Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 09:59 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And so have we as individuals and we did nothing.
Do you really need to wait to prepare yourself ?

I had an inkling when that nursing home hit the media and I started making preparations.
I'm not one to sit around and wait for "we are the government and we're here to help"
Of course I don't need to wait. I have been preparing myself. But I can't provide test kits or pertinent, factual information to the American public. That's beyond my pay grade.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:00 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think anyone expected Trump to stop it from coming. But we did expect him to not take so long before acknowledging that it was a real thing. He's known about it since December. Finally, getting dragged, kicking and screaming, he has declared a national emergency. We still don't have enough test kits and we aren't going to have enough hospital beds and staff to deal with the fallout.

and yet, 98% of the nation is seeing just a trickle affect.

If you are not near NYC, Boston, Seattle, your quantity affected is not significant.

The exceptions above would have seen the most international travel.

The Chinese were seeing doubling also, but it STOPPED there. Under 10 new cases a day there.

We do not know when our new case rate will do the same decline, but in all these doomsday projections, inevitably it always does.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and yet, 98% of the nation is seeing just a trickle affect.

If you are not near NYC, Boston, Seattle, your quantity affected is not significant.

The exceptions above would have seen the most international travel.

The Chinese were seeing doubling also, but it STOPPED there. Under 10 new cases a day there.

We do not know when our new case rate will do the same decline, but in all these doomsday projections, inevitably it always does.
It's not over and is just beginning. Please try to understand that. This isn't the end. This is just the start. Please read up on information from Johns Hopkins and others experts who understand the exponential growth of this virus and what the implications are for that. You can't just look at a snapshot of today and think this is where we are going to end up. We don't have sufficient test kits. So if only a few thousand people get tested, then the numbers aren't going to show that thousands or millions have been affected until they have been tested. We are at a critical shortage of hospital beds and respirators in this country. We are going to have a shortage of medical personnel as they may sadly fall ill themselves because of lack of personal protective gear. 49 states have now been affected. A couple of weeks ago it was a handful.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Prepared how ?

Do you think they would have cut off all international travel back in January ?
Do you think they would have cancelled events and limited crowd numbers ?

Americans would not have tolerated that. Heck we can't even keep people who have been asked to self quarantine in their homes for more than a day.
Prepared by not cutting the NSC Pandemic Unit. It's purpose was to monitor outbreaks like the Wuhan epidemic. Basically nobody was in charge here in the US in the early days. Someone should have been keeping an eye on the CDC and asking why are they rejecting WHO test kits, which has been a huge mistake.

Someone should have been keeping an eye on Homeland Security to make sure they are trained in how to do proper border screening, which still does not exist. People returning from Asia as recently as 2 weeks ago are simply asked whether they have been in China. CBP does not even look in the passport to verify it.

And they botched dealing with the flight from Japan of people from the cruise ship, some with CV. There was a whistleblower report filed on that. People who met the plane did not wear masks or other protection gear and nobody trained them.

Basically, the oversight of this whole thing has been weak and a problem. That is the responsibility of the Executive branch. And the buck stops with Trump. It is his team that he was supposed to assemble and his team failed.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It's not over and is just beginning. Please try to understand that. This isn't the end. This is just the start. Please read up on information from Johns Hopkins and others experts who understand the exponential growth of this virus and what the implications are for that. .
At this time, no one knows where we are on the curve.

We will know months from now where we were in March.

No one projected China's declining rate before it happened.

This could be the start still, the middle, or the decline could be starting soon.

None of us know.

Even the experts are all over the map in projections. But most of them admit they can't substantiate their own projections.

In the interim, panic solves nothing.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
At this time, no one knows where we are on the curve.

We will know months from now where we were in March.

No one projected China's declining rate before it happened.

This could be the start still, the middle, or the decline could be starting soon.

None of us know.

Even the experts are all over the map in projections. But most of them admit they can't substantiate their own projections.

In the interim, panic solves nothing.
I'm not panicking and neither is anyone I know. We're being vigilant. We're educating ourselves and listening to the experts. And you are right. None of us know.

As an aside, I don't know that I believe the numbers that come out of China. I don't think they're really that fond of keeping us in their loop.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
. 49 states have now been affected. A couple of weeks ago it was a handful.
Most of the 49 have 1-5 cases, 6-10 being 2nd most common group.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I can see we will have to agree to disagree about where this virus is taking us. Again, what you are talking about is a snapshot of today. This virus is exponential according to experts. That being said, I'll just say, stay well, my friend.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Nope, despite your claims to the contrary, you still have no idea what exponential growth is. You keep repeating these low initial numbers as if it proves this will all just die out with little consequences. Stay tuned, Bob, we haven't even begun to see what the real numbers are yet.

You are embarrassing yourself here.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not panicking and neither is anyone I know. We're being vigilant. We're educating ourselves and listening to the experts. And you are right. None of us know.

Ditto. 3/days wfh next few weeks.

Not listening 24/7 but to a few shows daily as always.

Going to eat at restaurants off and on, eat at home sometimes also.

Walking every day. Exercise and fresh air = very healthy activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies