Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Every single person of Spanish or Latin American origin in the state of Texas was considered to be white. ALL of them. Even if they had brown skin they were considered white.

They were not a minority group. The fake "hispanic/latino" ethnicty con did not exist.
Well, that's not your call to make. Now run along and go play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 12:53 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchullero View Post
When it comes down to Census race questions. They are tied to how a person identifies in society. If you identify as white, then you must write white, if you identify as Hispanic, then you must write Hispanic, and so on. Remember, even when it comes to Hispanics in the Census, this is not written in the Census as a race, but only as an ethnic group and it gives you separated racial categories to pick from besides your Hispanic ethnicity. Obviously, the contradiction is that Hispanic have become a race label in American society. But my point is the Census got it right giving Hispanics two choices. I understand this have become a contradiction, not so much in the way is written in the Census, but what it means to be Hispanic in American society.

I would make the final argument not to worry too much about it, if you feel you identify a certain way in society, then write yourself as such in the Census. The Census ain't perfect by any measurements, it doesn't have mixed race labels, it puts Indians and Pakistani people in the same race label as Japanese and Chinese people and so on. So, don't worry too much about it.
And their lies the problem. The U.S., pretending not to be divisive by design, truly is. If it forces someone to check black for having one drop of black in them (what this means how visible it is) but doesn't force someone to check white or Native-American or Asian for having one drop in them, then there's the divide. We are all forced to be what we look like and that's the bottom line.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchullero View Post
When it comes down to Census race questions. They are tied to how a person identifies in society. If you identify as white, then you must write white, if you identify as Hispanic, then you must write Hispanic, and so on. Remember, even when it comes to Hispanics in the Census, this is not written in the Census as a race, but only as an ethnic group and it gives you separated racial categories to pick from besides your Hispanic ethnicity. Obviously, the contradiction is that Hispanic have become a race label in American society. But my point is the Census got it right giving Hispanics two choices. I understand this have become a contradiction, not so much in the way is written in the Census, but what it means to be Hispanic in American society.

I would make the final argument not to worry too much about it, if you feel you identify a certain way in society, then write yourself as such in the Census. The Census ain't perfect by any measurements, it doesn't have mixed race labels, it puts Indians and Pakistani people in the same race label as Japanese and Chinese people and so on. So, don't worry too much about it.
No, it’s not a contradiction, as Spanish-speaking nations have racial censuses as well. Further, if you are mixed, the census allows you to chose two or more races.

Indians and Pakistanis are South Asian and Japanese and Chinese people are East Asian. All those groups are Asian.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:31 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Utter nonsense! You are what you are racially not what you identify yourself as. Hispanic isn't a race so I don't even know why it's on the census even as an ethnicity. There is no need for two choices as no one else gets two choices. You are either white, black, Amerindian, Asian racially or of mixed race. Most Hispanics in this country are of mixed race either Mestizo or Mulatto their ethnicity is irrelevant.

The census allows for the selection of two or more races. It clearly states “Mark one or more boxes and print origins.”

Stop spreading false information.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 03-22-2020 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
Quote:
Utter nonsense! You are what you are racially not what you identify yourself as. Hispanic isn't a race so I don't even know why it's on the census even as an ethnicity. There is no need for two choices as no one else gets two choices. You are either white, black, Amerindian, Asian racially or of mixed race. Most Hispanics in this country are of mixed race either Mestizo or Mulatto their ethnicity is irrelevant.
On the contrary, the instructions on the census as you to mark down what you identify yourself as. A lot of people that identify themselves as white are mixed and may not even know it.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Hispanic isn't a race so I don't even know why it's on the census even as an ethnicity.
Hispanic ethnicity is not even real. It's something that they literally just sat down and made up in the 70s - everthing about the concept is fake and makes little objective sense. It's on the census so that "hispanic" political organizations can use the stats to demand money and resources that are for minorities.

That's the whole reason the fake "hispanic" demographic exists. They just invented that people of Spanish-Speaking origin are somehow different from the general public - so that entitles them to federal funding.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:00 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
On the contrary, the instructions on the census as you to mark down what you identify yourself as. A lot of people that identify themselves as white are mixed and may not even know it.
Well, that is not an honest reflection of one's race then. Why not do away with the choice of two or more races then if one is just going choose one of their racial mixes as the only one they simply identify with? Here's an example. Obama is equally mixed black and white yet I'm sure on the census he only claims black as an identifier. That's an incorrect answer for his actual racial makeup.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
According to ancestry dna, I’m primarily Portuguese and Philipino. What would someone like myself choose on a nationality questionnaire?

Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
According to ancestry dna, I’m primarily Portuguese and Philipino. What would someone like myself choose on a nationality questionnaire?
The Census isn't about nationality it is about race.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Every single person of Spanish or Latin American origin in the state of Texas was considered to be white. ALL of them. Even if they had brown skin they were considered white.

They were not a minority group. The fake "hispanic/latino" ethnicty con did not exist.
Keyword: was. This is 2020 not 1920.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies