Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are Federal Guidelines. Dr Birx from the Task Force has made clear these should be viewed as Rules.
Some Governors have stepped up. Others, not so much. While restaurants and bars in my state are closed to all but carry out curb service, I can be in Wisconsin in 20 minutes wining, dining, dancing and gaming, ignoring Federal guidelines/ rules. No uniformity. Makes no sense. ( I am not going anywhere)

Conversely, today is the Illinois Primary. Turnout will be low unless there is a pressing local referendum. Even then...

Florida, with the largest concentration of older people, is moving ahead with their primary, too. Same deal in Arizona.

If not today, then when?
FWIW, Arizona mostly votes by mail and at least 80% of the ballots are already mailed in. The procrastinators only have to drop them at collection centers. The primary is for president only which everyone knows Biden is going to win. There is no Republican primary, so the old folks are not going to be out there. There are no local elections/referendums on the ballot. Polling places will have a whole lot fewer people than Costco lines for TP.

As for the rules. The rules for closing everything apply when there is evidence of community spread. AZ does not have that yet, though that may be a function more of no testing than reality.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, I wouldnt order take out or go thru a drive thru, but what really got me, people were complaining about how they were going to pay their bills, when they know full well what is going on globally!

Back in the days of WW2, LOTS of people rationed the use of certain materials, so they could be used for the war effort, they didnt whine or complain or ask how they are going to get by without those things, they just did without and got by, and they were happy to help, if the public was asked to ration materials today for ANYTHING, most likely they would be offended they even being asked to do so.
I went to 3 different "grocery" stores yesterday. I didn't see any hoarding behavior, just the aftermath. I did see 1 cart with napkins, so I assume the store had those. Didn't bother there (Costco) going to the way back to see if they had TP, but I assume not.

Gone/practically 0 at all 3: bread, milk, eggs, TP, pasta.

I've no doubt that, say 20%, panic themselves and another 20% panic because they see others panic. But I still see no evidence that a MAJORITY of people are exhibiting panic behavior.

It is good to see all the people on social media "If I can help, let me know".

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
The real tragedy is that Americans won't learn anything from this experience. I don't expect any meaningful reforms or additional public health funding in the wake of this. Eventually, the crisis will subside, and people will go back to Outback Steakhouse and baseball games and forget this ever happened. Much the same way the financial crisis of 2009 is all but a distant memory.

COVID-19 is merely a shot across the bow. Scientists--yes, those evil eggheaded scientists that don't live in the REAL America--have already told us that infectious diseases will RISE with global warming. We're also going to see more infectious diseases as agriculture continues to eliminate wildlife habitat. So even if we make it through this episode okay, it won't be the last, and we might not be okay on the next go round.

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
There has got to be something else going on that we are not being told. We didn't freak out during the west nile virus, SARS, bird flu, ecoli, swine flue, cholera, ebola, zika virus, or nipah virus. But for some reason, all hell has broken loose over this corona virus, despite the fact that only 80 Americans have died. Its not much worse than the common flu, but the media has caused us to shut down society, hoard everything from the grocery stores, barricade ourselves in our homes, and start preparing for the apocalypse. Something is not adding up here. What is really going on that we aren't be told? There is no way that the corona virus can be responsible for all of this chaos. I would like to hear everyone's honest opinions, about what the REAL reasons could be, for why all of this is happening. Is it something political? Or maybe something even bigger that we aren't being told?
I absolutely agree with you. I think someone or something is behind this that is trying to bring our economy to it's knees and put fear in the American people. I don't see this virus as anything more serious than past ones.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Cuomo/ NY is making clear the buck stops on his desk and he assumes full responsibility for closures, taking the heat off local governments.

Love him or hate him, he has been a consistent communicator without sugar coating it. He understands it made no sense for a mostly private healthcare system in the US to stockpile equipment or maintain back up ICU facilities, just in case. It’s the same story everywhere.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:38 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
There is a price to be paid for every behavior. Don't want to take a brief time out....like a few weeks or a couple of months?

Fine, go forth, infect yourself, infect your family. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:38 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, it is largely political to get rid of Trump. We've had Flu viruses before, and nothing like this total over reaction.
Good lord you people are delusional

Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Cuomo/ NY is making clear the buck stops on his desk and he assumes full responsibility for closures, taking the heat off local governments.

Love him or hate him, he has been a consistent communicator without sugar coating it. He understands it made no sense for a mostly private healthcare system in the US to stockpile equipment or maintain back up ICU facilities, just in case. It’s the same story everywhere.
People love an authoritarian strongman in times of crisis.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Has anyone noticed that that MSM has started to use the words "food rationing" ?

Way to start a total supermarket panic.
I think the government official during an interview recommended everyone think along the lines of a 3 month supply at home. That will also clear a lot of shelves. I admit I have some tuna fish and oatmeal. But certainly not a 3 month supply of it.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:41 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Why aren't most Americans being ordered to stay home at this point?

There is evidence that the coronavirus can remain on surfaces for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies