Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wrong. Next time anyone besides Trump is President they will put the pedal to the metal to return to status quo.

It's how we got here in the first place. If anyone besides Trump won three years ago they'd have already passed the TPP and it would be game over for Americans.

They wanted to pretend to stand up to China by signing more terrible trade deals with ****hole countries. That was their SOLUTION! Think how dumb that really is.
I’m afraid that this is true. And it’s not only China it’s the 0.1% who have been screwing us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 08:32 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
We should really start investing in ourselves and bring back manufacturing of essential goods to the US.
There is a case to be made for this. But one problem: China is also one of our biggest customers. For example, what happened when the tariff wars were going on last year? American farmers lost half the soybean market. I don't know how we ban Chinese made products in the US and still expect them to buy our products.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:37 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You might like to see that, but we can't do it until we can manufacture our own goods.
This is underway for strategic military sourcing as of ~3 years ago. Trump turbocharged the effort.

This week, Marsha Blackburn of TN, introduced a bill in the Senate to take back key parts of our medical/pharma manufacturing. I think it will pass, and you'll see more activity here.

The timing is right to do it. Low interest rates for business investment, friendly government environment tofast track it through the regulatory swamps, and soon as the virus is defeated, a lot of unemployed people to work in the plants.

I see American manufacturing charging back like we have never seen.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

It's how we got here in the first place. If anyone besides Trump won three years ago they'd have already passed the TPP and it would be game over for Americans.
Hillary was also against the TPP:

Clinton has publicly opposed TPP since October 2015, when the text of the deal was finalized.
"I oppose it now, I’ll oppose it after the election, and I'll oppose it as president," she said at a campaign rally in Michigan in August
https://www.businessinsider.com/hill...e-deal-2016-10

Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Clinton has publicly opposed TPP since October 2015, when the text of the deal was finalized.
"I oppose it now, I’ll oppose it after the election, and I'll oppose it as president," she said at a campaign rally in Michigan in August
Hillary...

This TPP sets the gold standard in trade agreements to open free, transparent, fair trade, the kind of environment that has the rule of law and a level playing field. And when negotiated, this agreement will cover 40 percent of the world’s total trade and build in strong protections for workers and the environment. (5 November 2012)

Old 03-20-2020, 11:40 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Funny how HRC changed her tune after backing it 110% during her stint as Secretary of State. The TPP would gut small and medium size businesses in the USA by imposing ridiculous regulatory burdens. Its intent from the beginning was to make sure large that corporations like GE, WalMart, Boeing, Apple, etc. could dominate export trade without interference from up and coming competitors.They might as well call it the Corporate Oligarchy Treaty.

BTW Joe Biden is another shill for the TPP, so we already know his disdain for small business.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
I hired Trump to NOT be like Presidents of the past.
Being "Presidential"(Sellout) got us in this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies