Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You get what you vote for California, Philly and NY.
Right now people are getting it everywhere i.e. politician created hardship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Among the nation's 20 largest cities, San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes theft, shoplifting and vandalism.

If I was a petty thief, it's where I would go, it just makes sense. Thanks San Fran!

Really nice for car thieves too. That Prop 47 is working so well!

The jump in retail theft is just one part of the picture when it comes to property theft in the state. According to the San Francisco Police Department, there is a car break-in every 22 minutes in the city, resulting in the formation of neighborhood “vigilantes” devoted to stopping break-ins. A 2018 study found evidence that Prop 47 was a contributing factor in the almost 20 percent-increase in car break-ins from 2014 to 2016.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Yes, they did, Propesition 47. It downgraded thefts of less than $950 to a misdemeanor, and ia rise in shoplifting has been attributed to it. E.g.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ced-penalties/
This is not what we're talking about.

Misdemeanors are crimes. Under California law (revised to reflect the terms of Proposition 47), people convicted of misdemeanor theft can be incarcerated for up to six months. What we are talking about is the decision of a district attorney not to prosecute them.

D.A. Chesa Boudin (the son of domestic terrorists) declared that there would be no prosecutions for this crime. Boudin was elected, so you can blame the voters if you want, but they absolutely did not specifically agree to this policy.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That doesn't mean they won't be prosecuted. It just lowered the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor.

But yes, depending on priors you can basically shoplift with no consequences in California if you are below the $950 threshold. The shoplifting rings are now very sophisticated...often made up of former employees who know corporate policies.

Walgreens, the store in the video, instructs their employees to only call the police after the shoplifters have left the store and you "feel safe". Even prior to this crisis shoplifters knew that the cops weren't going to prioritize the call in large urban areas. Now it's game on.

Interestingly enough, the ban on plastic bags has made spotting shoplifters more difficult for employees.

This really is one crazy state. Still love it here though.
Our managers are not allowed to call police for shoplifting, even for fuel drive offs, the most they can do is ask the person to leave the store, and in the case of someone driving off with paying for fuel, they can take down their plate and they can be refused service if they return, but no one ever checks plates on people buying fuel, so its useless to even take down the plate number.

However with our stores, (gas stations/convenience stores), we dont have anything super expensive, its all low price, high markup, and shoplifting does not really significantly impact our P&Ls, and depending on the different supplier contracts, many even cover shrink 100%, some cover 50%, 25%, some products are scan based, meaning the store isnt charged until someone pays for the item.

When it comes to shoplifting, it really depends on what is stolen and the supplier, as to how significant it is, this goes for ALL retail stores though, they all have different suppliers and they all have contracts, there are MANY products in the stores that are scan based, when these are stolen, it doesnt impact the store one bit, (and actually it doesnt impact the supplier that much), it varies considerably.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Among the nation's 20 largest cities, San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes theft, shoplifting and vandalism.

If I was a petty thief, it's where I would go, it just makes sense. Thanks San Fran!

Yep, home of the porch pirate

https://www.sfgate.com/living/articl...a-14882572.php

Old 03-21-2020, 08:54 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And you will be the one in jail for murdering an unarmed individual. Is it worth it? Let's look at the cost of someone looting $250 worth of random items.

List from highest cost to lowest.

1. Human life
2. Cost of arrest and incarceration
3. Items that amount to $250 retail
4. Business real cost is less than retail price minus any theft insurance or writing off the items as a loss.

You're willing to go to jail for the rest of your life because you lost $250 of items? Does that sound logical?

What is incredible is that we allow men in suits on Wall St. to take from us through the weakness of the federal government. They take so much that you as an individual can afford less each year even though you may feel like you are well off, these corporations are taking more and more of your money, in the billions, through federal subsidies and bailouts. Taking it right out of your pocket. Yet, you will shoot an individual who takes a few items or just one from a store. Amazing.

imagine how much better we would be if there were equitable tax laws. We probably wouldn't even need social security. Everyone would be able to save enough themselves to retire.

They convinced you to believe that because they are in glass corner offices, they know what is best for you. They tell you that they deserve not to be scrutinized but to be admired and respected because they "provide jobs" and liquidity. Meanwhile, they go to congress and lobby for ways to take more money from you at no cost.

But we don't talk about shooting them.

A CEO making millions from a company that twists the system to its benefit, STILL finds ways to fail, yet convinces us that we need to continually bail them out while the CEO make millions per year in a failing company. We bail them out. They send the CEO off with a golden parachute to appease the government. They bring in a new CEO. All is well because there is "new" leadership. Wash rinse, repeat.

But they deserve our blessings and someone who is probably hungry deserves are wrath.

Some of our greatest citizens rise from the ashes of poverty and bad choices. We never know who that will be.

I am always amazed when I hear successful people recall how they were living in their cars homeless before climbing out of poverty. Or that person who stole a few things in their youth who were transformed into people we admire.

If thieves should be shot, here you go:

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebri...g-confessions/

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-e...les-in-2009-11
The person writing the above bilge represents the type of person who votes to decriminalize theft. Notice the different arguments the author uses to turn the criminal into the victim. You work for it, some criminal comes in and takes it from your car, house, or business, and it's you who are the problem because you don't value human life. What BS. It's only $250!! Yeah, right, multiplied by the number of people per day taking advantage of what amounts to no law enforcement.

Reduce looting and theft. Shoot them.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
The person writing the above bilge represents the type of person who votes to decriminalize theft. Notice the different arguments the author uses to turn the criminal into the victim. You work for it, some criminal comes in and takes it from your car, house, or business, and it's you who are the problem because you don't value human life. What BS. It's only $250!! Yeah, right, multiplied by the number of people per day taking advantage of what amounts to no law enforcement.

Reduce looting and theft. Shoot them.
You must also consider that some of the things being stolen/shoplifted, its not impacting anyones P&Ls. Suppliers and vendors have contracts with the stores for their products, these contracts greatly vary in what they cover, many will cover 100% shrink.

Many retail products are also 'scan based', meaning the store is only charged when someone buys the product, if its stolen off the shelf, that doesnt impact the store at all, and in many cases, it doesnt even impact the supplier, (because they have coverage for this).

Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
California is such a screwed up cesspool that I’m not surprised. You could not pay me to live there, or even go there. Too bad, because it is such a beautiful state.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 AM

364 posts, read 121,072 times
Folks downplaying the impact of this legislation are despicable.
Those taking advantage of this new legislation and looting stores, whether corporately or privately owned, are even more despicable.
There is always talk about culling the herd. I think both of these groups should be prime candidates.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I don't typically condone vigilantism, but when the government basically tells you "you're on your own pal" then all bets are off.
Agreed. Doesnt change a whole lot for LE. Though. All they're good for in normal times is cleaning the scene and carting off the bodies.

Now they'll still do that, just without an investigation and in CA making sure the victim who defended themselves is arrested and charged with weapons violations and violations of the criminals right of course.

(Sigh) And people wonder why I'm armed the way I am and why I carry a weapon. I refuse to be food for bipreds. I'm not going to "just submit" to being robbed or otherwise assaulted depending on the attackers mercy. Not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies