Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Being forced to sit on your couch and limit social interaction for 2-3 months is not the same as installing a dictatorship, but I do think that "maybe" it is a little bit selfish of you to be so flippant in condemning 3 million other people to death to quell your fears.
Ah yes, just a brief 3 month totalitarian state, everything will be fine after that.....

Which is exactly how you install a permanent dictatorship.

Also, I'm not condemning anyone to anything. If the result of one's life choices is for them to get a virus and die, that's what is going to happen. I'm not saying people have to be irresponsible, or even encouraging it. I'm merely speaking out against authoritarianism. Dictatorships are almost always formed out of cowardice and they are formed with the best of intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I am not a boomer either, I was born in 1985 and I consider myself a swimmer, so my lung capacity is pretty good, I suppose.

This is not about losing freedom, this is about common sense.

Maybe because I have two uncles who are doctors: one ER, one doctor without border. Both have crazy personalities, I think people need to take this very seriously!

if we all practice social distancing, then we will never need a martial law.

Some people don't even close their damn mouth when they cough, this is not the time to rely on other people' better angels in their nature. We all have to protect ourselves, so we won't need a martial law.
Not giving up your freedom and common sense are not necessarily at odds with one another.

We don't need martial law no matter what happens. This virus, while serious, is not that kind of threat. If the mortality rate was more like 50%, then we'd have a different conversation.

Even if we were to lose 10% of the population, which is beyond the worst case scenario for this, the country would bounce back thus no valid reason for martial law. This current pandemic is closer to the common flu when it comes to the mortality rate than to the Spanish Flu. Furthermore, it targets primarily the least valuable and necessary members of society....now that sounds harsh, but it's factually accurate. There could be a case to be made for drastic measures in response to a pandemic, but this current virus simply isn't it.

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
We should probably consider not changing leaders during this crisis.
This argument backfired on us huge with George W Bush....

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Good news, what we have right now in no way qualifies as a leader.
A speed bump complains that things aren't going his way.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
well, I am not a boomer either, I was born in 1985 and I consider myself a swimmer, so my lung capacity is pretty good, I suppose.

You are saying troops need to be used to enforce common sense? Whose definition of common sense is going to be enforced, Trump's?

Quote:
Some people don't even cover their damn mouth when they cough, this is not the time to rely on other people' better angels in their nature. We all have to protect ourselves, so we won't need a martial law.
Troops are going to make everyone cover their mouth when coughing?

So how is this going to work - if a crowd forms they will be arrested for violating martial law, and put in jails which are the new Petri dishes for CV, so you have just exposed people to it rather than preventing it.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Dr. Fauci: "The worst is yet to come."

Yikes.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:

Maybe because I have two uncles who are doctors: one ER, one doctor without border. Both have crazy personalities, I think people need to take this very seriously! I am telling you, neither is afraid to die.

if we all practice social distancing, then we will never need a martial law.

Some people don't even cover their damn mouth when they cough, this is not the time to rely on other people' better angels in their nature. We all have to protect ourselves, so we won't need a martial law.
Oh, but it is about losing freedom. We have way too many laws and rules now because someone said they were "common sense" when they are nothing of the sort. An example? TSA. So many cheered for it because it was "common sense". How about now?

We don't need martial law. People are putting the cart way, way ahead of the horse right now, and all it's doing is making people panic even more.

There is a lot of percentages being thrown around, but what people are not throwing around is the facts:

How old was the person?

Was it a mild case?

What kind of health issues did the person have before getting the virus?

Were they elderly, obese, a smoker, immune compromised, already had damaged lungs from a previous stint with pneumonia or asbestos or something else?

Throwing out all of these numbers to shock people isn't doing anyone any good unless the facts of each case is also presented. Without the full story, we get people coming up with things like 'maybe we should declare martial law'.

I'm not meaning to target you, individually, I'm merely using your post mentioning it as an example. There's plenty more to use - people assuming that millions upon millions will die horrible deaths in this country, for example.

Death rate being thrown around, but never the full story. And never throwing out the percentage of how many in the country as a whole - don't see that, either.

Post after post after post about "omg, 100 more cases..." Yeah, because people are getting tested. But, again, it doesn't answer the full story.

It was yesterday or the day before that someone wrote that half of the deaths in this country were from a nursing home in WA state. Kind of puts things into perspective when you get the rest of the story, doesn't it.

If you're older (general 'you', I know you are not old, lilly flower), or you suffer from some kind of health problem already, then sure, you definitely need to be careful. The majority, however, need to stop freaking out, and for the 50th time, practice good hygiene - be aware of how you're picking up germs instead of going through life an auto. As I said just now in another post, leave the area when some moron is spewing spit and snot in the air because they are too stupid and selfish to cover their mouth and nose - and tell them off - why are people quiet about that type of thing? It's your health they threaten, not just with this virus, with anything. I actually had one lady tell me it was okay, she didn't "have AIDS or anything". JC, people, start speaking up around those types of losers. Not just now, anytime.

No, we do not need martial law. We don't even need to be talking about it. What we need to do is calm down, think rationally, and stop thinking that this is the end of the world. It's not.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:32 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You are saying troops need to be used to enforce common sense? Whose definition of common sense is going to be enforced, Trump's?

Troops are going to make everyone cover their mouth when coughing?

So how is this going to work - if a crowd forms they will be arrested for violating martial law, and put in jails which are the new Petri dishes for CV, so you have just exposed people to it rather than preventing it.
well, regardless what works and or what doesn't work.

Let's hope we don't end up like Italy.

I am done arguing.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh, but it is about losing freedom. We have way too many laws and rules now because someone said they were "common sense" when they are nothing of the sort. An example? TSA. So many cheered for it because it was "common sense". How about now?

We don't need martial law. People are putting the cart way, way ahead of the horse right now, and all it's doing is making people panic even more.

There is a lot of percentages being thrown around, but what people are not throwing around is the facts:

How old was the person?

Was it a mild case?

What kind of health issues did the person have before getting the virus?

Were they elderly, obese, a smoker, immune compromised, already had damaged lungs from a previous stint with pneumonia or asbestos or something else?

Throwing out all of these numbers to shock people isn't doing anyone any good unless the facts of each case is also presented. Without the full story, we get people coming up with things like 'maybe we should declare martial law'.

I'm not meaning to target you, individually, I'm merely using your post mentioning it as an example. There's plenty more to use - people assuming that millions upon millions will die horrible deaths in this country, for example.

Death rate being thrown around, but never the full story. And never throwing out the percentage of how many in the country as a whole - don't see that, either.

Post after post after post about "omg, 100 more cases..." Yeah, because people are getting tested. But, again, it doesn't answer the full story.

It was yesterday or the day before that someone wrote that half of the deaths in this country were from a nursing home in WA state. Kind of puts things into perspective when you get the rest of the story, doesn't it.

If you're older (general 'you', I know you are not old, lilly flower), or you suffer from some kind of health problem already, then sure, you definitely need to be careful. The majority, however, need to stop freaking out, and for the 50th time, practice good hygiene - be aware of how you're picking up germs instead of going through life an auto. As I said just now in another post, leave the area when some moron is spewing spit and snot in the air because they are too stupid and selfish to cover their mouth and nose - and tell them off - why are people quiet about that type of thing? It's your health they threaten, not just with this virus, with anything. I actually had one lady tell me it was okay, she didn't "have AIDS or anything". JC, people, start speaking up around those types of losers. Not just now, anytime.

No, we do not need martial law. We don't even need to be talking about it. What we need to do is calm down, think rationally, and stop thinking that this is the end of the world. It's not
well, like I said to the other poster:

Let's hope we don't end up like Italy.

That is all I care about.

It is not about millions and millions will die either, matter of fact, I tend to believe the fatality rate is much lower than what is reported.
This is NOT the issue,

the issue is

This thing will challenge our medicare system and let's hope we don't get sick in the next 6 - 12 months

In some countries, nurses and doctors quit their jobs because they don't have enough protective gear.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:33 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Although I DO agree with the following article that in so many words calls Trump an absolutely incompetent moron and says (or at least strongly implies) that Trump should just SHUT UP, I don't think I have ever read such a biased and anti-POTUS tirade from a major new source!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/polit...ics/index.html

Here is an excerpt (my italics): The President, as is his custom, managed to make the story of coronavirus all about him this weekend. A White House reversal led him to get tested for the disease after interacting with several people last weekend who have since been diagnosed with COVID-19. Happily, the President, who shook hands with top CEOs at a press conference on Friday in contravention of his own government's advice, tested negative for the novel coronavirus, according to the White House.

While Trump's response has been marked by chaos and confusion -- The Washington Post on Sunday reported internal power games raging in the White House over the virus -- true leaders have been emerging all over the country. Governors, mayors and local officials have been making timely, high-stakes decisions and providing accurate information that sometimes surpasses that dispensed in White House briefings, which remain filled with self-congratulation and fawning praise for the President.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Although I DO agree with the following article that in so many words calls Trump an absolutely incompetent moron and says (or at least strongly implies) that Trump should just SHUT UP, I don't think I have ever read such a biased and anti-POTUS tirade from a major new source!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/polit...ics/index.html

Here is an excerpt (my italics): The President, as is his custom, managed to make the story of coronavirus all about him this weekend. A White House reversal led him to get tested for the disease after interacting with several people last weekend who have since been diagnosed with COVID-19. Happily, the President, who shook hands with top CEOs at a press conference on Friday in contravention of his own government's advice, tested negative for the novel coronavirus, according to the White House.

While Trump's response has been marked by chaos and confusion -- The Washington Post on Sunday reported internal power games raging in the White House over the virus -- true leaders have been emerging all over the country. Governors, mayors and local officials have been making timely, high-stakes decisions and providing accurate information that sometimes surpasses that dispensed in White House briefings, which remain filled with self-congratulation and fawning praise for the President.
In my county, we went from 1 case to 17 cases in about 5 weeks, I don't really worry much because we can pretty much trace each and every case. We don't have community transmission, yet.

My uncle said having 1 or 100 cases doesn't really make any differences as long as you can trace each and every case. community transmission is the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies