Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
What if your son/daughter told you that....they are gay/lesbian?

What would you do?

What would you say?

Would you accept him/her as they are?

Would you love him/her unconditionally?

Would you try to convert him/her to a heterosexual?
I would shun them, perhaps disown them. I'd send them to a shrink and perhaps a conversion center, have the living daylights electrocuted out of them to make sure they change into normal people. I'd give them every reason to want to change, damnit! What shame they would bring on the family! What my neighbor and coworkers say is far more important to me than the silly kid's happiness. When I have my kids it will be to make me feel better, to accessorize my life and damnit if they ruin my effort for a perfect family and don't fit into my set of goals for them and superstitions about life.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:

What would you do?

What would you say?

I would be dissappointed but I understand that is a choice nature made and that they didn't and I would accept it. It ain't the worst thing they could tell you.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would be dissappointed but I understand that is a choice nature made and that they didn't and I would accept it. It ain't the worst thing they could tell you.
That about says it. Not much else you can do really.

Not really PC but I'll admit to wondering if I did something wrong as a parent. . . . one does miss much of what life has to offer, imo, if going through it gay. . . . but it's better than living a lie; hiding in a closet for an entire lifetime.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I'm waiting for a good friend's son to tell his parents he is gay. I am certain they will be distressed but also certain they will not disown him.

The post by twilomike is about a self centered and mean as I have ever read. Being more worried about you own status and pride instead of you son's happiness is really pitiful.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I have no kids but their happiness would be paramount if I did. As long as they are nice, kind and decent human beings I could not care less what their choice of partner is. If the person they fall in love with them is good for them, will love and comfort them and bring them joy and fun and companionship then who am I to judge.

I would much prefer to have a happy Gay son than a heterosexual one in a miserable straight relationship.

Love is love. We should be celebrating love not decrying it because it does not fit certain narrow-minder societal precepts.

My only worry would be bigotry from others but being true to yourself is more important than cultural conventions IMO.
My only concern would be :
Are they Happy and loved ?
Are they Healthy?
Are they safe?
The rest really isn't that important.

We ALL have a right to love and be loved. It is a basic human right.
Who we fall in love with should have no impact on the way we are perceived by others. As long as we do not harm others and are good people then who bloody cares ?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:

Probably look them in the eye and say, "Umm, okay".

What would you do?

Probably avoid making any references to potential grandchildren and use substitute "girlfriend/boyfriend" for "boyfriend/girlfriend".

What would you say?

See question #1

Probably. They are just sleeping with and wishing to form relationships with adults of their own sex, not doing anything evil. Gross if you're not into that kind of thing, but certainly not disgusting in any moral or ethical sense.

Love is sorta conditional to begin with, but I doubt homosexuality would be something that would case me to cease being attached to someone. Maybe see them in a slightly different manner, but it won't change everything else that has happened in a lifetime.

How would I pull that off in the first place? I guess anal sex is like jazz, you either dig it or you don't.
My answers are in the red text.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
.. one does miss much of what life has to offer, imo, if going through it gay. . . .
Really? What do you mean specifically? What do you think your child would be missing out on? It certainly adds stress to one's life, but I don't see how one is missing something, aside from being able to bear biological children with one's partner.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I would, say I love you. Thats it because for me it would not be an issue. I mean as long as my child is happy, good to themselves and others who care if they are gay or straight. Yes I would worry about them being hurt and treated badly, however it would be the same worries if they were staight.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Chili girl - I may have missed the joke because I have known people that would do exactly what Twilomike said.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I'm waiting for a good friend's son to tell his parents he is gay. I am certain they will be distressed but also certain they will not disown him.

The post by twilomike is about a self centered and mean as I have ever read. Being more worried about you own status and pride instead of you son's happiness is really pitiful.
Wasn't it obvious he was joking? Maybe he wasn't though. The line about "what my neighbors/co-workers think about me is more important that some silly kid's happpiness" (paraphrasing) was what tipped me off. I could be wrong, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies