Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 08:21 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The Administration appointed Robert Redfield head of the CDC in March 2018. This at the time:

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest released a statement urging the administration against naming him to the post, claiming a lack of experience in leading a public health agency, a history of scientific misconduct and support for HIV/AIDS policies that are opposed by most public health experts."

"What one wants in a director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a scientist of impeccable scientific integrity. What one would get in Robert Redfield is a sloppy scientist with a long history of scientific misconduct and an extreme religious agenda," Peter Lurie, the center's director and president, said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/healt...-bn/index.html

Trump surrounds himself with incompetents. And he is the worst. Why that was not obvious to anyone with common sense is beyond me. We are now paying the price.
Trump and Trump supporters appear to have a near universal contempt for and lack of understanding of the value of institutional knowledge. They think institutional knowledge is "the deep state".

Old 03-12-2020, 08:30 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The Administration appointed Robert Redfield head of the CDC in March 2018. This at the time:

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest released a statement urging the administration against naming him to the post, claiming a lack of experience in leading a public health agency, a history of scientific misconduct and support for HIV/AIDS policies that are opposed by most public health experts."

"What one wants in a director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a scientist of impeccable scientific integrity. What one would get in Robert Redfield is a sloppy scientist with a long history of scientific misconduct and an extreme religious agenda," Peter Lurie, the center's director and president, said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/healt...-bn/index.html

Trump surrounds himself with incompetents. And he is the worst. Why that was not obvious to anyone with common sense is beyond me. We are now paying the price.
Nice try. CNN with a clear agenda, this man is qualified.

Before joining CDC, he was a tenured professor of medicine and microbiology at University of Maryland, Baltimore, chief of infectious disease, vice chair of medicine and a co-founder and associate director of the Institute of Human Virology (IHV) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.[4] Dr. Redfield is known for his pioneering contributions in clinical research, and in particular for his extensive research into the virology and therapeutic treatments of HIV infection and AIDS.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:30 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Trump said again today that the testing was going smoothly. Either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he is outright lying. I usually assume the latter but this time I'm not sure. He had a "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes. He doesn't look well at all.

I feel like there is no leadership at the top; no one steering the ship. Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the Republicans are wasting valuable time trying to insert abortion language into an emergency bill, and in the meantime we are quickly losing our window of opportunity to flatten the curve and keep this manageable. If we don't act soon, we are going to end up like Italy.

And still no real testing to speak of...
Correct. Even people exhibiting symptoms are being denied testing at this point unless they have confirmed exposure to the virus. This is third-world stuff

Old 03-12-2020, 08:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/sta...87390684459010

Old 03-12-2020, 08:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Default Trump says he's 'not concerned' that Brazilian official he met with tested positive for coronavirus

'We'll find out what happens,' Trump said of the Brazilian official's status.

President Donald Trump on Thursday did not respond to multiple shouted questions in the Oval Office about whether he would get tested for coronavirus after reports a Brazilian official he met last weekend had tested positive.

But he did say he is "not concerned" as he awaits an update on the test results from Brazil concerning a press aide to Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro who who attended a dinner with Trump at his Florida resort.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=69558063

I didn’t read all the posts to see if anyone else saw this. I might of missed this. Not that he’ll tell anyone if he does have it.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Canadian PM's wife now positive

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sophie-gr...160504450.html

Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I blame the messaging from the White House for convincing my 86 yo mother to commit what I consider to be an act of lunacy.

Today she boarded a 4 hour flight across the US when the alternative was to take a ride in a private car driven my brother.

She said she would be fine and all of this is over blown.
Yep. Some of my older relatives are also putting themselves in harm's way (not avoiding crowded places, for instance) because "this is just like any other flu". They hear it from Trump, Fox News, conservative talk radio.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
Why this is not a "hoax"

If nothing were done, and we assume that each infected person infects one other person, this would be the projection over 4 weeks.

Infected People Day 1, 1

Infected People Day 2, 2

Infected People Day 3, 4

Infected People Day 4, 8
Infected People Day 28, 134,217,728

Infected People Day 28, 268,435,456

The following are 4 death rates I have seen discussed.

Death Rate 1.00% 2,684,355 Deaths

Death Rate 2.00% 5,368,709 Deaths

Death Rate 3.00% 8,053,064 Deaths

Death Rate 3.40% 9,126,806 Deaths

Things are being done. These will not be the actual numbers from this outbreak. It is just a simple arithmetical thought experiment, showing why this is no hoax.

in the end, it's just another flu with mild symptoms for most people.

big whoop.

The people who die by covid would have died by the common flu as well.

let everyone have it. We'll have some immunity afterwards.

There's no need to put people out of business and wreck the world economy over this

Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
in the end, it's just another flu with mild symptoms for most people.

big whoop.

The people who die by covid would have died by the common flu as well.

let everyone have it. We'll have some immunity afterwards.

There's no need to put people out of business and wreck the world economy over this

What? Uh.... then wouldn't they be dead already? We are leaving flu season now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some cultures understand better than others that eating animals that are not meant for human consumption can lead to problems far and wide.
My uncle was a marine and served in Korea. He said the NK soldiers almost all had parasites like tapeworms. Yummy....from what they ate. Blech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies