Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
They cant even test half the damn doctors so I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well they are testing now. It seems cases are everywhere and exploding in number. We really blew this and are going to pay a steep price.
So, damned if you do or damned if you don't. DAMN, it must be great to be an anti trumper.....

Old 03-17-2020, 05:10 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A few people in Japan are testing positive twice in separate instances of Corona. One is in his 70’s. The other 40’s.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/diamon...a-second-time/
yeah, I read this a while ago,

another article says that

"First, scientists need to confirm whether the test results were indeed accurate. Remember, no test is perfect. If people can screw up a drink order, they can certainly mess up a medical test. Even if a test is performed properly, you could still get a positive result when you don’t actually have an infection. On the flip side, just because you test negative doesn’t necessarily mean that there is no way that you are carrying the virus. That’s why a doctor may test you multiple times to be sure of a result.

Secondly, doctors and other scientists need to double-check or triple-check that each of these patients actually got re-infected with the virus rather than had an infection that simply lasted a long time. What if, for example, the cruise passenger and the tour bus guide each had fairly long infections and just happened to have intervening false negative test

Third of all, the amount of immunity that you build up after being exposed to any virus depends on not only virus itself but surprise, surprise your immune system and its response. When your immune system sees a particular virus for the first time, it can essentially get caught with its pants down, not ready to defend your body against this new invader. However, exposure to the virus either through a vaccine or getting infected may train your immune system so that, borrowing the words of former President George W. Bush, “fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” If strong enough, your immune system then may be ready with proper defenses next time the virus comes calling. Could the cases of reinfection then be examples of people who happened to have weaker immune systems?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#398f81ef5c0f

eventually, what truly will protect you is your strong immune system. So far, test positive just means you have coronavirus in your body, doesn't mean you are a patient of covid-19. It certainly doesn't mean that you need to be hospitalized. Like Tom Hanks might be tested positive, he can easily manage his symptoms at home.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:13 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Soon people from all over the world will apply for a visa to North Korea, which doesn't seem to have a single case, yet, thanks to its isolation.
Hah!

Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My 85 year old MIL with a pacemaker is totally upset they closed the clubhouse and they will be closing the gym she goes to. I had no words other than to tell her that she is in the high risk group that will mostly likely die if they catch it.
Once you hit 85+ and are still breathing, you think every day is just a gift.

They don't get it.

I love it. Makes me smile

Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And just like that 2 added to our county -- we are up to 3.

No mention of where the 2 came from. It's important -- if it was community spread or travel. It means something wish they would tell us.
I think what is more important is how close do they live or work to you? Did they shop in the same stores as you.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:16 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah, I read this a while ago,

another article says that

"First, scientists need to confirm whether the test results were indeed accurate. Remember, no test is perfect. If people can screw up a drink order, they can certainly mess up a medical test. Even if a test is performed properly, you could still get a positive result when you don’t actually have an infection. On the flip side, just because you test negative doesn’t necessarily mean that there is no way that you are carrying the virus. That’s why a doctor may test you multiple times to be sure of a result.

Secondly, doctors and other scientists need to double-check or triple-check that each of these patients actually got re-infected with the virus rather than had an infection that simply lasted a long time. What if, for example, the cruise passenger and the tour bus guide each had fairly long infections and just happened to have intervening false negative test

Third of all, the amount of immunity that you build up after being exposed to any virus depends on not only virus itself but surprise, surprise your immune system and its response. When your immune system sees a particular virus for the first time, it can essentially get caught with its pants down, not ready to defend your body against this new invader. However, exposure to the virus either through a vaccine or getting infected may train your immune system so that, borrowing the words of former President George W. Bush, “fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” If strong enough, your immune system then may be ready with proper defenses next time the virus comes calling. Could the cases of reinfection then be examples of people who happened to have weaker immune systems?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#398f81ef5c0f

eventually, what truly will protect you is your strong immune system. So far, test positive just means you have coronavirus in your body, doesn't mean you are a patient of covid-19. It certainly doesn't mean that you need to be hospitalized. Like Tom Hanks might be tested positive, he can easily manage his symptoms at home.
Both Hanks and his wife were hospitalized in Australia.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, damned if you do or damned if you don't. DAMN, it must be great to be an anti trumper.....
So, after months of forewarning, our infrastructure finally caught up enough to be able to begin testing our healthcare professionals.

So what do you want us to give Trump, a participation trophy? I thought those were for snowflakes?

Old 03-17-2020, 05:17 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
SARS didn't disappear. It was contained. Like we're trying to do with Covid-19.
MERS didn't disappear. It is barely contagious among people, but still exists in bats and camels.
SARS CoV 1 underwent a mutation that made it less fit: harder to replicate. It died out and now only exists in labs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Our President is so smart. Have these "scientists" even considered giving the flu vaccination to people infected by COVID-19, as our President suggested?
The value of the flu vaccine is that it reduces the number of people being hospitalized with flu and eases the strain on our hospitals. Flu vaccine will not prevent COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But a logical and empirically-grounded decision. My research indicates that the initial reports on CV were that American citizens were immune to it. So if you allowed Americans who had traveled to China back into the country, there was basically nothing to worry about since they were a zero-risk.

That's one thing I love about this administration. It's always evidence and empiricism that's driving all decisions rather than junk science.
Please cite your sources. No one with any expertise has ever said Americans were immune to COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All countries did Moneill because in the past they did disappear..SARS, MERS and Ebola.
It was a short lived scare.
Quote:
They have never disappeared. They still exist. We have mitigated their spread with vaccines, treatment.
SARS disappeared; MERS and Ebola have not. The reservoir for MERS is camels; that for Ebola is still uncertain.

Quote:
At least one good news, it seems that infected pregnant women don't give corona to their babies. I am sure a lot of pregnant women are worried about that.
There is a report of one infected newborn so far. It is unknown whether the infection happened before birth or after; mom was infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The hospitals and morgues better be overflowing otherwise the people who created this panic and hysteria will have a lot to answer for.

I hope the government authorizes private causes of action against anyone who intentionally worsened the panic, including internet posters and social media users. They need to pay a price for what will be shown to be obviously reckless conduct.
If the hospitals and morgues are not overflowing that will be proof that efforts to mitigate spread of the virus were successful.

Quote:
Where's that poster that said he didn't know anybody that had any connection to someone....here you go.

Two weeks of quarantine not social distancing.

That's a big deal.

And that's why if we had more tests we could test her and be done -- yes or no.

Somehow they tested all those basketball players in no time.

Welcome to the USA.
A negative test does not rule out infection. It is not "one and done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also, this whole ventilator business is overrated.

The truth is that once you are on ventilator, well, you are pretty much done anyway. Sure, there are people "saved", but how many?

It is better that you don't get it in the first place.
If being on a ventilator did not save lives no one would be placed on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I want to know how COVID-19 spread from China (where all of it originated) to other countries all over the world.

Mysteriously, there is a lack of information about this for God knows what reason.
There is no lack of information. A massive amount has been included in threads here on CD.

Quote:
Maybe it was engineered after all. There are several military labs that are working with SARS and such nasty organisms, turning them into ever nastier bio-warfare agents.

I think those people responsible for those programs should be executed, be it in the US, China, wherever.

Of course viruses as such are utterly stupid, they don't think or want to spread. I wonder what the purpose of those stupid organisms is Maybe an evolutionary agent?
I really do not think that anyone trying to engineer a bioweapon would choose one for which there is no way to protect his own personnel. I recently read a novel where the agent was a weaponized anthrax, treatable with an antibiotic, for example.

It is better to disable an enemy than to kill him, because then your opponent has to expend resources taking care of the sick.

Did you know that a significant percentage of human DNA is derived from ancient viruses?

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/on-b...iable-thought/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What I think he is asking:

Coronavirus leads you to pneumonia

If you have the pneumonia vaccine, will that help prevent the incidence of getting pneumonia if you catch coronavirus

I believe the answer was no, and I think it was Suzy who addressed it, but I do not remember the specifics.

But don't quote me on any of it.

The thing is that COVID-19 causes a severe viral pneumonia. The pneumococcal vaccine cannot prevent that. It can prevent some, not all, of the bacterial infections that set up in lungs damaged by viruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
There are 8 million dead Aztecs that say that is baloney
Google it

Genetics says Yersinia pestis originated in China.

The Aztecs? Probably Salmonella:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...led-the-aztecs

Old 03-17-2020, 05:19 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Trump got it wrong and now he has it right.
That seems to drive some people over the edge. Evidently it irritates them when someone admits their mistake - even if they do it days later.

Trump and team is doing well.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:20 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Both Hanks and his wife were hospitalized in Australia.
Oh okay, didn't know what. Then he is a bad example then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies