Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,367,353 times

Advertisements

I wish they would have done two things;

-freeze mortgage payments for three months
-freeze student loan payments for three months

Deal with the lender in on those issues, by way of compensating for the loss during those times. I think those two things would have a good bang for the buck. It is not forgiveness, basically just tossing the payments on the back end of the loan. Lender institutions would get compensated for losses resulting of this by the gov. It would have freed up billions of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,049,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
So if people can’t go out to spend how will this proposed stimulus help?
Forget spending it.

For those poor people that work in the heavily-impacted industries, like food, cruise, etc...if they're out of work for two or three months, what is $1,000 going to do for them? Maybe pay a portion of their bills for the first month? After that, then what???

Old 03-19-2020, 10:58 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,367,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I stopped at a handful of gas stations the past 2 days, all of them had long lines for the cashier, some were around 15-20 people deep...all of them standing right next to each other!!

Its like people are oblivious, they dont even care whats going on.
Well, the number of people, even posters here, who think this is nothing more than a common cold, or the hype is a media ploy against Trump, etc, is pretty astounding.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:02 AM

45,040 posts, read 26,196,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So would you rather that than people having defaults?
who is going to default? Do you have any idea? Why havent people saved money?
You realize the fed govt is beyond broke and can only print the money it hands out. Printing money further debases it and creates inflation (which is a tax).
Will some suffer? Certainly. Should we all be punished? Of course not.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I stopped at a handful of gas stations the past 2 days, all of them had long lines for the cashier, some were around 15-20 people deep...all of them standing right next to each other!!

Its like people are oblivious, they dont even care whats going on.
What else do they do? I have been in line several times "before the dark times" and kept some space and people cut in front because "Oh, I didn't know you were in line..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Well, the number of people, even posters here, who think this is nothing more than a common cold, or the hype is a media ploy against Trump, etc, is pretty astounding.
Yeah, deniers and conspiracy theorists.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I wish they would have done two things;

-freeze mortgage payments for three months
-freeze student loan payments for three months

Deal with the lender in on those issues, by way of compensating for the loss during those times. I think those two things would have a good bang for the buck. It is not forgiveness, basically just tossing the payments on the back end of the loan. Lender institutions would get compensated for losses resulting of this by the gov. It would have freed up billions of dollars.
This was what Chad Benson said on the Chad and Gaydos show sometime this week. I heard it drive-time. I typically disagree with him and think he is a conservative hack, but I think he was right on that. That said, I think the $1,000 helps too.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
who is going to default? Do you have any idea? Why havent people saved money?
You realize the fed govt is beyond broke and can only print the money it hands out. Printing money further debases it and creates inflation (which is a tax).
Will some suffer? Certainly. Should we all be punished? Of course not.
Who is gonna default, people who are furloughed. Lots of airport workers, theme park employees (those that already are open this year) and hotel workers are are all furloughed right now and will be facing their last paychecks in the next few weeks.

Why they haven't saved, I covered that in another post somewhere. The point is you have one car fix that costs $2000, that wipes out $2000 in savings. I had this two years ago.

I realize the government is going break, mainly on the back of the tax cut. I realize printing money isn't optimal but it is our only way out at this point.

We will all be punished if people default and more jobs are lost. Many jobs are lost and many more are looking at their jobs being lost either due to companies not affording to pay them while closed or not getting government moneys.

The problem is if do let more suffer by doing nothing, more people will be punished in far worse ways than inflation and national debt. More will be on the street with them.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,829,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
No, I would rather the money not be sent.. but as it is, at least I am being treated fair for once, and the money will go right into an ETF..
Be a good patriot then and send your check back. Nope, you will cash it, even as you admit you don't need it and you don't agree with the giveaway. Way to stand on your principles.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:27 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,529,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Be a good patriot then and send your check back. Nope, you will cash it, even as you admit you don't need it and you don't agree with the giveaway. Way to stand on your principles.
I'm splitting mine between a donation to Feeding America and the Biden campaign.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'm splitting mine between a donation to Feeding America and the Biden campaign.
Good. I'm needing $400 of it to cover lost wages this week. The rest is going into bills and savings for a potential tax bomb based on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies