Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Many other states have not taken the strong measures of NY & NJ, they may have less density but they are just as susceptible. I sincerely doubt that limiting those from NY passes as a solution particularly Florida which was late stepping up to the plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have you gone to the NY boards and clicked on the NYC corona virus thread - no because you don't want to know the truth- you'd rather make things up or rinse and repeat things said on the liberal media sites.

If people came into these discussions evaluating both sides of the situation and then forming their own opinion - I could respect that - but for those that don't I just feel sorry for you putting blinders on and not being able to think for yourselves.
New Yorker for 30 years, in NJ for 4. New Jersey was/is ahead of New York in dealing with this virus, yet you don't see Governor Murphy clamoring for the spotlight the way Cuomo is. Cuomo waited too long to close the schools, waited too long to close the restaurants and bars, and for too long was only interested in blaming Trump for everything. Cuomo is an ass. He's every bit as egotistical as his NY counterpart Trump, he's just a better speaker.

I wasn't too happy that we ended up with Murphy for governor, but I'm sure glad we've got him instead of Cuomo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 10:24 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I have been watching the daily briefings by NY Governor Andrew Cuomo. They have been extremely helpful in this crisis. The scope of the virus and the obstacles to combating it have been presented to the public in a straight forward no nonsense truthful manner. Cuomo has full command of the facts and delivers them while also offering hope. He has been the leader that was needed in this time of crisis.
I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is, and am not going to read through all the pages to see if this is genuine appreciation, or an effort to bolster him politically.

That said, many governors including Cuomo, are doing as well as they can, being on the front lines of dealing with their citizens needing resources.
That is why I was surprised at critics who didn't like the fact VP Pence was put in charge of the task force, since he himself was a former governor.
I suspect it was more of a partisan attack, rather than based on substance.

Cuomo will face what is arguably the largest outbreak in America for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is how people are packed in like sardines in places like NYC.
Heck just the other day he was critical of people he saw at some fair/expo walking around in large numbers as if there was not a pandemic going on. He correctly criticized them as individuals, and apparently got on local officials that would allow such a gathering to occur.

I have also seen good leadership from governors in places like FL, TX and the like.
Interesting enough DeSantis of FL said he did not want people from NY/NJ coming into the state without self quarantining, since those states are at the epicenters of the current outbreak. FL has a huge amount of people from those areas either regularly vacationing or having 2nd residences there, so it is a prudent move.

With all 50 governors working hard to help their citizens, many will be thankful for their efforts. I just hope Cuomo will not face what might be the equivalent of what happened in northern Italy. If anyplace needs to isolate it's citizens, it is places like NYC where people are practically on top of each other. As he said, the improving weather does not mean it is time to have a picnic and gather in groups that will only help to spread the virus.

`

Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
New Yorker for 30 years, in NJ for 4. New Jersey was/is ahead of New York in dealing with this virus, yet you don't see Governor Murphy clamoring for the spotlight the way Cuomo is. Cuomo waited too long to close the schools, waited too long to close the restaurants and bars, and for too long was only interested in blaming Trump for everything. Cuomo is an ass. He's every bit as egotistical as his NY counterpart Trump, he's just a better speaker.

I wasn't too happy that we ended up with Murphy for governor, but I'm sure glad we've got him instead of Cuomo.
I don't know much about Murphy, but closing gun stores as non-essential, yet allowing liquor and pot stores to remain open seems crazy to me.

What did you think of Christie when he was governor?
I ask because a few of my relatives (some Democrats) liked him.

`

Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Yes, thanks Governor Cuomo for failing miserably to prepare for the crisis.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
He is a stupid, partisan hack, but leftists are applauding him because he sounds soothing I guess Chris Matthews must be getting another tingle going up his leg about now

Cuomo would get higher marks from me if he actually took drastic steps to include mobilizing the national guard to build makeshift hospitals at the Javits Center and elsewhere, closing down NYC public schools sooner, and closing down things in NYC sooner. He sat on his hands and now wants to blame President Trump?
Have you noticed that the democratic states have reacted the fastest on taking this seriously. They need help form the federal government though. Cuomo is a leader where Trump is not. He's like a deer in the headlights. Our states our on their own with the pandemic because Trump has no idea what to do. And now Trump is tired of all this and wants everyone to get back to normal by Easter. God help us.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Have you noticed that the democratic states have reacted the fastest on taking this seriously. They need help form the federal government though. Cuomo is a leader where Trump is not. He's like a deer in the headlights. Our states our on their own with the pandemic because Trump has no idea what to do. And now Trump is tired of all this and wants everyone to get back to normal by Easter. God help us.
Saint Cuomo was told he needed to buy 700 ventilators in 2015 and refused. This recommendation was made specifically to address the chance of a pandemic.

Cuomo failed miserably and he's trying to cover his rear end by trying to put his negligence on Trump. Ignorant people believe him. That's no surprise, he's been elected by ignorant people multiple times.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:51 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Cuomo has showed what a real leader looks like.

I live half a mile from the original containment zone in Westchester. He reacted with lightning speed and saved thousands of lives because of it. We've been on lockdown for weeks now.
Every single one of us will be eternally grateful for his swift action and in mobilizing beds and masks and equipment to get ahead of this thing. He has been phenomenal.

Hero worship is to be expected when problems have no apparent solutions.

You need a superhero, so Cuomo can do no wrong.

A superhero needs a nemesis, so Trump can do nothing right.

The fact that you need a containment zone should have been your first clue.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Saint Cuomo was told he needed to buy 700 ventilators in 2015 and refused. This recommendation was made specifically to address the chance of a pandemic.

Cuomo failed miserably and he's trying to cover his rear end by trying to put his negligence on Trump. Ignorant people believe him. That's no surprise, he's been elected by ignorant people multiple times.
Do you want me to post what Trump has said and done by not taking this seriously from day one. He dismantled NSC pandemic units. The Obama administration briefed Trump on a possible pandemic.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:10 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

Link please and do you realize that they are anticipating needing 30,000 ventilators within the next few weeks?

Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
NYC is the reason he is Governor. Upstate NY tends to lean more to the right more than downstate and NYC does.
I live upstate and am well aware of that. I'm a democrat but conservative but we have plenty of liberal Democrats up here too who have migrated from NYC.

Cuomo should have shut down any outgoing flights to other states. Anyone coming in should have been quarantined for 14 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies