Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That poster who just answered you is far from thoughtful and a realist.
Don’t underestimate the value of your opinion here. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 10:00 AM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Don’t underestimate the value of your opinion here. :-)
Well, I'm not underestimating the value of your opinion. I will say this. I think you called said person's statement "thoughtful" and "realist" because it was something you wanted to hear.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
It is already a red state. The white liberals in California - as well as NY and Pacific NW voting blue do so to protect their own investments, not because they disagree with red state policies. For instance, just about every white so-called liberal Hollywood producer and other entertainment top execs included late-night guys are conservative/republicans at heart. California is a state that manages to stay blue because of its low black/minority population (Hispanics don't count, they are largely European descent). Low minority population - about 1 - 7% in most parts, makes the state's racial conflicts manageable and therefore does not have to go full red on policy as do Northern, Midwest, and Southern states.
Taking away the hispanic percentage, California is still roughly 28% non-white -Asian and Black percentages are basically in reverse of the national percentage.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...S,CA/PST045219

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
California is a red state. Most people living there align with conservative/republican values. It only became liberal for profits during the many many years of political correctness. Minority populations in CA are very low compared to the rest of the country. Not so long ago, California enforced laws to keep blacks out of the state. Almost every town outside of Los Angeles and Oakland are low numbers or extremely anti-black. There are reasons for those high rents....

Low black numbers in California has allowed plenty of wiggleroom for its major cities which are most of what makes it blue. Southern and Midwestern states have to work their policies around high black/minority populations.

I get the gist of what you're saying - that white liberals are only liberal because blacks are low in the state. Not quite true for Illinois, especially Cook (holds 40% of the state's population and a big factor in why it's blue) and certain downstate counties like St. Clair (East St. Louis is there). Cook County is home to 1.2 million blacks(23.9%), making it the state county with the largest black population in the US. It's been Democrat for a long time. Also, there are a huge number of Hispanics(overwhelmingly Mexican) that has now surpassed the black non-Hispanic population in the county and state and a growing number of Asians (reflecting the national average). If anything, the enormous influx of Hispanics (and to a lesser extent Asians) in the last 30 years played a heavy hand in how California became to be a blue state.

I will say this. Illinois Democrat/liberalism (specifically Cook/Chicago) is of a different caliber from that of California. It has its roots in the blue collar sector and upholding the support of the union, although just about everything you could find in a big liberal city is found here. The most socially liberal section of the city is the north side, 5-10% Black out of over 1 million, which I guess supports your point. However, Dupage County(west suburban county) has relatively low number of Blacks as well and it's either red or purple (note that it has voted more Democrat in recent years. I wonder why?). Dupage is almost 13% Asian and an even slightly larger amount of Hispanics.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 03-24-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 11:46 AM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I'm not underestimating the value of your opinion. I will say this. I think you called said person's statement "thoughtful" and "realist" because it was something you wanted to hear.
So you don’t agree with him/her?

Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Your thoughts?
Hogs would be buzzing the flight deck.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:36 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So you don’t agree with him/her?
The particular post you replied to, not I don't agree.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
The entertainment industry would crumble. So would the tech industry. The result would be economic. This would result in the refugees moving to a blue state creating a huge economic disparity. That said, it wouldn't happen because those industries are deeply embedded in California. Conservatives are not known for their education or creativity. In fact, they call the educated creatives insulting names with no skills beyond basket weaving and say a movie isn't worth watching unless it has John Wayne in it.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:46 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh sure it will. California's been conservative before, and it will be again.

But not in our lifetimes.
Let's just call it "selectively liberal." As someone who has spent a great amount of time in CA and red states as well, I can say the majority of people in CA are against immigration from south of the border and other poorer countries, have been largely against racial integration in schools, neighborhoods, and employment, and it is probably the most successful of all states with large populations at keeping the minority count low (all except for south of the border).

Old 03-24-2020, 12:56 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Taking away the hispanic percentage, California is still roughly 28% non-white -Asian and Black percentages are basically in reverse of the national percentage.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...S,CA/PST045219

I get the gist of what you're saying - that white liberals are only liberal because blacks are low in the state. Not quite true for Illinois, especially Cook (holds 40% of the state's population and a big factor in why it's blue) and certain downstate counties like St. Clair (East St. Louis is there). Cook County is home to 1.2 million blacks(23.9%), making it the state county with the largest black population in the US. It's been Democrat for a long time. Also, there are a huge number of Hispanics(overwhelmingly Mexican) that has now surpassed the black non-Hispanic population in the county and state and a growing number of Asians (reflecting the national average). If anything, the enormous influx of Hispanics (and to a lesser extent Asians) in the last 30 years played a heavy hand in how California became to be a blue state.

I will say this. Illinois Democrat/liberalism (specifically Cook/Chicago) is of a different caliber from that of California. It has its roots in the blue collar sector and upholding the support of the union, although just about everything you could find in a big liberal city is found here. The most socially liberal section of the city is the north side, 5-10% Black out of over 1 million, which I guess supports your point. However, Dupage County(west suburban county) has relatively low number of Blacks as well and it's either red or purple (note that it has voted more Democrat in recent years. I wonder why?). Dupage is almost 13% Asian and an even slightly larger amount of Hispanics.
That is it exactly.

Correct again.

Asians and Hispanics are not as much racial minorities as blacks. Much of the time, they are able to blend in and relate with non-Hispanic whites in a way that blacks never will. However, both groups are still considered minorities, especially when not assimilating fully into US culture.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Your thoughts?
It will take work from the American people, but it can be done. It won't happen right away, but if enough people take a stand, then this can work. The same thing with New York State and the Chicago metropolitan area. I think when Californians wake up and see the damage being done via endless regulations which kill jobs and individual liberties, not to mention taxation to oblivion, they'll be sick and tired and will want big change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies