Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 06:19 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

We have to make you poorer so we can make you richer.

Remember govt does not have its own money, it can only steal from you and others to fund its schemes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 06:26 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/tulsi-gabba...avirus-1492293

They are right. Many workers have seen their incomes dry up, hours cut back, furloughed or even laid off. A temporary universal basic income check of $1,000 per month will be a real lifeline. To keep the administrative costs down, just mail the checks to every person who filed a federal tax return. No applications, no forms, no paperwork. Just mail the checks. Not only would that help those who need it, it would also be the most effective stimulus possible, as most would spend it immediately and pump it into the economy. Three months of checks would cost about $0.5T. Doable.
"Now Is a Great Time for a Temporary Universal Basic Income"

When we have "universal" cost of living, come back and we will talk.

And WE are called the UN-educated!

Just out of curiosity, where do you expect to get this money from?Whose money was it?

Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Now Is a Great Time for a Temporary Universal Basic Income"

When we have "universal" cost of living, come back and we will talk.

And WE are called the UN-educated!

Just out of curiosity, where do you expect to get this money from?Whose money was it?
So you want the economy to stumble when people aren't working and companies have to furlough if not let people go due to this global economic crisis? I say this would be better than the alternative of another potential near depression rather than a bear market slight recession.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Is there ever a time that Democrats don't think it is a good idea to steal and give someone else money away...

Old 03-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Is there ever a time that Democrats don't think it is a good idea to steal and give someone else money away...
This isn't "stealing someone else('s) money away" (learn grammar) butt rather a temporary borrowing of money people would produce but cannot due to being sick or having their company closed off to provide spending at normal rates. If I don't work, all my savings go into bills and then I don't have money to spend on the economy to give to that someone else. However if I had "someone's money" I would be able to be an economic player and not have to worry about just making my monthly bills or perhaps not.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This isn't "stealing someone else('s) money away" (learn grammar) butt rather a temporary borrowing of money people would produce but cannot due to being sick or having their company closed off to provide spending at normal rates. If I don't work, all my savings go into bills and then I don't have money to spend on the economy to give to that someone else. However if I had "someone's money" I would be able to be an economic player and not have to worry about just making my monthly bills or perhaps not.
"Temporary" borrowing? What are the terms (interest, collateral, etc.) and time limit for repayment?

Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Temporary" borrowing? What are the terms (interest, collateral, etc.) and time limit for repayment?
It is metaphorical and not the banking use of the word borrowing. If you actually read my post you would see that.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:51 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
UBI should be a goal in the future

For right now temp UBI for 2-6 months would be great

Would be a boost to the market and aid those not making money being self quarantined

Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is metaphorical and not the banking use of the word borrowing. If you actually read my post you would see that.
Just send people "metaphorical" money, then, not real money that comes out of someone else's paycheck and reduces their take home pay.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
For now I support this bill going through to provide immediate assistance to folks.

AS for more handouts for me or you or corporations. I kind of would like us to be a little more cautious in jumping into that.

We don't know how this is going to play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies