Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 08:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
By the way: In case you were misled

Google Communications

@Google_Comms

·

Mar 14

“Google is partnering with the US Government in developing a nationwide website that includes information about COVID-19 symptoms, risk and testing information

NOW. It was Google that came out with the Press Release saying they were unfamiliar with what the President was talking about.

Full story here:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/15...-testing-trump

It's pretty SOP for this administration. I know you won't believe it, but you also won't see what Trump described for a long time either. Promises made, excuses made.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2020, 08:37 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
UK is not doing well So glad UK is on the ban list!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6jYyCX2aUs

Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I absolutely think this guy is nuts, and people shouldn't go out.

But... what are the constitutional grounds for forcing businesses to close? Would this survive a lawsuit reaching the Supreme Court?
What is more important? A stupid lawsuit or your life?

Old 03-15-2020, 08:42 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
U.S. is now at level 2 travel advisory.

Gilead's experimental use of it's drug for coronavirus is not looking good due to side effects.

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2...ntal-covi.aspx

Old 03-15-2020, 08:42 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
NOW. It was Google that came out with the Press Release saying they were unfamiliar with what the President was talking about.

Full story here:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/15...-testing-trump

It's pretty SOP for this administration. I know you won't believe it, but you also won't see what Trump described for a long time either. Promises made, excuses made.
Good grief.

It was supposed to be ready by Sunday (today) with information on where to go in your community to get tested.

No website.

No testing sites.

Nothing but a bunch of baloney.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
It's an interesting question though - I suspect the answer can be found under what rights states and federal have when a State of Emergency is declared.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2020, 08:45 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
By the end of this week, I believe US victims will probably surpass even Iran.

I have been reading about profiteers and price gougers here in America. I am surprised there is so little talk about prosecution. The US has become a low-trust society, it would seem, with all the panic that is happening in stores and people fighting over toilet paper.
The dude with 17,700 bottles of sanitizer just donated then.
Still, eff that guy because now he had no other choice. He relied on people struggling and being desperate...

Old 03-15-2020, 08:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Social distancing is a form of quarantine.
I don't want to get into a semantics debate. My question is whether isolating people in their own homes and preventing mixing of people in order to prevent people from getting infected is going to work. Eventually those people will have to leave their homes or the world as we know it will collapse. And when they do, they are vulnerable to getting infected again. It seems to put off the inevitable.

I don't know the details behind social distancing, but it seems predicated on the notion that many people are going to get infected whatever we do, so rather than trying to stop that, let's control it so it does not overwhelm the system. We throttle it by letting people mix in a way that essentially limits R0 to just over unity.

The proposal in California seems more like the first paragraph, not the second. Correct me if I am wrong.

The second part of this is flattening the curve has no quick endpoint. Basically you have to keep it flat as long as the pool of uninfected people remains large, perhaps at least 20% of the population. So what is the end game with flattening the curve? We keep at it for a year or two? Then presumably we have immunity or we have a vaccine? In any event, flattening does not prevent deaths, it only slows them down. The total will still be very high.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 PM

2,000 posts, read 760,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
There is not enough good data to reach this conclusion. Please stop spreading fear and panic, thanks.
Agreed. Just looking at the numbers from Washington state where we know the virus has been since mid January, it’s spread, but not like wildfire, and that was before there was awareness and actions taken.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:49 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
OK so it may or may not be a conspiracy theory for people to react to this virus as the government is teling you. (no restaurants, no movies, etc) but i'd rather be safe and just listen to them. this virus seems to be super contagious and happens in crowds rather than when you stay away from everyone.. it will be weird to have your freedom curtailed and the city looking like a deserted ghost town, but it's only maybe for a month or two at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies