Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
TSA doesn't do the customs -- that's federal.

When you come back from a country and need screening - it is local TSA agents...it's Immigration officers.
i
TSA are trained to look for terrorists.
I doubt they have any training for pandemics.

Sadly there is no rulebook to deal with this. The rules are being written, modified, re-written as this thing plays out.

And finger pointing and looking for a scapegoat is not serving any purpose as no one anywhere in this world has any experience with a pandemic of this scale.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:20 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, it takes someone from the feds, to say, hey bump up your work force? And these feds are NOT local, they have to wait for someone to tell them from...where?

Are you both of you really saying, that TSA hiring is not done locally, if so, who does the hiring for each state? Does someone from out of state also make the work schedule for each individual airport and send it to the local boss?
Maybe you would like to go volunteer at your nearest international airport and tell them how to do it.

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is how Koreans did it,

Listen and learn, listen and learn
That's what I've been reading.
Testing didn't work to contain it.
So now they are doing lockdowns and curfews.

They have to keep the people from congregating and traveling.
And that is because the people are not heeding the warnings.

Our airports are still full of travelers.
Our beaches are full of spring breakers partying away.
NJ did a limited lockdown and people are raging about "their rights".

I'm afraid that it's every man for himself.

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
TSA are trained to look for terrorists.
I doubt they have any training for pandemics.

Sadly there is no rulebook to deal with this. The rules are being written, modified, re-written as this thing plays out.

And finger pointing and looking for a scapegoat is not serving any purpose as no one anywhere in this world has any experience with a pandemic of this scale.

There IS a rule book for pandemics and we have had a couple months to prepare in addition to the policies and procedures that were done before covid19 was an issue.

We are making 3rd world country mistakes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Legitimate criticism /credit is not synonymous with politics. Would be nice though. Credit due/criticism deserved will hardly be agreed upon. This thread will be a perfect example of the disgusting attributes of politics. Finger pointing and blame, no quarter with little solution.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Coronavirus screening causes massive bottlenecks at O’Hare and other U.S. airports

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...mments-wrapper

Unbelievable. Trump's incompetence knows no bounds. He panics Americans into coming back home from Europe only to force them into long lines in crowded airports and put them back onto other planes and send them all across the country. He couldn't transmit the virus more efficiently if he tried.
The travel ban from China was not a ban. Rather it restricted most Chinese tourism. US people who had been in China were allowed to return. It is my understanding visiting family of US people were were allowed to enter, too.

Fast forward to last weekend, when Trump hosted a Brazilian delegation at Mar-a- Lago, some of whom tested positive. No telling how many people were exposed. More evidence the Federal Government continues to not take the virus as seriously as they could have done.

Unless a country ceased to admit anyone, including its own citizens, containment is not going to achieve its intention. All commercial international inbound travel is being funneled through a handful of US airports where people are being screened. Based on pictures, these masses are packed like sardines. The likelihood some of them will contract the virus while waiting hours to clear is high. We don’t know what, if any precautions are being taken for arrivals of private jets. That someone clears today does not mean they won’t test positive tomorrow.

It took almost 2 months and a loss of 3 + years of market gains for Trump to address the nation and began with “ we are responding with great speed”.

Trump wasted weeks blaming Democrats and the media and portraying himself as the victim. The consistently mixed messaging from the WH increased public uncertainty. And it persists. Mnuchin is out there communicating Trump was clear on cargo and people misinterpreted his comment. WTF. He could have said Trump’s messaging was not clear (own it) and take the opportunity to clarify. It appears it continues to be more important to protect Trump’s fragile ego than anything else.

At the same time Trump 2020 is out there bashing a Biden remark made in 2009 about how he would not travel on a commercial airline while ignoring Dr Fauci has made the same statement related to this virus.

Clear and consistent communication is the basis for leadership. Thus far, it is at odds with Trump’s temperament.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
They won't give a reason. They will just be on to the next thing to take him out.

I am not saying that I think this is a big hoax. I do not. Time will tell.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Pray for Trump supporters, yall. They're not the brightest stars in the galaxy.

https://twitter.com/JulieZauzmer/sta...02486147219456

Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Trump politicized and weaponized a public health crisis. Shame on him. If Americans are pushing back on this despicable behavior then Mr. Trump deserves it. You reap what you sow.

I repeat: Sadly, he and his people are politicizing and weaponizing an infectious disease as their next effort to divide the country and demonize the Democratic Party, all the while continuing to sow absolute chaos in these United States of America.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-15-2020 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The CDC cannot oversee every facet of society. You cannot put CDC employees at all airports standing next to TSA agents.

Yes I'm sure the people at the top have had plenty of training on paper and simulations.
But you know what....everything always works out fine on paper and scripted simulations.

And I'd wager that every single one of them knew that a pandemic situation would most likely be spread by travelers.

We are still letting people travel.

The first case in Texas....they traveled to Iran
The first case in SC...they traveled to Italy
The first case in CO...they traveled to Italy

(Those are the only states that I've been tracking)
You cannot implement policies without considering the consequences.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. If the airports couldn't handle the volume there should have been a staging.

As for South Carolina's cases. There were two cases almost at the exact same time. One woman who was traveling in Europe -- the papers said Italy but her own post said Germany (I know a friend who knows this woman and she shared her post about her diagnosis). They initially refused to give her the COVID test because they said Germany was low risk. Eventually -- I think a week later -- because her primary care doctor insisted they finally tested and confirmed. The woman in upstate they have no clue how she got it -- she did not travel. She was initially responsible for the bulk of other cases that popped up.

Now we are seeing other cases in Beaufort/Myrtle Beach and there is no indication that these folks traveled.

But be clear -- the first woman who came back from Europe with the virus has not had contact with these people. She is in Charleston County (Charleston SC area) and immediately self isolated. Her family -- travelling with her is not sick so far. The original case in Kershaw county had no contact with this woman and did not travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies