Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about learning and speaking other languages?
I already speak more than one language 67 35.08%
I already speak more than one and actively try to learn at least one more 27 14.14%
I am actively trying to learn at least one more language 30 15.71%
I see the importance of learning another language, but don’t have a need to 29 15.18%
I do not see the importance since I speak English 22 11.52%
Other 16 8.38%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 07:28 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly, there are very few instances where learning another language would be necessary if one lives here. Who are you going to speak German, French, Italian, etc. with? What is the likelyhood of that when most of those living here of those origins know English? Even most Hispanic-Americans know English. If I were to visit another country I would learn a few words of their native language just to get by. If I were to move to a foreign country then I would learn their entire language and wouldn't expect to be pandered to in English either.
I still have an old school flip phone so not exactly technologically advanced. But isn't there some kind of app that changes sentences/words from English to whatever language you need at the moment?

Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,329 times
Quote:
I disagree but to each his own. If I moved to another country I would learn their language and speak to them in their language not expect them to speak to me in my native tongue.
But let's be real, how likely is it that you will ever travel outside of the US?

Quote:
The only language that might surpass English is Spanish and that's simply because of the number of illegal aliens we have here and that are continuing to come here. It's not natural nor lawful. I refuse to learn the language of invaders. Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual English/Spanish so why would we need to learn Spanish to communicate with them?
Do you have a source to back up this allegation? You also said that you refuse to learn the language of invaders, depending on who you talk to, English could also be one of those languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I speak two languages besides English with complete fluency, and there’s nothing better than being a polyglot. Everybody should be one if they have the aptitude.
That's the problem. He doesn't have the aptitude and he's mad about it.

Quote:
We are already being forced to learn Spanish because of the number of employment ads that say "bi-lingual is a must". Thank God, I'm retired but it is effecting our younger native English speaking job seekers. As I said, why do we need to learn Spanish to connect with Hispanic-Americans since most know English? I never said anything about anyone being an enemy (except for illegal aliens of course). Don't put words in my mouth! How am I a xenophobe? A xenophobe has a fear of strangers. Just what strangers am I supposedly afraid of other than objecting to those here illegally?

Why learn a language you will never use? The only way I'd learn a foreign language is if I had a job in the tourist or medical industry or if I moved to another country. Ever heard of interpreters? Your lame attempts to demonized me with name calling in spite of my valid reasons for not learning a foreign language is duly noted. It's the usual tactics of liberals. They can't stand a difference of opinion without resorting to juvenile name calling and labeling including your hateful comments related to Hitler. Shame on you!
Bi lingual is a skill and many businesses have the right to request it. If you don't know have the skill then go onto to the next job. Easy.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:58 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It can be useful to learn another language but it is hardly necessary here in the U.S.
This sums it up. It is mostly useless to learn a foreign language if you live in the United States and limit your travels to this country.

However, if you go to a country where the local language is other than English, then of course it is useful to learn that particular language... Italian if you go to Italy, Japanese if you go to Japan, Spanish if you go to Mexico, etc.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
ITA with this. And while learning languages wasn't a primary qualification in my career, it certainly was a plus in getting hired.
As it should be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
100% of public schools and universities in the United States use English as the primary language of instruction.

If you live and work in America, then you learn English. It is the only mainstream language spoken in America. Any language other than English is an immigrant language or the language of a small community.
So what?

It still doesn’t preclude the fact that language learning has incredible benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Of course you can find them but most do learn the language and do you think Americans are alone in that?
No, most DON’T learn the language and yes Americans are alone in that. Absolutely.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
You live in Madrid so I would assume that Spanish was already your first language anyway, not second language?
We already know you don't want to learn another language....

Old 03-16-2020, 08:23 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It still doesn’t preclude the fact that language learning has incredible benefits.
I think you were saying that learning a foreign language can boost your understanding of English grammar and such. There are some benefits if you learn Latin or Greek, since many English words have roots in those languages.

It is important for most people in the world to know that English is the foreign language you need to learn if you want to live and work in the United States and become part of the mainstream. English is the national language of every major profession in the United States.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:26 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
I am actively working on learning Japanese and I've been really enjoying it. I look forward to getting over the beginner's jump (kanji and a good chunk of vocab) so I can start consuming native materials more

Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
How do you feel about learning/ speaking other languages?

I know a little Spanish, which I studied in Middle School in the 1960's. I studied Russian about twenty years ago (I am not fluent), largely because I became Orthodox Christian in the Russian tradition. Also, I had long wanted to learn Polish and the resources were not available. I figured I could pick up Polish at some later date.

For the last fourteen years, I have ben studying Modern Standard Chinese. I understand a lot, but I do not consider myself fluent. My pronunciation is very good, but my vocabulary is a bit weak. I read pinyin but I am not as good with the simplified script.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
How do you feel about learning/ speaking other languages?

I know a little Spanish, which I studied in Middle School in the 1960's. I studied Russian about twenty years ago (I am not fluent), largely because I became Orthodox Christian in the Russian tradition. Also, I had long wanted to learn Polish and the resources were not available. I figured I could pick up Polish at some later date.

For the last fourteen years, I have ben studying Modern Standard Chinese. I understand a lot, but I do not consider myself fluent. My pronunciation is very good, but my vocabulary is a bit weak. I read pinyin but I am not as good with the simplified script.
Good for you but unless you are going to converse in all of those languages on a daily basis you will lose your ability to do so and that's why IMO it's a waste of time.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:09 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Good for you but unless you are going to converse in all of those languages on a daily basis you will lose your ability to do so and that's why IMO it's a waste of time.
Actually, I ceased my Russian studies, but I was using/practicing it at the cathedral because we received a lot of Russian tourists and businesspeople and I was a greeter. Anyway, I never had a tutor, everything I learned was from Pimsluer, which while good at the time had it's limitations.

I live far from the city now, far also from a Russian style Orthodox parish, and do not have any opportunity to use the language. It was good while it lasted.

In some small way the Chinese I use almost every day. I have many contacts with Chinese nationals. I lived in China, and taught business English and conversational English. I made many friends there.

I have found that learning a foreign language was a big boost to understanding English. Teaching English was also a big boost to mastering English.

The Spanish was an elective in junior high school about five decades ago. My teacher was a distinguished Cuban gentleman. I don't use it at all, but I remember it pretty well, perhaps because I was young. It was fun learning, but I only took Spanish because I didn't want to learn French or German at the time.

I don't consider language learning a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies