Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,090,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
He's not wrong about that. Cancer is genetic.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:03 PM

25,388 posts, read 17,061,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then this obviously means Republicans didn't have much to criticize him for because God knows no opportunities were wasted on that front. Before the man even got into office, Republicans in Congress decided to engage in unprecedented levels of obstructionism as part of their number one goal of making Obama a one-term president.............
Yeah. That was our greatest failing. If only we had succeeded, America would be much better off.
We did, however, destroy Hillary's chance to be President, so that's something!
And now it looks like Biden will be nominated, so things are still looking up!

MAGA
Trump 2020

Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,618,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Obama waited 6 months before he declared swine flu to be a national emergency, by then 12,000 people had died. take your phony outrage and shove it....
On April 25, 2009, WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern regarding H1N1. The next day, a public health emergency was declared by President Obama, renewed twice in July and then October before being upgraded to a national emergency after US had experienced the onset of a second wave of H1N1 infections. At the time the national emergency declaration was made, there were over 1,000 deaths due to the pandemic in the US.

Facts matter.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. That was our greatest failing. If only we had succeeded, America would be much better off.
We did, however, destroy Hillary's chance to be President, so that's something!
And now it looks like Biden will be nominated, so things are still looking up!

MAGA
Trump 2020
Trump may very well win re-election this year but I truly wonder how his most ardent supporters will cope with his exit from office in early 2025 at the latest. It will be intetesting to see.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 PM

17,386 posts, read 6,715,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Trump may very well win re-election this year but I truly wonder how his most ardent supporters will cope with his exit from office in early 2025 at the latest. It will be intetesting to see.
It's good to see you've already accepted your loss in 2020.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 PM

17,386 posts, read 6,715,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
As has been repeatedly documented the response was much more efficient and faster than the fumblings and lies of the orange cheeto.

Also, tRump is an idiot.
And you were ten years old or so back then?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 PM

36,991 posts, read 41,010,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
This whole covid-19 panic is media hype.
The election was gonna be a landslide now they see an opportunity to ruin the economy. Trumps greatest asset.

To wit. They are widely reporting as fact that the mortality rate of seasonal flu is only .1%.
Yet the CDC accurately states that on average since 2010, 61,000 americans died every year. This would mean that every year 61 million americans contracted the flu, sought medical attention, and their physician diagnosed, did laboratory analysis, and reported to the CDC, an influenza case.
We know that didnt happen. So where does that .1% number come from?
Im 57 years old and not once in my life have I ever sought medical attention for the flu. Neither do most of us.
Whats going on here is they DONT know the actual mortality rates of any of this stuff. They are wildly estimating. And the media reports according to their agenda, not just politically but self serving.
"Nothing sells copy like impending doom".
There is no reason to trust the media on this.
No, the CDC did not "accurately state[s] that on average since 2010, 61,000 americans died every year" from flu. That was the estimate for 2017-2018.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

Precisely because no one is counting individual cases of flu, the estimate is made using a complex method to account for unreported cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
12,000 Americans died from H1N1. 34 (?) have died from Coronavirus. Care to explain how "this is way worse than swine flu" to those that can do math?
It's not the absolute number of deaths that is cocerning at this point. It is the rate at which it is increasing.

Quote:
R0 for common seasonal flu is about 3.6. Covid-19 is 2.

Covid 19s real danger is not its transmittability but the high mortality seen in the elderly. No humans have immunity against it.
https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

Flu is about 1.3. COVID-19 is higher but not yet pinned down.

Quote:
"The flu is extremely efficient in passing among people before an infected person shows symptoms. But the coronavirus doesn't operate in quite the same way.

"COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far," Ghebreyesus said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2020-3%3famp

I can find the other reference if you insist but at that point youre splitting hairs.
The difference causing concern is not an increase in R0, its the mortality rate because of lack of immunity to the novel virus.
Ghebreyesus was wrong. I can only conclude he misspoke. All indications are that R0 for COVID-19 is greater than for flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The problem with pointing at this one's 3.4% rate vs H1N1 is that corona is disproportionately affecting the older population, as in the people already vulnerable that would likely die with just about any bad infection anyways. It seems ridiculously hard to find an age breakdown of the mortality rate for H1N1. To reference the regular flu, about 81% of deaths occur in people 65 and older which has been the bulk of the corona cases period, not just the deaths. The data is ridiculously skewed.
If by H1N1 you mean the 2009 pandemic version, it disproportionately hit younger folks. Why choose it to compare to COVID-19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Maybe, but if you had a hypothetical pathogen with an R0 of 1000 but no, or highly limited harmful effects, would it matter? The effects for the very vast majority of the people infected by corona are little more than a bad cold. Someone who gets a few sneezes and a cough isn't going to run to the doctor and demand to be tested for this. If the actual infection rate is significantly higher (and I truly believe it is) then that would push the mortality rate way down, and the overall impact would be...about that of a cold.
An estimate of the number of less severe cases will indeed lower the death rate, but it is unlikely to push it below the rate for flu. The coronaviruses that cause colds do not behave like this one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I want to correct this,my wife and I had swine flu shots,she said her illness,very severe was from flu shot.
The vaccine cannot cause flu. If she was severely ill she already was infected when she had the shot, it was a strain not covered by the vaccine, or she got infected before the vaccine could become effective (about two weeks.) Note also that the pandemic strain was not covered by the seasonal flu shot initially. A vaccine was developed and then it was later included in the seasonal version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
I read about a guy just today who’s 35 years old he runs marathons and it’s considered extremely healthy. He caught the coronavirus and was quarantined with other folks who also had caught it. He was on the mend and almost over it and he apparently caught it a second time. They don’t know if it’s a mutated strain, or he hadn’t quite finished building up a natural immunity to it. They could’ve mutated amongst the people he was quarantined with. Anyhow, he’s now on a ventilator and he’s not expected to live much longer. I’m telling you, there’s something they’re not telling us about this virus. They know something they’re not telling us.
People who "caught it a second time" probably relapsed - they never completely cleared the virus from the original infection - rather than being reinfected.

Quote:
He's not wrong about that. Cancer is genetic.
Not all of it is. Tobacco contains chemicals that cause cancer. Not all smokers will get lung cancer but most who get lung cancer are smokers.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
It's good to see you've already accepted your loss in 2020.
I said Trump *may* win re-election, not that he *will.*

Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 AM

11,606 posts, read 5,650,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Holy ****! I totally forgot about that bull**** "WTF ARE THESE CZARS UNELECTED!" craze the right wing went through under Obama. I mean its tough to remember since like every single month they were pretending something that totally wasn't unprecedented or new was this massively unprecedented new issue, but the czar thing was a massive one
And your point is?? The same video could be made of CNN and MSN's responses. I don't watch any US news program but the left has been out in force since before Trump was even elected.

The right is reacting just as the left reacted. You're not telling us anything new.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,374,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroPick View Post
Seamaj7 is going to eat crow in a month. BET ON IT.
Oh, really?

The quote function is a tool to help with coherently expressing opinions and promote dialogue.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies