience share. If anything needs to be shut down for a month, it's the MSM.

Chill out, lemmings. It's going to be just fine! That pallet of water won't make any difference.

My kid is home for a month and telelearning. My wife works from home and is unaffected. My work environment requires me to physically be there as it's absolutely impossible to reach into electronically from the outside, so that's where I'll be. I'd rather have things be as normal as possible but will appreciate less traffic for awhile.

Will some number of people die from this? Yes, just as with the seasonal flu but in far fewer numbers and those succumbing will likely have underlying health issues which make them susceptible - just as with the regular flu. Yes, they should take precautions and be actively protected when possible.
Coronavirus = CODVID 19. I wonder what was wrong with the word Corona that compelled the medical authorities to change it's public name?

Coronavirus = A need to stock up on toilet paper. I could understand if it was kleenex but toilet paper? It's not a gastro-intestinal illness. Do people normally use a lot of toilet paper when they're facing a bad case of the flu virus? Maybe they're buying it to use as kleenex in case they actually come down with the virus and experience a runny nose.

Coronavirus = A need to stock up on bottled water. Is the water company turning off the city/town's water supply because they have to work from home too?

Coronavirus = Everyone should remain socially isolated from now until the summer, no make that the end of summer, no make that early fall? Wait, can the entire country remain working from home for the next 3, 6, 9 months? Do we cancel schools, sports, church, and being out in public period until every American home receives a vaccination for Cornonavirus (whenever the vaccination is created)? What happens when fall returns and flu season starts all over again? What happens when the flu virus mutates again? Of course it will be given a different name but do we return to panic mode all over again? Because viruses mutate. That is what they do every so often which is why a flu shot will work for one type of flu but not for another. Are we supposed to socially isolate until the end of the world?

Coronavirus = the virus exists in respiratory droplets when a person talks, coughs, sneezes, spits, and breathes. Yet, the wearing of masks is being discouraged, in the USA, because supposedly "it won't stop the virus". Yet, doctors and nurses use them when working with patients with certain illnesses and when they're performing surgery regardless of what the illness. Why? So they don't actually get anyone sick because we all have spittle, cough, or sneeze that happens - often it happens involuntarily and without warning. When you visit patients or premature babies, you can't go into the room without a mask. So even if the masks are not 100% effective, they will contain a person's spittle, cough, sneeze, or breath from landing on your face, lips, inside your opened mouth, or nose. The very areas we want to protect.

China's cases are on the decline and whenever the media showed their citizens on the news, 99.9% of them were wearing masks. But the American public, in which the cases are still increasing, is discouraged from wearing masks because some doctor says "it won't stop the virus - the virus is so small that it can get through the pores of the mask". It may not stop it but it sure can contain a person's spit, cough, sneeze or breath so the person isn't sneezing out in the air where someone else will walk 2 minutes later and breathe it in. Masks have some potential to slow down the transmission rate and cause the rate of new cases to diminish like in China whose citizens started wearing masks after the outbreak started.

Lastly, I don't understand why aren't authorities in the medical community emphasizing the need for people to eat healthy and increase nutrient rich foods during this time; especially those high in vitamins C and D? Why aren't people encouraged to build up their immune system which enables us to better withstand viruses and bacteria attacks because news flash: Viruses and bacteria will NEVER GO AWAY as long as life exists on the earth. NOT EVER. So it's impossible to isolate yourself from their existence. What is possible is to practice safe hygiene, eat foods which enable you to maintain a strong immune system, drink lot of water (it doesn't have to be bottled), and keep active to keep your body in shape and flush out toxins.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 03-14-2020 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 05:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
American numbers of slowly getting updated as the day drags to a cose. at 7:30 pm, we're up to 2836 total cases, 589 news one today and 57 deaths, 8 of them today. Those are the numbers we know about

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I am not familiar with what the Johns Hopkins prof said, but he claims 50 people who are infected for every confirmed case?

That is actually really good news. If we have 57 deaths out of 141,000 cases, that is a CFR of 0.04%.

That mortality is extremely low, lower than the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies