Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 01:29 AM

30,566 posts, read 18,069,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So much arrogant ignorance continues to fly around here, and of course we know who the offenders are and they aren't kids on spring break.

Someone mentioned Fox. Well I just saw this and found it interesting. The Fox News folks who were going off on the reaction have totally changed their tune and now recognize the threat. I suggest some of you do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKb...9yzH63R0tnWtbw
And when did Fox News make this "change?" When was Fox News downplaying the virus? Or are you spreading more #FakeNews as usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 01:42 AM

10,242 posts, read 6,792,368 times
Parents are in their 60's and are downplaying like this is nothing going on with life and work like nothing is happening. Most of the media downplayed this thing as just the flu, have it for a few days and life goes on. The entire media really missed the part of what was actually happening, its not the flu, its a raspatory disease that basically cause your organs to fail and your lungs fill up with fluid until you can no longer breathe. The other failure of this thing is the name "coronavirus" which is absolutely incorrect, many older people have had the coronavirus before as their are several very common strands of the coronavirus probably many of us have had dealt with in our lives.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 AM

16,183 posts, read 10,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And when did Fox News make this "change?" When was Fox News downplaying the virus? Or are you spreading more #FakeNews as usual?
It's almost as if you didn't even watch the clip. When did Fox downplay the virus and then changed their tune? I think that was pretty obvious as you watch the video, the dates have been provided had you actually taken a look before commenting. How FakeNews even got into your post is perplexing to say the least.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:02 AM

16,183 posts, read 10,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Parents are in their 60's and are downplaying like this is nothing going on with life and work like nothing is happening. Most of the media downplayed this thing as just the flu, have it for a few days and life goes on. The entire media really missed the part of what was actually happening, its not the flu, its a raspatory disease that basically cause your organs to fail and your lungs fill up with fluid until you can no longer breathe. The other failure of this thing is the name "coronavirus" which is absolutely incorrect, many older people have had the coronavirus before as their are several very common strands of the coronavirus probably many of us have had dealt with in our lives.
Not "the media", the right wing media. Now they are obviously totally changing their opinion as the video above clearly shows but the damage has been done. The right wing media has caused many to just blow off the risks. We see it here on CD all day long, we read story after story of people like your parents who took their cue from Fox News, they are the group protesting the shut downs, discrediting the risks, and out of ignorance and selfishness they continue to go out into crowds of people.

Next we had the President who initially downplayed the virus, see the video above as he compared it to the flu and claimed we had it "totally under control". That segment heard these words and apparently they stick, even when both sources totally changed their message. So strange that this group still doesn't listen to the new message, they are stuck on the original message. Not unlike being stuck on stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjTaR748eg

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 03-20-2020 at 02:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 02:02 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We are not designed to live according to the dictates of overseers like this. That is at the core of your lack of understanding here. Die, we will. But to be controlled in this manner, in these sorts of circumstances, just sitting in your house or apartment or whatever, cringing in fear, waiting for the overseers to give permission to start living again....

This is just not going to work like this, even if your overseers have imagined otherwise. They are wrong if they believe that it will, and with all due respect, so are you.
China brought the virus to heel with draconian methods. The US needs to do it voluntarily.

Quote:
This is a different, new coronavirus (the name is absolutely correct) that no one has had before. Having had one of the strains of coronaviruses that cause colds will not prevent you from getting COVID-19.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:04 AM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I like to imagine that most people can be convinced with facts, except, unfortunately, from my own experience, and even in this forum, it's apparent that it doesn't work.

It's interesting that they watch Fox, and maybe the first thing to do is to coax them to broaden out their viewing. Tell them about some great program - not a news program, but something fun - that you've seen on PBS. In other words, start them in a new direction, although that will take a while to bear fruit. Then, you might try sending them short articles with some statistics. Send them the actual print-out of the article, not a link. Then, if you happen to know their doctor, call him and beg him to reach out to them to warn them. And when you talk to them, don't yell and lecturing them in an alarmist way. Speak to them from the standpoint of loving them and wanting the best for them. Also, for the long-term, for Mother's/Father's Day, buy them subscriptions to one or two health magazines.

I'm encountering the opposite problem, of elderly friends who are irrationally terrified.

Statistics will only encourage them to go out.

There are still just a few individuals with the virus and most of them are in large cities.

Even in Italy, the death rate from the virus is just 1 in 18,000.

You aren't going to scare old people with that.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not "the media", the right wing media. Now they are obviously totally changing their opinion as the video above clearly shows but the damage has been done. The right wing media has caused many to just blow off the risks. We see it here on CD all day long, we read story after story of people like your parents who took their cue from Fox News, they are the group protesting the shut downs, discrediting the risks, and out of ignorance and selfishness they continue to go out into crowds of people.

Next we had the President who initially downplayed the virus, see the video above as he compared it to the flu and claimed we had it "totally under control". That segment heard these words and apparently they stick, even when both sources totally changed their message. So strange that this group still doesn't listen to the new message, they are stuck on the original message. Not unlike being stuck on stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjTaR748eg

My parents are hardcore Vermont Bernie supporters, doubt they even watch Fox News. They are more likely to read the NYTIMES and MSNBC.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
China brought the virus to heel with draconian methods. The US needs to do it voluntarily.

This is a different, new coronavirus (the name is absolutely correct) that no one has had before. Having had one of the strains of coronaviruses that cause colds will not prevent you from getting COVID-19.
Covid 19 just means Coronavirus 2019, its not an actual real name.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:23 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
Quote:
Covid 19 just means Coronavirus 2019, its not an actual real name.
COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) is the disease caused by the virus, for which the official name is SARS-CoV-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2).

That is its "actual real name."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...that-causes-it

"Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as '2019 novel coronavirus') and the disease it causes. The official names are:

Disease

coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)

Virus

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2)"

Old 03-20-2020, 02:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,779,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What would it take to convince you not to go out unless absolutely necessary?

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?

I am almost 75, and while I am taking it seriously, and am taking SOME precautions, I still have to go to work. There is no one there to replace me, and it would not be fair of me to just bail out on my coworkers. But I do wash my hands multiple times during the day, I monitor my temperature and how I am feeling, and I avoid close contact with others, especially those who are sneezing or coughing. We also spray the Hell out of everything with Lysol all during the workday.

If the government orders all of us to stay home, I will do it then, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies