Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times

Advertisements

South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster is holding a presser at 4 and is expected to announce the closing of all bars and restaurants. It's times like these when we really need more guidance from DC. I felt like McMaster should have done this over the weekend, but like other states, South Carolina has a lot of tourists and I suspect he did not want to upset them

Old 03-17-2020, 01:26 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Here's an interesting article listing some of the different endangered species that China have been eating:

https://www.chinadialogue.net/articl...-to-extinction-

Old 03-17-2020, 01:28 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Given that COVID-19 originated in China, I am curious how the coronavirus got from China to Germany to Italy. Were most of the people from Germany who spread the coronavirus to Italy Chinese tourists?

I wonder why it's so hard to come by this kind of information.
The information that they know has been published. People of every country have spread it around. I don't remember any of the details, because I don't really care if it was a German who returned from vacation in Italy that was Germany's first case.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2020, 01:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
There is a big difference between eating farm raised meats and bush meat. Also, yes! there are some animals that are not meant/designed for human consumption. Bats for example. Now maybe 2000 years ago someone had a hankering for bat meat. They ate it and Blam!! their DNA was eliminated from the gene pool. Problem solved, for at least a while. Back then population was very thin and these such individuals were far and few in between, so basically self quarantined by nature rather then by choice. Fast forward 2000 years and we get a bunch of Chinese who believe eating bats will give them some type of super healing and/or mating powers, perhaps precisely determined by the specific consumer and the deficiency they possess. And this time around, we have very dense population, allowing this virus to spread.
I don't get that. Who says what animal is meant for human consumption?!

Also, in the case of corona, scientists think it was not transmitted from bats to humans, but via another intermediary animal.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
with nothing to complain about with the way the President is handling the pandemic, Dems return to the

Orange Man Bad mantra. Chant on!
Nope -- some legitimate criticism expressed. The whole test issue alone is negligent.

Then we add his clear concern for how this all looked on him initially and how myopic his approach to handling the problem was.

Yes a travel restriction was a good idea but in conjunction with multiple other strategies taking into consideration that while we just found out about the virus -- it probably was circulating long before we noticed it.

His call for unity as he attacks only Democrat leaders. Some of those red states aren't doing anybody at containing. Now is not the time for public shaming for political gain (and yes Schumer was WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG to tweet about the travel restriction being racists -- I won't argue with anybody on that.)

A lack of cohesive messaging from the federal govt and health officials.

All those are legitimate concerns.

And like every other President at a time of crisis every action is cscrutinized, analyzed and lots of criticism piled on.

It's always been that way. Wasn't created just for Trump.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Norway, Denmark, Sweden have such low mortality rates, I wonder why that is. Maybe the virus doesn't like colder temps?
you need to read WHO website myth buster page
Denmark had their first case on 2/27. They are just joining the fray.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters

Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirus.

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Given that COVID-19 originated in China, I am curious how the coronavirus got from China to Germany to Italy. Were most of the people from Germany who spread the coronavirus to Italy Chinese tourists?

I wonder why it's so hard to come by this kind of information.
There is a German automotive company near Munich, which has operations in China and thus Chinese people traveling to Bavaria and Germans to China.
If I remember correctly those were the first cases in Germany.

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
With the White House supporting it, any senators not getting behind this are looking at losing their seats too...
Now they want an income limit on it.

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
His focus on meeting with business people -- only large corporation -- the people he thinks he can relate to.

Small business owners left out of the loop.

Thank goodness Mnuchin is working with Congress and the Senate and he has Trump's ear.

And I can't stand Mnuchin....lol.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The information that they know has been published. People of every country have spread it around.
I want to know how COVID-19 spread from China (where all of it originated) to other countries all over the world.

Mysteriously, there is a lack of information about this for God knows what reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies