Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 2,439,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The peak is expected in mid May.

The expansion of infection is logarithmic; just ask the Iranians and the Italians.

This is not a "hoax" at all. The CDC does not casually announce pandemics to be cute and expedite political agendas.

The only reason there will not be as many deaths as the Spanish Flu is the fact that there has been aggressive efforts to minimize exposure and an understanding of disease transmission. As a physician, I do not think that the health measures are over blown by any means. We just shut down our ORs for all elective cases effective today. A large hospital system does not decide to take it in the shorts financially over a "hoax".
Whatever this virus is, I'm not convinced it's a "hoax.' It's disappointing to see Ron Paul, a man who I have a lot of respect for, a man who had practiced medicine for decades, characterize it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 01:24 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This I agree with. Fauci and the others are likely deliberately overstating things in an effort to contain the spread. They know deep down this is not another Black Plague but they would rather overstate the seriousness than understate it even though they know that to overstate means to sink the economy. Overstating kills the economy; understating spells the possibility this could really get serious, but likely will not.
I remember when we were told Trump wouldn't even let Fauci speak.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:32 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Very likely there is a financial war being waged by Russia and China behind the scenes. First the $20 barrel oil to shut down America's oil producers, thanks to Russia. And now China is conducting a massive propaganda campaign to smear the USA, and who knows what they are doing behind the scenes. Piling on the pain no doubt. And lefties couldn't be happier, because they in turn get to blame Trump. Lefties are probably buying into the Chicoms propaganda that coronavirus is America's fault!

This "bear market" is definitely no ordinary bear market, and even 60,000 deaths from a rouge virus wouldn't cause all this. What we are seeing is all out war between billionaires and entire institutions, and the small time investors, people with 401ks, etc are just caught in the crossfire. Couple that with the "1984" Orwellian style shut down of our economy... Creepy and sad, but that's what happens when governments get too big, and too much money is injected into the equities markets, and massive bubbles are created just waiting to pop.

Next stop, deflation, followed by likely manufactured inflation by the government to patch it all over and retain some hope we will be able to pay the interest on our massive deficit. Hopefully they won't bungle and create Wiemar republic style hyperinflation... But the stock market would love that.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:33 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Quote:
This is unprecedented. Entering a Bear Market (loss of 20% of stock value) in just 10 days where in the 2008 crash it took 200+ days and all over 116 Coronavirus deaths, 95% of which are among the elderly??????

Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO. When this things starts to die out by summer the US economy will be in shambles at this rate. We will learn that Trump was right all along--it was the most gigantic hoax ever perpetrated on the US people.
Perhaps you shouldn't invest in the stock market then since it seems that Wall Street bankers / investors are prone to hysteria or hoaxes.
By the way if you do come down with Covid-19 I suggest you get treated at the Hoaxpital !

Old 03-18-2020, 01:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times
I am amazed that we are willing to destroy the entire economy when the death toll is still low. I know the potential for a large number of deaths is possible but usually economy trumps all.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There will be/have been 234,000 cases in US by Mar 31.

About 6,000 will die.

This summer the death toll will read 10,000 per month.
100's of thousands by the time there is a vaccine, with about 3 - 5 million cases.
Predictions are like a certain bodily orifice. Everybody has one.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
The peak is expected in mid May.

The expansion of infection is logarithmic; just ask the Iranians and the Italians.

This is not a "hoax" at all. The CDC does not casually announce pandemics to be cute and expedite political agendas.

The only reason there will not be as many deaths as the Spanish Flu is the fact that there has been aggressive efforts to minimize exposure and an understanding of disease transmission. As a physician, I do not think that the health measures are over blown by any means. We just shut down our ORs for all elective cases effective today. A large hospital system does not decide to take it in the shorts financially over a "hoax".
ITA agree with this. Where I work the hospital also shut down ORs for elective cases and they are considering closing down all clinics.

That said our hospital is in financial stress right now so if this were not serious, our administrative team would not have taken the above measures. These measures may break us financially and require a bail out from the state to keep us open.

Hosptial systems don't react to "hoaxes" in such a drastic way as what is being done across the US.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am amazed that we are willing to destroy the entire economy when the death toll is still low. I know the potential for a large number of deaths is possible but usually economy trumps all.
I agree on the bold. The fact that it is not trumping these closures should tell you all something. Note, I live in a state with a GOP governor so our response is not being pushed by some leftist extremism.

Our team is making decisions based specifically on the information from public health officials and CDC recommendations in order to stave off shortages in our medical side especially for my employer. We are VERY short on supplies to the point that it is scary for those of us involved in medical supply meetings/webinars over the past week. Part of the reason for shutting down elective procedures was to save supplies for emergency/life saving care for non covid related cases at this point. A car accident or someone going through cancer treatment, etc. Supply chains are stretched thin right now and we don't have room for elective procedures.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,376,154 times
Quote:
This is unprecedented. Entering a Bear Market (loss of 20% of stock value) in just 10 days where in the 2008 crash it took 200+ days and all over 116 Coronavirus deaths, 95% of which are among the elderly??????

Corona may be serious but to bring an entire economy down over 116 deaths in over a 1-month period is the definition of insanity IMHO. When this things starts to die out by summer the US economy will be in shambles at this rate. We will learn that Trump was right all along--it was the most gigantic hoax ever perpetrated on the US people.
In 2009 the H1N1 pandemic infected 60M Americans and killed 12K. Worldwide the death toll was 300K. The markets did not crash because of it. Granted, this new virus is more lethal (but less widespread), but that's if you are old and sick or have a life threatening pre-existing condition in the vast majority of cases. Even then, the odds of making it are overwhelmingly in your favor.

The rest of us otherwise healthy people should be able to go about our business while respecting common sense precautions such as not shaking hands and avoiding large gatherings, or staying home if we have a person at risk in our entourage.

The virus is not a hoax but the doomsday predictions are. As I said before, if you are concerned about this new strain of flu but drink or smoke or are addicted to legal/illegal drugs you don't have your priorities straight.

There is no reason to crush the economy and the livelihood of hundreds of million of people worldwide because 9K mostly elderly people passed away in the whole world. Even if it was 90K.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:17 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
I think that EVERYONE should follow the advice of the CDC. I am a Trump supporter (and a physician) and am following the CDC suggestions. Unfortunately, I have to go to work every day and may be "re-assigned", depending on the number of patients affected. I am also immunosuppressed from cancer, but am not given any special "pass" to see patients.

IF we follow the CDC suggestions, things will not be as bad as they could be. IF this happens, there will thankfully be fewer fatalities and people can say, "I told you so". I would rather be safe than sorry with public health.
thank you.

the number of people who have said the virus is a hoax is incredibly small, and must all wear tinfoil hats. The POTUS hasn't said the virus was a hoax. Certainly some of the things he said early on downplayed the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies