Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
All that talk about Mexicans being so indigenous and they NEVER choose American Indian.
I actually found out Im 30% native american... And 5% sub Saharan African, and some euro and asian mixed in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:06 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I always check "other" or "do not wish to answer" on any forms, surveys, census, whatever.

Besides, I identify as a millionaire carniverous bunny rabbit.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
But who makes that decision? White people do..thanks but no thanks. And what about Middle Eastern people? They are white too.
"Middle Eastern people" are an ethnicity, not a race. "Hispanic" just means Spanish speaking people, it's an ethnicity, not a race.

Now you see how on demographic breakdowns it says, for example, Texas is 73% White....32% of that is Hispanic.

Saying you are "Hispanic" is similar to saying you are "Slavic" or "Jewish" or whatever. It has nothing to do with your race. You can be someone who is racially black and ethnically Hispanic, you can be someone who is racially white and ethnically Persian and a million other combinations.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:21 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I think the confusion for Hispanic people comes to those who are indigenous such as the Maya, and although it might seem intuitive to put down Native American, that term in the US census is only used for people indigenous to the United Sates, that’s why I think the term Amerindian should be added to the census to be more inclusive of indigenous peoples of central and South America.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
I think the term that should be listed is Mestizo, which is the real anglo/Amerindian mix that the majority of "hispanic" people in this country are

Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think the confusion for Hispanic people comes to those who are indigenous such as the Maya, and although it might seem intuitive to put down Native American, that term in the US census is only used for people indigenous to the United Sates, that’s why I think the term Amerindian should be added to the census to be more inclusive of indigenous peoples of central and South America.
American Indian is already a choice of race on the census. There is also a catagory of two or more races. I never understood why Hispanic was put on our census as it's not a race. Why would we care about any races or racial mixes in South America? After all, this is the U.S. Census we are speaking of.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I actually found out Im 30% native american... And 5% sub Saharan African, and some euro and asian mixed in there...
Yet you chose Chicano as your forum name?

Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Technically, the distinction is that Hispanic is an ethnicity. You can be a Black Hispanic for the record (plenty of Afro-Caribbeans, Afro-Brazilians are).
Brazilians aren’t Hispanic.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
So I just the 2020 Census in the mail and this question is a bit confusing.

8. Is person 1 of hispanic, latino, or spanish origin?
  • No, not of hispanic, latino, or spanish origin.
  • Yes, Mexican, Mexican American, Chicano.
  • Yes, Puerto Rican.
  • Yes, Cuban.
  • Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin - (Salvadoran, Dominican, Colombian, Guatemalan. Spaniard, Ecuadorian, etc)
9. What is Person 1's race?
  • White - (German, Irish, English, Italian, Lebanese, Egyptian, etc)
  • Black - (African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethipiopian, Somali, etc)
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Chinese, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, Filipino, Korean, Samoan, Asian Indian, Japanese, Chamorro, Other Asian
  • Some Other Race

Do I chose White for race & write Mexican American for origins?
Are you of mixed race? Then you would pick "two or more races". Your former nationality or your ancestors nationality is irrelevant in regards to race.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Most "Hispanic" people are considered white racially. Obvious exceptions would be Dominicans.
Only if they are strictly from Spanish origins though. Most Hispanics in our country are Mestizos (mixed race) they aren't just white. They should check the box of "two or more races". It doesn't matter what one perceives them to be or what the color of their skin is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies