Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 11:04 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

We have no way of knowing how many people are sick.

I know multiple people in both Boston and Seattle who could have had contact and are either currently or have recently shown symptoms of the illness. One is currently in the ICU. Even the person in the ICU in arguably the medical capital of the USA wasn't able to be tested immediately because of lack of supplies.

Remember, one or two infected people at the Biogen conference who were not displaying symptoms (and who may never had really had more than a cold) spread it to over 60 people at the conference alone, and now up to 100+ through known spread originating at the conference. It's not a partisan issue to accept that it is already way more widespread than we know. We have the least testing of any nation.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Is anyone wearing a face mask yet? In my county there are 5 cases.. some second generation.. two deaths nearby.. I saw a few people wearing masks in my area.. Anyone wearing a face mask in your area or are you wearing one?

Judge Jeanine said to change your clothes after anyone goes to a public place. Wash your coat every 1 or two days. Apparently they believe this virus can be brought in on your clothes. A non peer reviewed study said this virus can be airborne up to 3 hours.. We all have to keep from getting this virus.. we don't want to clog up the hospital beds so we must take every precaution.
My husband wears a mask when he goes out because he's immunocompromised.

Well, Judge Jeanie! What expertise does she have? Yes, I'm sure it's a good idea to change your clothes if you've been out in public for a while. If someone sneezed, coughed, etc and it got on your clothes, they could be infective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me the issue is ICU beds and associated equipment.
Dr. Fauci just spoke on CNN (I believe it was CNN, anyway) and said there are 12,000 ventilators in the national stockpile. I'm not saying that's enough, just sayin'. A lot of ICU has to do with staffing. Usually ICU nurses have 1-2 patients to care for. Health care workers are going to be getting Covid-19 as well, so it will be hard to provide that level of staffing. Gov. Polis of Colorado has said state officials will expedite the licensing of health-care professionals who live in Colorado and already have licenses in other states. He also encouraged retired nurses and doctors to go back to work.
https://www.outtherecolorado.com/ret...k-in-colorado/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I question the approach of trying to hide low risk people from the virus which will devastate individuals, particularly low income individuals economically and lead to long lasting negative consequences to the economy. I don’t question the need to quarantine high risk people and protect them from this virus.
You and Boris are apparently the only people who think that could even be done. Your own link says:
"“The success is premised on the ability to keep those two groups separated, but I don’t know if you can,” Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the John Hopkins Center for Health Security and a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America, told MarketWatch.

“It’s a challenging approach,” Adalja said, adding that social distancing is the “good part” of what China did to slow down the rapid increase in coronavirus cases. “It’s going to be daunting. It’s not as if those two demographics never interact. None of these intervention options is cost free.” "

This is a public health emergency. Some of the economic consequences can be mitigated, and indeed, this is going on in the US right now. The economy will take a hit, yes. It takes a hit from lots of things. We can't let concerns about "the economy" over-ride public health. If low income individuals (or anyone else for that matter) get coronaviurs, that will impact them economically as well.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:05 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
The claim that the US failed to protect its people is the entire point of the Democrat Coronavirus war on Trump. “Failure to protect” can only mean one possible thing in this case, a massive number were infected before the government took acceptable action.

So Democrats need to get their story straight. Either Trump screwed up and many will be dead or dying within days or the US has taken the necessary steps to limit the spread.

Make up your minds.
Where have you read that “many will be dead and dying within a few days”, because I haven’t read that anywhere and I’m sure all my sources are the ******* loony left fake news presstitutes you despise.

The US has done a terrible job. But state and local governments have stepped up on the face of Trumps pathetic lack of leadership and if the virus is contained well enough to avoid pandemic, it will be despite his efforts, not because of it.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Not ONE Democrat posting in this thread believes any meaningful number of people are infected.

Haha, so if hardly anyone is sick what exactly are you all blaming Orange Man for?

There’s no vaccine, so all this social distancing and quarantines would be happening regardless.....
You really need to get a clue.

Let me help.

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times
Quote:
The claim that the US failed to protect its people is the entire point of the Democrat Coronavirus war on Trump. “Failure to protect” can only mean one possible thing in this case, a massive number were infected before the government took acceptable action.

So Democrats need to get their story straight. Either Trump screwed up and many will be dead or dying within days or the US has taken the necessary steps to limit the spread.

Make up your minds.
Slow your horses down there partner, this event is still unfolding as we speak...the next few weeks are critical in the fight against this virus and how this administration handles it will determine if they did a good job or bad job. The first response was terrible but finally Trump is waking up and taking this seriously. We’ll see how it unfolds.

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We have no way of knowing how many people are sick.

I know multiple people in both Boston and Seattle who could have had contact and are either currently or have recently shown symptoms of the illness. One is currently in the ICU. Even the person in the ICU in arguably the medical capital of the USA wasn't able to be tested immediately because of lack of supplies.

Remember, one or two infected people at the Biogen conference who were not displaying symptoms (and who may never had really had more than a cold) spread it to over 60 people at the conference alone, and now up to 100+ through known spread originating at the conference. It's not a partisan issue to accept that it is already way more widespread than we know. We have the least testing of any nation.
Cool. Then hospitals should be getting many patients who need intensive care by the end of the week, right?

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
I'd rather have the option to buy overpriced products, than to not have the option to buy at all.

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For all the critics m of Bush -- 9/11 wasn't about him -- ever. He never made it about what he and his admin. was doing...it was about all Americans.
"This was all Bill Clinton's fault. By the way, Trump Tower is now the tallest building in Manhattan. A lot of people don't know that."

Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes.

DH has only had to leave to take our dog to the vet (he was showing signs of poison). The vet wanted to shake his hand, and looked at him funny when he declined. When he went this morning to pick up the dog, the office is crammed with people. He decided to wear a mask. They may think he is nuts, but better nuts than sick.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Economists are saying deal with the pandemic first, that is the catalyst to the economic problem. Once that is under control THEN take economic action. They are saying taking economic action first will not help.

At least they get it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies