Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:49 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The simple answer is always the best answer.
Yeah if some people had their way we'd still be propping up the blacksmith industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:51 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
That would "be okay" with him, but he won't do anything to push to make sure it's in the bill, either. Since we know for a fact that McConnell will never send a bill to Trump if he won't sign it, he has just signaled to the Senate that they can omit that stipulation if they want and he will still sign it. And I'm quite certain McConnell heard it loud and clear.

It will not be in the final bill.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:51 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. After all, big corporations are where he gets his support.

Oh, but I thought the only people who support Trump are the uneducated/high school dropouts in the midwest and the south

And who are these big corporations you speak of that support Trump? Google? Facebook? Walmart? And what about all those corporations who got hit hard when Trump started a trade war and made it more difficult to buy crap from China? What makes you think they are on Trump's side? And the entire stock market fell like a rock, and the left insists it's 100% Trump's fault. Is that something corporations support? It's obvious you didn't think too carefully when you made that comment.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:57 PM

409 posts, read 872,722 times
Didn't Trump run against the bank bailout?

Granted I am not an economist, but I really hope there is not another bailout. I am all for cutting a check for the people, but these bailouts are getting insane. Why would these big businesses plan for the unexpected if they can just pass the hat to the government. And I am getting sick of watching our government falling all over themselves to throw money at them.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah if some people had their way we'd still be propping up the blacksmith industry
Come on man, you have to! Who is going to make the horse shoes!?

Old 03-19-2020, 04:07 PM

I hope he does limit buybacks. If corporations cannot spend so much buying their own stock and faking prosperity, they will invest more in their workforce and actually help restore prosperity in the USA... Something woefully lacking during Obama's two terms of malaise and stagnation for the US workforce.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He said he would “not be opposed“ to banning use of bailout monies to buy back stock is not the same as making clear he will not sign a bill that does not ban buyback.

Seems he is leaving it to Congress.
I say he's full of manure.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Why bail them out in the first place? If they need financial help, they can go get a loan at a bank just like we do. Im sure they have assets (property/ facilities), they can list as collateral if their credit is not good enough.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why bail them out in the first place? If they need financial help, they can go get a loan at a bank just like we do. Im sure they have assets (property/ facilities), they can list as collateral if their credit is not good enough.

They would probably run to China like the cowards they are to borrow the money, then China would pretty much own all of America, except our inefficient government. We would still have the military though

Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
What else are they supposed to do with the money? Demand has been suppressed across the economy.

That's why I think corporate bailouts are ultimately chasing bad money with good money. Much better to give that money to everyone directly, so they can pay bills and not worry about becoming homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies