Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 12:50 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times

Advertisements

Some New Yorkers are thanking him? For what?

For ignoring recommendations that the state needed more medical facilities and equipment? What is he? A science denier?

For having really high taxes and squandering the states large budget?

Or simply for blaming the Feds, and Trump specifically, for his states ineffective management.

I know the answer is the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Plus New-York is a major international hub, plus the slams of New York, plus the public transportation (the usage of it,) - I mean there are a lot of objective factors why New York is hit harder than many other places in US ( Texas including.)
When people can't look at the US map, see where the major points of infection are, and figure out the reasons behind it, what should it say about such people?

All these screams "let's keep economy rolling, we need to keep the money coming to our pockets, the sooner the better, things need to go back "as usual," are in denial.

Things simply can't go back to "as usual," as much as some would love to step over the dead bodies to keep on counting profits.
"As usual" is simply not there.
Not any longer.

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a blistering assessment of Washington’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic Tuesday — with over 25,000 New Yorkers now ill, more than 200 dead and the sickness’ spread accelerating like a “bullet train.”
“The president said it’s a war,” said a visibly angered Cuomo in a press briefing. “Well then act like it’s a war!”
Cuomo’s anger boiled over as he spoke at Manhattan’s Javits Center, which is in the process of being converted to a 2,000-bed hospital complex to fight a flood of cases that now stands at 25,665 in the state — with 210 dead — and 14,904 in the city."

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/cuomo-...ses-top-25000/

Yes, things are getting bad in New York, so Cuomo is right to sound the alarm.

(Not that they are not bad in Seattle for example, but while Seattle is somewhere on the "outskirts of the country" one might think, New-York is not.

Bay area is yet another potential concern.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...rus-in-the-u-s

Seattle/State of Washington ( while being on the outskirts) is yet another important area of the US economy.

So no, no more "things as usual."
Doesn't look like it, sorry to say.

P.S. Wait a minute..
It just downed on me today; New York - that's where the Wall Street is, duh, the money Mecca of the world!

How can things then "go back to normal," when New York now is the most infected city in the US (or may be the whole world, after Wuhan, China))

"Cuomo said the bill provides $3.8 billion for New York State, of which only $1.3 billion will be sent to New York City.
“Sounds like a lot of money,” Cuomo said. But it’s far below the shortfall in revenue that the state projects it will face, which the governor said could total $15 billion.
“That is a drop in the bucket” compared with what New Yorkers need, he said. “How do you plug a $15 billion hole with $3.8 billion? You don’t.”
New York has become the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coro...uomo-says.html

Old 03-25-2020, 01:24 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Power grabbing hysterical nutjob.
He acts like NY is the center of the universe. Other states need supplies too. You aren't going to get 30,000 ventilators at the expense of others getting none.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. Wait a minute..
It just downed on me today; New York - that's where the Wall Street is, duh, the money Mecca of the world!

How can things then "go back to normal," when New York now is the most infected city in the US (or may be the whole world, after Wuhan, China))

"Cuomo said the bill provides $3.8 billion for New York State, of which only $1.3 billion will be sent to New York City.
“Sounds like a lot of money,” Cuomo said. But it’s far below the shortfall in revenue that the state projects it will face, which the governor said could total $15 billion.
“That is a drop in the bucket” compared with what New Yorkers need, he said. “How do you plug a $15 billion hole with $3.8 billion? You don’t.”
New York has become the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coro...uomo-says.html

Tell Cuomo that when you CHOOSE to live "elbow to ass**le" you reap what you sew.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
He acts like NY is the center of the universe. Other states need supplies too. You aren't going to get 30,000 ventilators at the expense of others getting none.
Yeah but that's the scale of their need because their leaders did such a terrible job of managing this crisis.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:29 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
The good news is smart people are looking at facts and scientific data and are acting and planning according. In other words, they are ignoring Trump.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
NYS sent emails out to retired RN's around 2 weeks ago seeking their help, maybe you are not recently retired and no longer in the licensing system. Problem is that many retired are over 60 and that is a risk, they are also attempting to add nursing students from local universities.
It could be, even if they did I couldn't anyway. When I was in my early 30's I opened a ventilator circuit to drain the condensation (routine). My timing was off and the exhalation blew in my face. Two days later I was in the hospital with pneumonia. I took over a month to be well enough to leave the hospital, CDC came in because they had trouble treating it. Talk about kick you in your butt, I was so sick I didn't care if I died and that was in my early 30's. I never want to go through that again.

Hospital staff is well aware that they are at risk especially when the cause of illness is unknown. It could be the older ones realize they got out, never want to go back because of the unreasonable work load and shifts (wearing you down), and age increasing the risks.

Last edited by petch751; 03-25-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 01:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The good news is smart people are looking at facts and scientific data and are acting and planning according. In other words, they are ignoring Trump.
Trump is doing a good job. What would you do different?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Tell Cuomo that when you CHOOSE to live "elbow to ass**le" you reap what you sew.

As in what?

Density of population?
It doesn't happen without a reason.

( Not that I am planning to say anything to Cuomo any time soon. I've been to New York three times in my life I think - first time, last time and never again.

Just enough to get an idea))) )

Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Trump is doing a good job. What would you do different?

How do you "keep economy rolling" again, when the major center of this economy is exploding with virus?

That's my only question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies