Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 07:01 PM

46,887 posts, read 25,854,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I heard this on several occasions on C-D that the death rate of flu is a "fraction of Corona". Are you saying that the number of deaths from the Corona virus in the US during this 2019-2020 season has exceeded 22,000?
Word of the Day: "rate"

Old 03-14-2020, 07:01 PM

30,024 posts, read 11,616,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I simply calculated a death rate based it on what elan said (in post #2588) a Johns Hopkins professor said. If the professor is right then the death rate I calculated is right. Note that the professor is saying what the actual number of infected people are. All of the death rates that people are quoting, like 3%, are based on confirmed cases which everyone thinks are way less than the actual number of infections, because of not enough testing.

I can't say whether the professor is right or wrong, but if he is right, the actual death rate is much lower than what people think it is.

There is a lot we don't know. We do know that we have a count of about 2800 positives and 57 deaths. That is about 2% and in the range of what is suppose to be. However over 1000 of the positives are just in the past two days. So those 2800 cases will most certainly result in more than 57 deaths.

When I was looking at the numbers around the world the smallest I found was .4% in one area of China. I have no idea why that area was much lower. Younger population? Who knows.

We can throw around lots of numbers. Not sure where that gets us.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,281,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Mine went from none to two just today. But has anyone heard from WaldoKitty lately?
They haven't posted since 3-11-2020 @ 5:22PM.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:03 PM

48,443 posts, read 34,618,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

We can throw around lots of numbers. Not sure where that gets us.

The ability to be wrong with conviction?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-14-2020, 07:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,923,455 times
So panic was created with Trump's travel restrictions, resulting in hoards of people at the airports in the USA at the same time...sharing the love. ChicagoO'Hare -- 3 hours for screening.......minimum. One guy on twitter claimed a three hour line and not at baggage claim yet.

Thousands of people packed in like sardines --- wow --- that was well planned.https://twitter.com/BrookeGMcDonald/...86272137502720

Old 03-14-2020, 07:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,923,455 times
O'Hare is one if 13 airports.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:09 PM

15,703 posts, read 9,465,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I heard this on several occasions on C-D that the death rate of flu is a "fraction of Corona". Are you saying that the number of deaths from the Corona virus in the US during this 2019-2020 season has exceeded 22,000? Could you provide the source of where you're getting this information because I did not find any information on CDC's website that corroborates what you're saying. It sounds misleading.
Death rate means the percentage of those who got the flu or Covid-19 and then die. For example, the deatth rate of the flu is .1%. For CV, it is said to be as high as 3.4% depending on who you listen to

Old 03-14-2020, 07:12 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,788,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
From the way the graph is progressing, it doesn't appear we are succeeding in flattening the curve.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en
I think the quoted Ro figures of how many people are infected by one person doesn't reflect the fact Americans are far more mobile.

Just activity of the one lawyer in NYC put 50 people into quarantine and caused several transmission.

From birth American's are trained to be outgoing extroverted and to snub authority. Hence, we get a basketball player touching everyone and touching the microphones of reporters.

We even shake far more hands.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:20 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,751,376 times
In Chicago O'hare Airport are those people trying to leave the country or returning home to the U.S.???

Good news about increased testing:

Quest Diagnostics announced Saturday the increased capacity for processing COVID-19 tests is due to opening two new laboratories.
Quest conducts coronavirus tests for states across the country, including Oregon, at its infectious disease lab in Southern California.
https://www.opb.org/news/article/cor...4-burgerville/

The company said it is opening two additional labs in Virginia and Massachusetts next week.
“Once additional FDA-approved high-throughput testing is available on large diagnostic platforms next week, the industry expects its capacity to be increased to more than 20,000 tests per day,” the American Clinical Laboratory Association, Quest’s trade association, said in a statement Friday. “Assuming there are no delays or shortages of necessary materials and supplies, commercial capacity is expected to exceed 280,000 tests per week by April 1.”

Once this large capacity testing happens then we're going to start seeing the true number of infected here in the U.S. Right now we really don't know because so little testing has occurred. And yes testing is important for seeing how widespread this is and responding accordingly.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:20 PM

30,220 posts, read 23,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Being infected with the Chinese Corona Virus or the Wuhan Creeping Red Death does not result in uncontrollable explosive diarrhea or extreme thirst. Why are people getting into boxing matches at Costco and stabbing each other at Sam's over bottled water? If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper when staying at home for two weeks, you probably should have seen a doctor long ago. What did people do before some marketing genius came up with the idea of putting water into small clear bottles and charging outrageous amounts for it? And why must we now "self-quarantine" rather than just "staying at home"?

Make personal hygiene great again, wash your hands as you should during any flu season, and use common sense. Call grandma rather than visit for a few weeks. (My mom's on hospice care in a nursing home so this may hasten a process already started, and I'm aware of that and have settled with it in my mind that I'm unable to visit.)

I, and I'm sure many of us, grew up drinking water from the kitchen faucet, the garden hose, a well, or if camping, a stream. I did and I survived just fine.

I went to Costco today for some routine shopping. We normally have enough stocked for a month or more and are feeling no panic. Our pantry and freezers are no more and no less full than they usually are. Anticipating a line and the opportunity to stop at a nearby coffee shop, I found probably 1,000 or more sheeple in line waiting outside just after opening time, I saw people pushing two carts at a time, each packed with 5-6 large packs of water, baby wipes, gloves, etc. It's an emotion-driven feeding frenzy.

Are the SJWs happier with the name "Covid-19" rather than what I used above? Does quarantining sound a lot more dramatic than staying at home?

I blame the media for stirring this up unnecessarily to sell stories and gain audience share. If anything needs to be shut down for a month, it's the MSM.

Chill out, lemmings. It's going to be just fine! That pallet of water won't make any difference.

My kid is home for a month and telelearning. My wife works from home and is unaffected. My work environment requires me to physically be there as it's absolutely impossible to reach into electronically from the outside, so that's where I'll be. I'd rather have things be as normal as possible but will appreciate less traffic for awhile.

Will some number of people die from this? Yes, just as with the seasonal flu but in far fewer numbers and those succumbing will likely have underlying health issues which make them susceptible - just as with the regular flu. Yes, they should take precautions and be actively protected when possible.
The End.

Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies