Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Our son finally stopped visiting friends because THEY told him he needed to stop coming over.
Very glad to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 02:51 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I hope he's right, but things like "controversial professor" and other scientists saying "the testing was not carried out in a controlled study and the results were purely 'observational'" are not encouraging.

I suspect we'll see far more useful data coming out of New York. Right?

Old 03-30-2020, 02:52 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
[url]https://twitter.com/TomFitton/status/1244457257590546432[/URL

India has been administering it to their physicians for over a month, with 100% success.
https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Advisor...2infection.pdf
Wow! Awesome. Ive read the healthcare workers get 1st divs, which make sense.

As soon as these meds become readily available, I'll get them, then end my quaratine, and go to social distancing, and all the other precautions. We are not high risk though, and live in sparsely populated area.

thx for the post.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I hope he's right, but things like "controversial professor" and other scientists saying "the testing was not carried out in a controlled study and the results were purely 'observational'" are not encouraging.
How long until they can make a formal study that is more diagnostic?

Old 03-30-2020, 03:00 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'll take those odds versus nothing.
99% survival rate without any treatment / drugs is not bad odds.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Serious question - can you tell me where this idea that it's a dangerous drug came from?

It's been in use for several decades to treat a variety of conditions, from malaria to lupus. I don't follow mainstream news narratives, so if that's where it came from, that would make a lot of sense. I do genuinely want to know where everyone's getting this idea, though.

I recall hearing something about "two grams can kill a person" which is 10x the normal dosage - of course a person shouldn't take 10x the recommended/prescribed dosage, of anything. Other than that, I'm at a loss as to where people are getting this idea. I'm sure it's not as safe as Tylenol, fine, but your statement above indicates that you think it's far more dangerous than it's worth, to try it and see if it works for some people.

Because someone drank fish bowl cleaner, or some kind of anti parasitic fish medication. Whatever it was they took, it said "not for human consumption" and the person took it anyways. And people are using this as yet another excuse to attack Trump, and the medication he claimed was showing promising results.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Israel is the world’s largest producer of generic Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and the source of this medication.
Are you trying to say that it is a generic drug and that many various companies make it...including maybe Teva?

Novartis has pledged 130 million, Teva 10 and Mylan many more. Bayer has made it - IPCA (massive Indian Pharma) as well as MANY Chinese and other companies.

"Cadila Healthcare Ltd., the Indian company that is the world’s largest maker of the drug"

We must be VERY careful, of course:

"An article published this week in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings warns that both drugs could prompt dangerous and potentially deadly heart arrhythmias in the 3 million people worldwide who have a congenital cardiac condition — called long syndrome — that can cause the heart to beat erratically and lead to sudden death."

Turns out that those who take anti-depressants are also indicated as dangerous to give this to, as are users of some 60 or so other drugs that may interact with it.

Israel isn't even in the top 15 of medication exporting countries by $$ (Germany is #1 by a long shot).

Old 03-30-2020, 03:10 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Serious question - can you tell me where this idea that it's a dangerous drug came from?

It's been in use for several decades to treat a variety of conditions, from malaria to lupus. I don't follow mainstream news narratives, so if that's where it came from, that would make a lot of sense. I do genuinely want to know where everyone's getting this idea, though.

I recall hearing something about "two grams can kill a person" which is 10x the normal dosage - of course a person shouldn't take 10x the recommended/prescribed dosage, of anything. Other than that, I'm at a loss as to where people are getting this idea. I'm sure it's not as safe as Tylenol, fine, but your statement above indicates that you think it's far more dangerous than it's worth, to try it and see if it works for some people.
It it not a harmless drug. I was taking it in the 1980s to prevent malaria (we lived in malaria zone), and I remember it would make you seriously nauseous, and it always had to be taken with food. If they give it to Corona patients, it must be done under doctor supervision, since such patients already have pre-existing conditions such as heart disease, so there could be accidental deaths from Chloriquine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroquine#Overdose

Chloroquine is very dangerous in overdose. It is rapidly absorbed from the gut. In 1961, a published compilation of case reports contained accounts of three children who took overdoses and died within 2.5 hours of taking the drug. While the amount of the overdose was not stated, the therapeutic index for chloroquine is known to be small. One of the children died after taking 0.75 or 1 gram, or twice a single therapeutic amount for children. Symptoms of overdose include headache, drowsiness, visual disturbances, nausea and vomiting, cardiovascular collapse, seizures, and sudden respiratory and cardiac arrest

Old 03-30-2020, 03:11 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:

Looks like the typical dose is 1 g the first day and then 1/2 g on subsequent days. So that would be twice the loading dose that's fatal.

Many of the side effects are mild (nausea, headaches, itching, etc) but some are more concerning: convulsions, irregular heartbeat, difficulty breathing, hallucinations. Scientists need to make sure the cure isn't worse than the disease.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:11 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
FDA just approved emergency use of hydroxychloroquine sulfate based on anecdotal evidence. That's... a little concerning. Hopefully it saves more people than it kills.
It's a gamble, like everything this POTUS does. He removed barriers to getting drugs approved (and barriers to keep companies from polluting). Some will see it as a good move, to reduce red-tape, others will see it as wreckless, and worry it may cost lives. Both opinions have some merit.

Personally, I'm for removing barriers, but it should be done with some educated guesses, not by a politician willing to risk someone else's life on a calculated bet to get reelected. But hey, if it works, he looks like a hero, if it doesn't, "they probably would have died anyway". Right? (Sarcasm)

^As much as I do think it was illadvised, I do believe there is SOME merit to carefully removing red-tape. I just also think this was not careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies