Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will cases peak?
Next 1-2 (late MR) 10 6.58%
2-4 weeks 47 30.92%
2 months 56 36.84%
4 months 21 13.82%
6 months 7 4.61%
By the election 2 1.32%
Next year 1 0.66%
It'll never end, it's the new normal 8 5.26%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 01:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are not taking into account, the national and global economic impacts from this...thats whats going to make things VERY BAD imo...

If the nation goes on a 3 week lockdown, it would be very tough to come back from that, we would be in a global depression like nothing we have ever seen.

Its not going to be the virus that gets us...it will be the domino effect on the economy.
We'll bounce back fine, yes it would be rough for a while but it isn't going to take years. People will start buying non-essential stuff again fast. Could even cause the economy to do better for a while as things that were postponed due to coronavirus come back to life. Where do you think all those airline flights that people aren't taking are going... probably to the second half of the year. Those big gatherings that aren't happening now? Once COVID-19 is out of the picture, they're happening. Those jobs being laid off? They'll have to hire again.

The Great Depression lasted over a decade. Started 1929, we weren't fully out until 1941. We're not going to see effects of this 12 years from now.

This is going to be the very definition of a V-shaped recession. More accurately, a very narrow and quite deep V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 02:27 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So in other words you would lie to the American public? If the president did that he'd be called out more than he already is. Other than not having the test kits out there sooner, I don't know what else anyone could've done. Even with the test kits, it's not easy to get 100 million or 200 million of them in a week or two.

People forget that with H1N1 under Obama and Biden 60.8 million Americans were infected. It hospitalized 274,304, and killed 12,469, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It took them 6 months to declare a national emergency. They never did close the borders and they never did have a travel ban. In the end more than 13,000 people died. You call that good leadership?

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/03/...ents-response/

Now you have Joe Biden flapping about what he would've done. The question is more what he wouldn't have done and the harm he would cause. He has never been effective, has always been incompetent, and he is beholden to China, which is one reason we have the predicament we have with depending way to much on the Chicoms. And with the open borders he wants, we would be flooded with illegals taxing our medical systems.

Yeah, that's a real leader you want in there. Someone better wake him up and tell him it's Monday.

You know that you and I don't always agree, but... YOU NAILED IT!!!

JOe Biden would have just responded to suggestions by his unelected handlers with a "c'mon man, I killed 1000 Nazis in WWII damn it!" "I don't work for you, man!"

Well, he's right. He doesn't work for us - it's the other way around! "man"

Old 03-17-2020, 03:55 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 12 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In Wuhan, the "epicenter" of the outlet, the total number of cases was some 80,000. This out of a city of 11 million, or .73% of the population. The number of active cases has been dropping steadily, and the city is getting back to normal, with businesses and travel restarting.

So-given that-when do you think the cases in the US will peak, and we'll start to return to normal?

(first choice should say next 1-2 WEEKS, sorry)
The UK is going to offer advise in comimg weeks that those over 70 years of age self isolate for at least 12 weeks (3 months), so in terms of the US which is behind Europe at least four to six months plus. The UK is 3 weeks behind Italy, and the US is even further behind.

MILLIONS of people to be 'shielded' at home for 12 weeks to keep them safe from coronavirus - The Sun

What is the basis of the UK government's coronavirus measures? - The Guardian

Old 03-17-2020, 04:24 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
IMHO if Trump shuts down like 85% of the country with grocery store and pharmacy only being open and the borders are closed this week 4 to 6 weeks. The numbers will level off for 10 days then they will start to drop off. Next fall winter the numbers will pickup again but they will be 70% to 75% less.
Good post. I think we all understand that lock down means everything closed, except essential food and household item outlets, pharmacies, utilities and health care services at full and overtime speed with available resources skewed toward them.

My family have been on voluntary lock-down for almost a week now and local restrictions are reasonably tight, but as middle-age mom mentioned several frames upthread, too many people will not voluntarily lock down, especially for 8 weeks (my gut-feeling estimate, about double your 4-6 weeks gut-feeling estimate) and in some States and counties and other localities it is still business as usual.

I add that while local and State officials have the power, too many of them do not have the guts to declare and enforce a lock down, putting the federal government in a position of damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. So it will walk a tight rope and do it gradually, hopefully by the end of the week.

Either way, people who don't take the proper measures on their own first and foremost, then local and State officials, will get what they deserve, but unfortunately that also spills over into people who do attempt to do the right thing.

Wishing everyone well!

Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
i thought corona virus was a media and dnc hoax

Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
i thought corona virus was a media and dnc hoax
Your thought process is broke.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:53 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
It'll be 1-2 months.

In 4 months people will be asking why the country turned into a flip case over a few thousand deaths. BTW, so far there have been over 10k deaths from the basic flu this season.

I had it in Nov and it was a nasty bugger.

I hope you are correct, but I'm an analyst and I can tell you we are just in the ramp-up stage.

I see the hump leveling off in a month to six weeks. By May it'll be going down down down.

That was brutally ignorant fool!

Unless you're just being obtuse on purpose, you would be no great loss. Society can do without dullards.
The flu can start in Nov in the north and not make its way to the southern states until 2 months later.
At least that is how it was with the last flu where relatives in the south got the same flu I had 2 months later.

3 months sounds reasonable.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:02 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
I predict the Trump virus will be with us until the election

Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
the election will have to be canceled this fall, already have postponed primaries. Vaccines will take a year or more.

we can try again in 2024.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:06 AM

858 posts, read 424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
more accurately, a very narrow and quite deep v.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies