Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:24 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I keep mulling this all over in my head. Whoever we bail out, it's only going to buy time and amass more debt. If the virus situation doesn't improve the money will be spent and we'll be back in the same spot again soon. I don't have an answer, except that if we get a few more weeks down the road and the virus continues to spread, we may have to simply freeze all monetary transactions and go to straight up rationing.

I agree, the 2008 bailouts made me sick and I don't want to see it again.
I'm right there with you re questioning what to do.

I'm typically of the mindset to let businesses fail that can't make it on their own. There should be no business that's too big to fail, ever! I liken it to the "natural selection" theory applied to businesses.

But, in this case, the little guys need money for shelter, food, medical and such. They should get help over and before any big business.

Any person who doesn't have much money and is still purchasing iPhones, getting their nails and hair done, buying new clothes and such is a moron and should become destitute. Again, it's natural selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 11:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
What is the purpose of bailing out big businesses over the average citizens, if the average citizens will not be able to afford to use the services of the Big Businesses, e.g., airlines, cruise industry, lodging and the hospitality industry?

It seems we may have a repeat of bailing out the Big Guys and forgetting about the little guys.

I can say I'm an ardent Trump supporter. BUT, if he bails out Big Business before and instead of us average folks, he will absolutely lose my support.

Can anyone shed light on why it a good and reasonable plan to help Big Business over the average Jane and Joe?
Trickle up. Welfare for the rich. Robbing the treasury. As usual.

Privatize the Profits/Socialize the Losses

Old 03-18-2020, 11:28 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I’m an ardent Trump supporter, however if he does bail out the 0.1% and give us zilch I’m not voting for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trickle up. Welfare for the rich. Robbing the treasury. As usual.

Privatize the Profits/Socialize the Losses
I think you're right. But, the majority of votes come from the little guy. Trump can't be reelected by his Big Bus. friends; he needs us. Bummer!

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
All profits are owed to the SHAREHOLDERS (owners) of the company. The business cannot hoard the cash or have it locked in the basement like in the first "Die Hard" movie.
My company has $1 billion in cash, so some are responsible.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m an ardent Trump supporter, however if he does bail out the 0.1% and give us zilch I’m not voting for him.
Same here.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Trust me, I know this is way more complicated than it appears....but none the less, it does tick me off.

The airlines, after lining their pockets, literally in the billions, for "bag" fees, which of course exacerbate the cattle call boarding process, when I/we travel, now want to leave us taxpayers, holding the "bag" again to subsidize them. What did they do with all those billions they charged us for "bag" fees over the past any number of years?

I'm tried of being the "bag man" for corporate elite excess. They dig deep into my right pocket for "bag" money when I flew....now that I'm not flying, and at home sitting in my personal voluntary quarantine, they want to grab "bag" money out of my right pocket too....and I'm not even flying anywhere!!!!

How about we all demand a few shares of United, Delta etc... in exchange for the taxpayer bailout "bag" fees? Seems fair (or fare in this case) doesn't it?

Last edited by jasper1372; 03-18-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2020, 11:56 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
All profits are owed to the SHAREHOLDERS (owners) of the company. The business cannot hoard the cash or have it locked in the basement like in the first "Die Hard" movie.
Not at the expense of crippling the company should an economic issue arise.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Trust me, I know this is way more complicated than it appears....but none the less, it does tick me off.

The airlines, after lining their pockets, literally in the billions, for "bag" fees, which of course exacerbate the cattle call boarding process, when I/we travel, now want to leave us taxpayers, holding the "bag" again to subsidize them. What did they do with all those billions they charged us for "bag" fees over the past any number of years?

I'm tried of being the "bag man" for corporate elite excess. They dig deep into my right pocket for "bag" money when I flew....now that I'm not flying, and at home sitting in my personal voluntary quarantine, they want to grab "bag" money out of my right pocket too....and I'm not even flying anywhere!!!!

How about we all demand a few shares of United, Delta etc... in exchange for the taxpayer bailout "bag" fees? Seems fair (or fare in this case) doesn't it?
I dont remember southwest doing this.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:12 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
50 billion for the airlines..... that is outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies