Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:14 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,599,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If this is true, then how do you account for (1) bi-partisan praise of George W. Bush after 9/11 and (2) GOP "neutrality" (that's probably the best descriptor) on Obama's handling of Hurricane Sandy?
Trump's getting bi-partisan praise for his handling of the China pandemic !!!

How do you account for those on the left that sees that as a problem and are trying to drive a wedge in it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 08:15 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,599,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Again.... What is this racism accusation I keep seeing pop up. Who did? What did they say?
Do your own work and research and you won't have reason to doubt others !!!

Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,697,329 times
Topic of this thread is OP complaining that Democrats may be planning to push back on Trump because Trump and Company politicized a looming global health crisis for the purposes of getting re-elected.

Apparently what makes them sick and tired is the push back on all of Trump's what -about-isms and comparisons that he hurled while the Democrats and the credible media organizations were reporting and informing the country of the seriousness of this global crisis. You know, they were reporting the truth and informing citizens that it was coming to America while Trump was weaponizing their truth telling and using it as a political tool by claiming they were perpetrating a HOAX.

So rather than Trump's enablers being tired of hearing about the truth vs the what-about-isms and comparisons that Trump himself introduced and pushed, why don't Trumpers stop making those political accusations and what-about-isms? Then those who seek truth wouldn't have to expose the lies that Trumpers say they are are sick of hearing about. You know, stop telling them and you won't have to hear about them.

Then there would be no need to have the Democratic Party plan to defend the country from the deflecting and distracting and dangerous, single minded POTUS who disgustingly politicized a VERY REAL AND SERIOUS PANDEMIC. And now has apparently convinced his flock that the Democrats did it and he is such a pitiful victim.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-20-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 08:35 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Do your own work and research and you won't have reason to doubt others !!!
Lol... I should research to support allegations you're not backing up? I don't think that's how it normally works...

Old 03-20-2020, 12:12 PM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How do you figure? Did he refuse to ban travel from infected countries? Did he wait 6 months to declare a national emergency? Did he wait until 1000 Americans had died before doing ANYTHING? Oh wait...that was Obama-and perfectly acceptable!!! How silly of me.
Did the stock market crash during H1N1? How about the SARS epidemic of 2003? It hit hard in China and it mirrors what their country did and what we are doing today. It was largely contained in Asia with some vectors infected in Toronto with 33 deaths. It made it to our soil as well. Only it didn't get a chance to spread here. H1N1? Child's play compared to this. You can not prevent deaths from flu. We should be able to prevent SARS pandemics like we did in 2003 and 2012 with MERS. It feels like a third world country now.

Reuters has an interesting article: Flu-economics. The next pandemic could trigger global recession. It was written in 2013.

Lessons learned from these epidemics, near pandemics? Common sense will dictate that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the next pandemic will cull the over population.

Disbanding the best of the best by closing the pandemic response office may have been the biggest blunder of his administration. There is a stark difference between the way the 2003 SARS CoV outbreak was handled and the disaster we have today.

This is why we can't have nice things.

(I don't remember which one of you I stole this from long long ago, but kudos. I still laugh about it.)

Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 PM

31,989 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. Obama should have done things better during the swine flu but he wasn't and still isn't criticized, why not? It is old news, water under the bridge. Could Trump have done things better, of course he could have but he was doing the best he could in the face of this ever unfolding and complex crisis.
Not even remotely the same thing. It was just a few days ago when Trump said everyone was over-reacting. Way before that, he dismantled the White House pandemic response team. And before that, he approved CDC budget cuts.

Not only that, but does anyone remember universities, the NBA shutting down, and the automotive industry closing its plants in 2009-10?

Trump screwed this up big time. He's not getting off the hook.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:20 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,822,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not even remotely the same thing. It was just a few days ago when Trump said everyone was over-reacting. Way before that, he dismantled the White House pandemic response team. And before that, he approved CDC budget cuts.

Not only that, but does anyone remember universities, the NBA shutting down, and the automotive industry closing its plants in 2009-10?

Trump screwed this up big time. He's not getting off the hook.
I would consider forgiving Trump.

All he has to do is apologize and take responsibility for his lies.

"Sorry everyone, I messed up, I didn't take this seriously enough and I told damaging lies about it that I knew contradicted what I had been told by experts. I am sorry for failing to take this seriously and I am sorry for lying about it. I will do better from this day forward."

I am pretty confident I will not forgive Trump, because I am pretty confident he will never take responsibility for his actions.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Reassuring, no?

Quote:
For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it isIf the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31...ency-response/

Old 03-20-2020, 12:22 PM

52,544 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just making sure we're on the same page. So then you agree that America was NOT on the ball and screwed up our response to the virus then?
not on the ball enough, yes. it could have and should have been faster. same with the response of germany, switzerland, UK, japan, and many others.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not on the ball enough, yes. it could have and should have been faster. same with the response of germany, switzerland, UK, japan, and many others.
Trump spent two months bashing the Democrats and the media and telling people to go about life as usual because coronavirus was no worse than the flu. He could have spent that time listening to scientists and urging Americans to engage in social distancing while at the same time doing everything in his power to ramp up testing.

You can't even play the "well gee golly, nobody knew it was going to be this bad" card because Commissioner Adam Silver saw the writing on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies